Turning Back the Pages

30 years ago – August 16, 1985

Central City Police Officer Mike McClernan gave his letter of resignation to Police Chief Mike Brewer on August 13. The letter from McClernan stated, “I have found… that because of certain conditions existing in my department that are not conducive to my profession in law enforcement, such as those set by our superior, I find myself left with no option than to resign my position and continue my profession elsewhere.” McClernan gave the effective date of his resignation as yesterday. Brewer did not want to comment about the letter written by McClernan. He did say that McClernan’s position will be filled as soon as possible and when a replacement is approved by the Central City Council. McClernan accepted the position as police officer for Central City on May 1, 1985.

Work is progressing on the paving project on Highway 46. Monday, the crew from Flatiron Paving Company of Boulder was busy scraping and grading the roadbed. The company will be paving a 1.7 mile section of the highway inside Golden Gate State Park and a 1.1 mile section southeast of the park. In some spots, the course of Ralston Creek is being altered. Flatiron Paving has been working “hand in hand” with the Environmental Protection Agency on that. Screening has been set up along the stream to keep any dirt out of the creek and away from fish. The EPA is monitoring the project. The projected completion date for the paving is Halloween, October 31. However, Flatiron Paving hopes to be done by the middle of next month. They are hoping for dry weather so that target date can be met.

By Janet Davis: Thursdays are always interesting at the Register-Call. That’s press day for us, meaning all deadlines have to be met and production kept on schedule. It doesn’t always work right. There are a myriad of things that can go wrong and often do. Knowing this keeps the excitement levels up and keeps us on our toes. Last week things got a little more exciting than usual, however, when we thought the building was on fire! It all started with an awful smell, like burning trash, that led us out the back door to find dense clouds of billowing smoke in the confined area behind the building. Claire Tanner, Debi George, and I could not tell exactly where it was coming from, so they went up and around to the back of the building. From that vantage point the smoke appeared to be coming from the second floor. We called the fire department, and I went to the second floor to check. It was fine, so I figured the smoke must be coming from the third floor, and promptly told the dispatcher to send the firemen around to the back of the building for better access. That, of course, left Clair and Debi in front of the building wondering why in the world the fire trucks passed them by and went to the corner and up the hill. Phil Anderle showed up first, took our fire extinguisher, and went out the back door. The “fire” was not upstairs at all. It turned out that the people in the shop next to us were barbecuing their lunch and had set up their grilling apparatus outside the back door. The incident didn’t last very long but it certainly was exciting for a while. After all, it’s not every day we call in a false alarm to the local fire department. It’s reassuring to know that if the building had actually been on fire, help would have been immediately available.

60 years ago – August 19, 1955

At a special meeting held by the County Commissioners Tuesday morning, Mrs. Nora Scott was appointed Welfare Director for the County of Gilpin, effective September 1st, when Mrs. Susan Hollearin will retire after some ten or more years in this office. Mrs. Scott is well qualified for this position and we are confident she will make the same success as Welfare Director as she has done as Superintendent of Schools.

County Superintendent Mrs. Nora Scott has appointed Mrs. Frances Russell as President of School Board No. 1, of Central City to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Mr. Ray Colburn, who is the acting postmaster. She has also appointed Mrs. Mildred Blake as President of the Black Hawk School Board, to succeed her husband, Norman, who has resigned. Both offices are temporary and extend only until the next election of school directors. We think her appointments are very consistent, and feel sure the new appointees will be as efficient as their predecessors.

We are sorry to learn that County Judge Wm. S. Barrick has been under the weather for the past week, suffering from an attack of pleurisy. You know, Bill, there are close to one hundred thousand cases pending before the County Court, so you’d better get well fast in order to handle them within the next two weeks.

Mrs. Alfred Naigle (Erika Hoins) and four little sons of Oklahoma City and Mrs. August Hoins were visiting friends here last Monday.

While on a fishing trip with Mr. and Mrs. Lou Strang last Tuesday, Mrs. Ethel States had the bad luck to fall and fracture her left elbow, which she is now carrying in a sling.

Mrs. D. T. Taylor was 90 years old August 12. Her nephew Arthur Dybro and wife came up from Denver to help celebrate the occasion. The following Monday, a grandson, Raymond Stephens and family, brought pasties and other food for a party.

Mr. Chris Bierhaus celebrated his 80th birthday last Sunday.

The party, or reception, given Monday evening at Gilpin, has been pronounced a great success. This particular gathering, sponsored by the Misses Merla Kicett and Esther Rings, of Ye Olde Fashioned Eating House, were gracious hostesses and the many thousands who attended report a most enjoyable evening.

While working at Midwest Steel & Iron Works, Mr. F. E. Goodwin dropped a heavy sawhorse on his foot, breaking several bones.

Everyone is invited to attend the Black Hawk Firemen’s Picnic Sunday at Quartz Valley. The fun will start about 12:00 noon.

90 years ago – August 21, 1925

No matter what happens, somebody knew that it would.

Earl Harris, a miner from Silver Plume employed by the East Butte Copper Company, was caught in a cave in Wednesday at the hopper in the Glory Hole Mine on the dump at the Diamond tunnel from which material is being drawn for the mill. The dirt held up and Earl was endeavoring to get it sliding to the hopper when hundreds of tons began moving at once and carried him into the hopper in an upright position. He was covered with several feet of dirt, but the quick action of alert, sturdy miners quickly cribbed a shaft down uncovering his head and it required from three until 9 o’ clock to get him out. Dr. Fraser was in attendance to render stimulants and medical treatment if needed, but fortunately Earl was not injured save for cuts and bruises. Even his glasses were not broken and his many friends rejoice because of his miraculous escape.

Another nice shower Wednesday afternoon and evening with prospects of more in sight. Ranchmen are crying “enough” as they are anxious to put up their crops of hay, but which cannot be done under present conditions.

Mr. O.L. Patterson, who has given up his lease on the Gilpin-Eureka Mine, in this city, finished cleaning up the ore broken in the mine last week which has been treated in the Buell Mill, and received as returns gold retorts weighing 149 ounces from 32 cords. The mill dirt produced 17 tons of lead concentrates, carrying close to 50% lead to the ton, over two ounces gold and some silver, making their value in the neighborhood of $125 per ton, and close to 40 tons of iron concentrates, which will carry only nominal values as the greater values were taken out by amalgamation and the lead separated therefrom. The new pool are working steadily and breaking ore that will be shipped to the smelters and mills in the near future.

Blake Brothers of Black Hawk have hauled in three cords of mill ore from the Cornucopia Mine during the week, for treatment at the Polar Star Mill. The last lot of ore from this mine treated at this mill returned 13 ounces gold to the cord and this lot is expected to be equally as good.

Mrs. L. J. Williams and children, who have been occupying their cottage here for the past month, left for their home in Denver last Thursday afternoon.

A son of Jack Reynolds was up from Denver Saturday on a short visit at the old home, now known as the Hawley residence on Lawrence Street, near the school house where he was born.

Sheriff Oscar Williams and wife motored to Denver Monday from where Mrs. Williams will continue her trip to Woodman, Colorado, for an extended visit with relatives, and in the hopes a lower climate will prove beneficial to her health, which has been very poor of late.

120 years ago – August 16, 1895

AD: When in need of a good job of horse or mule shoeing, wagon repairing, a new heavy quartz wagon, or anything in the blacksmith line, be sure and call on Downs, Odgers & Holck, at their new shop in this city. They are each and every one masters of their trade, use only the best of materials, and do first class work. Since the 1st of the month they have adopted the cash system, which will apply to all parties, and they hope by the adoption of such a system to be able to do work cheaper than any other firm in the mountains.

A party of Austrian and Italian miners last Sunday evening sat down to play a game of cards at their quarters in Lake Gulch. During the game one of the players became enraged. The more the others tried to pacify him the more violent was his language. Finally he was so offensive to the others playing in the game that one of the party, who was dealing at the time, tore the pack of cards up, then a pitched battle occurred, the fight lasting fully half an hour, in which all present took part. Shovels, picks, rocks and everything available at the time were used in the fracas. Those who witnessed the battle between the belligerents state that it would have been a hazardous undertaking to attempt to pacify the two factions. Neighbors residing in the vicinity aver that the racket was kept up at intervals until near midnight. No charges being preferred, no arrests were made. The outcome of the fracas was a number of sore heads the following morning among the participants. Moral: ‘Twere better that brethren should dwell together in unity.

Mr. John Teague, little son and daughter, Miss Katie, who have been enjoying a visit at Butte City, Montana, returned to Central last Friday evening. He reports that brother William, and Mr. Jos. Richards, both former residents of this city, are having a good business in their respective lines of merchandise. Jack says Butte City is “some grand place.”

Mr. C.C. Miller, accompanied by his son Charles and Frank Beaman, left Central in fine style Saturday morning for the lakes near James Peak. The party was well supplied with fishing tackle. Mr. Miller being a disciple of Ike Walton, gave his son and Frank lessons in angling for the speckled beauties which, by further practice, will enable them to become adepts.

Miss Ida Kruse, of this city, who has been enjoying an outing at the camp of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Kemp on the Middle Boulder, above Nederland, has returned. Miss Ida is quite an adept in angling for trout.

Born: In Central City, August 11, 1895, to the wife of John Kruse, a ten-pound daughter. The mother and daughter are getting along nicely, and John is as happy as a king, and has been congratulated many times by his numerous friends.

Born: On Smith Hill, Bay State district, Gilpin County, August 12, 1895, to the wife of Leon Jones, a son.

Born: In Nevadaville, August 12, 1895, to the wife of Henry Matthew, a son.

Married: At the Church of the Assumption, this city, August 15, 1895, Mr. Louis Fick and Miss Anna Kearns, both of Black Hawk. The newly wedded couple left on the afternoon train for Denver, where they will spend their honeymoon. Both are well known in Gilpin County, are happily mated, and their many friends extend hearty congratulations, with the hopes that their married life may be a long and happy one, and that they may always enjoy peace, plenty and prosperity.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button