Turning back the pages

30 years ago – May 4, 1990

Volunteers carefully moved a massive wood and glass display case from the Teller House to its new home in the Gilpin County Historical Society Museum, on Wednesday. Originally used in a Central City dry goods store, the case was donated to the Opera Association by Mrs. Jessie Hollecker. The Association decided to loan it to the museum in order to gain space in the Teller House for special events.

The investigation into the fire that severely damaged the Gilpin Hotel has uncovered information pointing to a suspect, said Arson Investigator Mike Russell. Deputies in the district attorney’s office however, feel the evidence is not quite enough to file charges. The department hasn’t given up, Russell said. The DA’s office wants to be certain of a conviction before filing charges, and Russell is confident the case will come together soon. “We’re very close [to having the needed information],” he said. Investigators are still getting phone calls about the case, but lately the information has been confirmation of the evidence collected previously. What the investigators need now is evidence placing “certain individuals around the Gilpin Hotel, or cruising the area between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m.,” Russell said. Anyone with information can call the Gilpin County Sheriff’s Office, Mike Russell, Crime Stoppers, or the Arson Hotline. Callers’ identities can be kept secret, and Crime Stoppers is offering a $1,000 reward, the Arson Hotline $5,000, for information leading to a conviction.

The Jefferson County District Attorney’s Office is still trying to obtain dental records in order to identify the remains of one of the bodies retrieved from a mine near Central City last week. Although circumstances indicate that the second body is that of John McDaniel, who vanished with Luke Clyburn in 1981, they need dental records to confirm it. Because the dental records are so old—at least nine years old—explained Investigator Phil Anderson, they have been “archived.” Several dental offices have been located where McDaniel was treated, but the offices need more time to retrieve records that old. The DA’s office is conducting interviews with people who had dealings with Clyburn, McDaniel, the Chain O’Mines, and the National Mine at the time the men disappeared, Anderson said. Some of the people the DA’s office would like to talk to have scattered far and wide, he said. Anyone with information relevant to the case is encouraged to call Anderson, or the Gilpin County Sheriff’s Office.

Died: Mansur Tinsley, who served as legal counsel for the Gilpin RE-1 School District from 1970-1974, died April 7, 1990, at the Boulder Canyon home of his son. He was 75 years old. Born January 14th, 1915, in Boulder, Tinsley attended schools there, including Boulder Prep and later the University of Colorado. He graduated from the University Of Missouri School Of Journalism, and worked for a time at an Evansville, Indiana, newspaper. After earning a law degree from CU, he began a career in law that lasted more than 45 years. Tinsley worked as a government attorney and later served in the U.S. Army. He was discharged in 1946 with the rank of captain. Tinsley served a two-year term in the Colorado legislature, as Jefferson County Attorney and Public Administrator for Jefferson County. He was active in numerous professional organizations, and was a senior partner in the law firm of Tinsley, Frantz, Fleming and Davidson before his retirement. In 1943, he married Helen Leona Holton. She preceded him in death in 1986. He is survived by a son, Mansur Patrick Tinsley; a daughter, Mary Louise Kerns, and five grandchildren. Funeral services were held April 20, at Crist Mortuary Chapel in Boulder.

60 years ago – May 13, 1960

Central City Nuggets:

This and That, by Dave Cully: This week was a week like all weeks filled with events which alter and illuminate our schooling. The final tests are coming up soon and, as a matter of fact, next week is the week which will seal the fate of our present seniors in G.C.H.S. Then they will trudge out into this world of trouble and try and make a go of things and, since most of the seniors are going to college of one sort or another, some might have lots of luck and become a real success; I hope they all do because they deserve it. Right now, though, most of the boys are washing their cars and are making them pretty so they can take a pretty girl to a pretty Prom and, if I keep this up, it will begin to sound pretty crazy.

Hugh L. Lawry is convalescing at St. Anthony’s Hospital in Denver from an operation on one of his eyes. Hugh wanted this operation performed before the influx of pretty female visitors invade our city and his eyes can be focused particularly on the dames in abbreviated costumes

Died: Robert H. Sayre, a widely known Colorado mining engineer and one-time business associate of former President Herbert Hoover, died Sunday in Presbyterian Hospital. He was 74. The son of Hal Sayre, a noted surveyor and mining engineer who came to Colorado and Central City in 1859, he was born in Denver on December 18th, 1905. After graduation from St. Paul’s School and Harvard University, Mr. Sayre served as an airplane pilot in World War I. In the early 1920s, Mr. Sayre was associated in a Guatemala business venture with fellow mining engineer Herbert Hoover. He was a resident of Central City in the early 20s and was an employee of the Rocky Mountain National Bank, of which he was a director. He owned extensive mining property in Gilpin County, and had a beautiful summer home at Lake Manchester. Surviving in addition to his wife Gertrude are two sons: Robert Jr., of Grand Junction and William, of Denver; three daughters: Mrs. Demaris Hoyl, of Denver, Mrs. Pyllis Baldwin, of Golden, and Mrs. Constance Collier of Logan, Utah; a sister, Mrs. William Berger, of Denver; and 16 grandchildren. The Sayres lost a third son, Major Hal Sayre, during World War II, when he was shot down in the Pacific during the New Guinea Campaign.

90 years ago – May 9, 1930

Mr. and Mrs. John C. Jenkins were up from Denver on Thursday of last week, the first time Mr. Jenkins was here to stay a few hours for almost a year He is gradually regaining his health and strength, and will soon be himself again.

Mrs. J.D. Richards left for Denver Wednesday afternoon, on a few days visit with her mother and other relations.

Mrs. Fred Kruse, of Gregory Point, is visiting her son Horace in New Mexico.

Mr. and Mrs. James Rule came up from Denver on Thursday of last week, the former to attend to business matters, while the latter visited with relatives and friends.

Died: In Central City, the evening of May 7th, 1930, Charles Arthur Frost, of stomach trouble, aged 57 years. Mr. Frost had been suffering from an ulcerated stomach for several years, but still attended work and business matters until the day before his death. Wednesday evening, he was sitting in a rocking chair, apparently free from pain, and Mr. Jake Leidinger, who has been handling his work being done for the company he represented, was by his side and, seeing his restful appearance and condition, left for the picture show, and told Mrs. Frost he would return to render any aid necessary after the show. Before the show was over, Mr. Leidinger was summoned and, when he arrived, Mr. Frost had answered the summons. A spasm had ruptured his bowels, and death followed. Mr. Frost had been a resident of the county for at least 35 years, first residing in Black Hawk, and moving to Central some 20 years ago. He was an active, energetic citizen, and the announcement of his death will prove a surprise and shock to his many friends throughout the county. He was the manager of the Delmonico Mining Company, which has a lease on the Delmonico Mine, and was driving the Quartz Hill Tunnel, to intersect the vein at great depth, on which work has been carried on for the past three years. He was a member of Central City Lodge No. 6, A.F. & A.M. of this city, and is survived by his widow; a daughter, Mrs. R.B. Raylor, of Quincy, Massachusetts, and a son Arthur, who is attending the State University. No arrangements had been made for the funeral up to the time of going to press.

120 years ago – May 11, 1900

Mr. F.G. Nagel came up from Denver Thursday morning, on business matters and to view scenes of earlier days.

Mrs. B.H. Lake and daughter, Miss Lily who had been visiting with relatives in Denver, returned to Central Tuesday evening.

Mrs. Ralph Chase and children left Sunday for Rollins, Missouri, on a visit with relatives and friends.

William Gerry, of Nevadaville, was judged insane by a jury in the county court on Saturday afternoon and, on Tuesday, was taken to Denver and placed in the county hospital by Sheriff Thomas Cody. It is believed his insanity is only temporary, caused by nervousness and the high altitude.

Thirty six pounds of gold retorts, worth in the neighborhood of $8,000, were shipped through the First National Bank in this city the first of the week, to the Denver Mint by manager Frank C. Young, of the Gunnell Mining Company, being the stamp mill product of that company for the month of April. The gold shipments for the month of March weighed an even 40 pounds, and the April product would have been greatly increased had not shipments from the mine been curtailed by the big snowstorm. Sinking in the main shaft had to be abandoned for the present on account of the large quantity of surface water that finds its way into the lower workings. The Cornish pump is working eight strokes per minute and is raising a lake of water every twenty-four hours. Over 100 men are working on the property, which number will be increased as soon as conditions will warrant.

Born: In Lake Gulch, May 8th, 1900, to the wife of John Ontis, a son.

Born: In Russell Gulch, May 10th, 1900, to the wife of John L. Prouse, a daughter.

Died: In Russell Gulch, May 8th, 1900, of heart disease, Mrs. Anna DeCoar, aged 45 years.

Died: William Nancarrow died at Silver Plume on Friday last, of miner’s consumption, aged 54 years. He was well known in Gilpin County.

Died: Clyde, the seven year old son of W.E. Stephens, manager of the Colorado Telephone Company of this city, while playing near the flume up Eureka Street, below the foundry, fell into the stream and was drowned, the body being found later in the flume under Main Street. The water was running through the flume with the rapidity of a mill race, and a man would have a very poor chance to saving himself, let alone a lad of seven years.

151 years ago – May 13th, 1870

Judge Forsline issued a writ of mandamus against the county clerk and recorder, commanding him to recanvass the vote of the county at the election held last September, when the votes of Central City and Russell Gulch were not counted.

Mr. A.H. Owens superseded Cady Hollister as superintendent of the Pleasant View Mining Company.

Jerry Mahaney is getting ready to start up his mill at Mahaneyville to treat ore from Russell Gulch and Nevadaville.

Mr. C.C. Welch was up from Golden during the week, on business matters.

Mr. Elias Goldman was entertaining his brother, who had just arrived from the East.

Frank Fossett, editor of the Central City Herald, made a business trip to Denver the first of the week.

Commodore Decatur, of Georgetown, had been appointed deputy assessor of Clear Creek County.

William Nicholson had arrived in Central with 120 head of cattle, which he drove up from southern Colorado.

Married: In Central City, May 10th, 1970, at the St. Louis House, by Judge William R. Kennedy, August Newman and Theresa Foster.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button