Turning Back the Pages

 30 years ago – August 9, 1985

Two people were transported by Flight for Life to St. Anthony Hospital in Denver on August 4 after suffering incapacitating injuries in a one vehicle accident. The accident occurred at mile post six on Highway 119, near the Gold Dust Village. According to the report prepared by Trooper Doug Lemons of the Colorado State Patrol, the 1961 Chevrolet pickup was proceeding north on Highway 119. The estimated speed was 45 in a 40 mph zone. The pickup, driven by Coy Morris, 28, of Beinger, Oklahoma, went off the east edge of the highway and traveled 39 feet onto the shoulder of the road. Morris reportedly overcompensated and went back on the road. The truck crossed the highway, went off the west edge of the road, traveled 12 feet on the dirt shoulder, and went down the embankment. The pickup came to a rest on its side in North Clear Creek. The passenger in the pickup was identified as Edward Silva, 30, previously of Gilpin County. Silva now lives in Denver. Lemons would not say Wednesday if citations will be issued as a result of the accident. He did say that Morris and Silva are recovering at St. Anthony Hospital and would be released in a few days.

The Union Rural Electric Association, Inc., will not be providing cable television service to their customers. Dave Dunnell, manager of administrative services for UREA, said Monday that “the board decided in their meeting July 10 that the enrollments were insufficient to support the investments required.” The cable television project would have been a $5 million investment. According to Dunnell, there were 7,200 potential subscribers. Of those, 2,604 are in the Central City to Nederland area. To begin construction of the project, UREA needed 50% of their consumers to subscribe. “It really is a shame,” Dunnell said. “Everyone anticipated going ahead.” Any further consideration of again offering the cable television service to UREA consumers is not planned. “The board presently feels that the decision is final.”

Tuesday, the deeds for the Clark School property were filed in the Gilpin County Clerk & Recorder’s Office, and Nancy Sandrock recorded them. Gilpin County purchased the property from the RE-1 School District. The $225,000 purchase price was funded by a mineral impact assistance grant from the state. The purchase was first proposed in June 1983 by the County Commissioners who were then Van Cullar, Jerry Ward, and Don Diltz. The building will be used as a courthouse annex. There should also be some room for other community purposes. The county plans to have public meetings next month to discuss the use of the property, which is in Central City. Gilpin County received a $100,000 grant to remodel the building.

The bells at St. James Methodist Church and St. May’s Catholic Church in Central City began ringing at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday and rang continuously for five minutes. The bell at St. James was rung by Linda Hargrave and Esther Campbell. The bell at St. Mary’s was run by Virginia Starkey. The event was held as a pause for peace commemorating the 40th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima, Japan. An organization called “Pause for Peace/ Beyond War” in Denver asked that every bell in Colorado be rung on August 6 at 3:30 p.m. for a five minute period. All people in Colorado were asked to “pause at the ringing of the bells to remember and reflect on a way to take a step toward peace.” Coincidentally, a group of students from Japan, attending the University of Colorado at Boulder for the summer to learn English, were touring Central City prior to the bells ringing. The students appeared pleased about the purpose of the event.

60 years ago – August 12, 1955

By “The Rae” (the Editor): I have recently discovered that swearing is not conducive for help of a sore shoulder and arm. It has never cured rheumatism or helped buy the necessities of life. It isn’t recommended for any of the infirmities that come to mankind after he has passed 40 years. It may bring temporary relief when all the ailments come crowding around you, but it still does no good. There is no occasion of swearing outside a newspaper office, wherein it is most useful when Tom does not appear to give his talents on the linotype; when you read a proof, and later, scanning the paper, you have left something out; when lifting a “form” on the press and the type is dropped out; when the linotype develops a cantankerous streak; when the folder refuses to fold; when someone comes in and criticizes you because you have spelled her name with a capital “B” instead of Hutt. There is no occasion for swearing outside of a newspaper office, as it is a very foolish and wicked habit.

Well, there’s not much to talk about except the weather. During my early youth of 92 years ago I have witnessed many summers wherein rain fell every day, but after a small deluge, the skies cleared and Old Sol beamed forth. This summer, blue skies greet you in the morning, and later a drizzle rain starts falling and continues during the afternoon and night, causing a lot of inconvenience to opera goers (a crying shame), and particularly to my bald pate, as I try to be a young Rah Rah boy and do not wear a hat. It has been a most peculiar summer and we hope the Clerk of the Weather will rectify it.

The two glamorous school teachers from Kansas who for the past three years have been assimilating psychology and knowledge of the human race as waitresses at Ye Olde Fashioned Eating House, in order that they may more aptly expound to their curriculum duties as to the way of life, extend an invitation to all citizens of Gilpin County to join with them in a momentous occasion at their cabin at Gilpin, Colo., Monday evening, August 15th, where they have prepared two dozen wieners; a half watermelon and two small packages of potato chips to appease the hunger of those who attend. These two school Marms, Misses Merla Kicett and Ester Rings recently purchased a cabin at Gilpin, which is over fifty years of age, has been named “The Old Timer,” have made many improvements thereon and now is comparable to their beauty. Nothing but H2o will be served as both femmes are strict adherents of the W.C.T.U. tenets. It is anticipated that a wonderful and pleasant evening will be enjoyed.

“Rocky” Sorenson, 3-year old son of Mr. and Mrs. V. Sorenson, fell from a balcony Monday night a distance of over ten feet, receiving severe cuts and bruises. Dr. Fowler, of Idaho Springs, was called and found no broken bones, but it will be several weeks before he will recover from his injuries.

Clarence Wood, who was born in Russell Gulch, died last Friday at St. Anthony’s Hospital, at the age of 54. He has been a resident of Denver for the past 40 years or more. He is survived by his widow, his father, three daughters, two sons, three brothers, nine sisters, and 11 grandchildren.

90 years ago – August 14, 1925

“Hearts of Oak,” an all-star Oliver Cottonwood production and a Fox News will be the picture program at the opera house, Saturday evening, August 15th.

A Recipe for Rice with Bananas: Season cold boiled rice with melted butter, the grated rind of a lemon, and sweeten to taste with sugar. Add the yolks of two eggs well beaten, cook until thick, then pack into a boarder mold and keep warm ten minutes. Turn out carefully on a plate, fill the center with sliced sweetened bananas. Pour over the pudding a syrup flavored with lemon, orange, or any fruit juice.

A heavy rain and flood at the mouth of the canyon just outside of Golden on Tuesday afternoon delayed the train from Denver several hours, not arriving in Black Hawk until after 9 o’clock that evening.

Willis B. Askew and bride arrived Thursday from Oklahoma City and will spend several days here.

  1. Matthews and James Grenfell Sr. are wrecking the E.W. Davis house and will use the lumber in a construction of a garage at Golden.

Mrs. J.G. Hughes and daughters returned Thursday from an extended visit in Denver.

George McFarlane came up from Denver Saturday evening, returning Sunday afternoon.

L.J. Williams came up Saturday to spend the weekend with his family, returning to Denver Monday morning.

Mrs. Charles Kruse arrived Sunday from Denver on a visit with Mrs. Wm. Neno.

Richard Rowe has moved his family up from Denver and expected to remain.

The Pewabic Mine shaft has been drained of water and it is reported that good ore is showing at the bottom.

  1. Ellis arrived Sunday from Denver and will spend his vacation here with his family who are guests of her parents Mr. and Mrs. S.T. Harris.

While coming up Virginia Canyon on Saturday evening, Wm. Davey had his car badly damaged in a collision with another car.

120 years ago – August 9, 1895

AD: The wide-awake Black Hawk merchants Sleep & Metcalf, continue to be popular with all in need of fancy or staple groceries. Selling at low prices, and dealing in none but first class goods, they enjoy a splendid trade. Hence their popularity. By placing orders with them you will not doubt the verity of the statements made.

From the Editor, to the Grumblers and Fault-Finders: It is an easy thing to grumble and find fault with the editor. Somebody comes to visit you and because he does not find it out (you could easily have told him about it, of course) and publish it, you are provoked. Nobody puts himself to any inconvenience to tell the editor about anything good, but will go out of the way to kick about his shortcomings. Give the poor cuss half a chance, anyway. It costs you nothing to help him, and not only makes his paper better, but increases your interest in it. His task is greater than you think.

The hard rainfall of last week completely flooded the mines of the Hard Money District. Among others the Polly Mine, property of the Gould Silver Mining Company of Boston. It will take quite a length of time and the expenditure of considerable money to put the property in working order again.

The Kimber 15-stamp mill at Apex, Pine Creek District, was started up on Thursday the first instant. The mill is being supplied with ore from the Booster and other mines of the district. The Booster is considered one of the main veins of the district.

Mr. John Benson was a caller at this office Tuesday morning. He reports that the steam pump recently placed in the Old Kentucky Mine, Hawkeye District, is doing effective work, and that the engine shaft has been relieved of water so as to permit sinking to a further depth. Development work in the tunnel on the same property is to be resumed. He also reports that there is an amount of work yet required to put the roads in that district in proper shape for traffic.

Charley Bunce, while driving down Four Mile Gulch into Black Hawk Saturday morning, the conveyance in which he was riding upset on a sidling piece of road. His left arm and leg were badly bruised but no bones were broken. He met with a similar accident about a year ago at the same place.

Master Joseph Hesselbine, son of Mr. Chris. Hesselbine, is visiting his grandmother, Mrs. Walker, in Russell district. The lad is a native of Leavenworth, and being a lover of flowers, while here he will collect varieties with which to further adorn his floral album.

Born: In Russell Gulch, August 1, 1895, to the wife of Richard I. Hughes, a daughter, weight 10 pounds. Richard is himself again and has been setting up cigars to his friends in a regular fatherly manner.

Born: In Russell Gulch, August 8th, 1895, to the wife of Alonia Schamick, a son.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button