Turning back the pages

• Bookmarks: 3

30 years ago – February 2, 1990

On Saturday January 29, the Eagles wrestling team participated in the Strasburg Invitational Wrestling Tournament with 19 other teams. Two Gilpin wrestlers, Fred Weber and Brian Robertson, finished sixth in their respective weight classes. The team is busily preparing for its next event, the district qualifying tournament, to be held at Gilpin County School next Saturday, February 10. Seven schools: Byers, Denver Academy, Gilpin, Lyons, Soroco, Strasburg, and West Grande will participate. Two wrestlers from each weight class will qualify for the state wrestling meet. The tournament will be double elimination, with a cross-bracketed consolation round. That means everyone will wrestle at least twice, and a player who loses his first match could still be eligible to wrestle for third place in the consolation round. Weigh-ins for the wrestlers will start at 9:30 a.m. The first session will consist of preliminary matches beginning at 11 a.m. and quarterfinals at 1 p.m. The second session, beginning at 6 p.m., will feature the final and consolation matches. Admission will be charged for each of the two sessions in compliance with regulations of the Colorado High School Athletic Association. Admission charges are $1.50 for students K-12, $2.50 for adults. Preschool children will be admitted free.

The Social Register:

Erma Yazzie of Shiprock, NM, and Randolph Yazzie of Hogback, NM, and Mr. and Mrs. Jack Wendleton of north Gilpin County, would like to announce the upcoming marriage of their children, Jacqueline Yazzie and Marc Wendleton, both of Durango. A June wedding is planned at the Fort Lewis College chapel in Durango. A traditional Navajo ceremony will follow at Shiprock, where the tribe will construct a traditional hogan for the ceremony. Jacqueline and Marc are students at Fort Lewis College, where they will reside for a short time after the wedding. They plan to move later to Albuquerque to attend the University of New Mexico.

Died: John Henry Miller, longtime resident of Golden, died January 22nd, 1990, at the Westland Manor in Lakewood, where he had lived for the last two years. He was 80 years old. The son of John Richardson Miller and Margaret Matilda Gill, he was born October 2nd, 1909, at Missouri Lake, near Black Hawk. Spending his early years as a hard rock miner, Miller met and married Dora Mae Jay on October 4th, 1939. Over the years, he worked for the Rio Grande Railroad, Gates Rubber Co., and Remington Arms, where he made shells during WWII. After two years of managing an avocado farm in California, Miller moved to Golden, where he worked as a city street maintenance man for 35 years. Hunting, fishing, gardening, and building a house in Golden filled his free time. Surviving are his wife Dora M. Miller, son Jay E. Miller, daughter and son-in-law Charlotte (Rita Miller) and Davin Frey, all of Golden. Two sisters, Margaret Tripp, of Golden, and Viola Tripp of Clay Center, KS, and grandchildren Lisa DuBois of Atlanta, GA, Lori DuBois, Robin Frey and Dawn Frey, all of Golden, and Michael Miller of California are also survivors. In addition, he had one great-grandchild and numerous nieces and nephews. Services were held at 11a.m., Friday, January 26th, at Woods Mortuary Chapel, with interment at Golden Cemetery. The Rev. Delwyn Mass of St. James Lutheran Church officiated. Memorial contributions may be made to the American Lung Association.

60 years ago – February 12, 1960

Central City Nuggets:

Across the Crossroads, by A.F. Mayham: This year, 1960, promises to be a year full of surprise to many and to almost as many, a year of disappointments. Diversification of interests, of course, have their individual effects. Those who like gardening, digging in the ground to make things grow, can find a climbing strawberry plant, new this spring, and at least two new species of roses bordering on the Talisman colors and the cluster red bush akin to the deep crimson species. Then there is the stock market adherent who has his ups and downs and, if he has the right stocks at the right time, his disappointments will be few. When it comes to being a candidate for public office, the surprises can and usually do, sort of balance. The weatherman is constantly beset with changes, some quite unexpected, but a short time ago he hit it exactly when Christmas and New Year’s Day happened just when he said they would. Soon the air and newspapers will be full of innuendos about candidates and, instead of fighting issues, personalities will creep in and we can expect that backseat political driver HST to stick his whole lower extremities in his oral cavity—he who is without sin, let him cast the first stone. Uncle Ed says he turns off the TV a great deal because he can’t swim and doesn’t wear his wading boots around the house. Probably one of the most serious problems is getting hooked up with a burglar or a murderer for hire whom you can’t trust—then you are surprised, disappointed and chagrined, but if you haven’t any more sense than Nature gives a newly hatched goose, surprises and disappointments will dog your dreams and you might wake up finding that you have been driving a team of nightmares. Wisdom consists in knowing what to do next.

George McLaughlin, who is living in Englewood at the present time, was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital last week, and for several days was on the critical list. He was suffering from a heart condition and asthma. He is convalescing slowly and will be in the hospital for several more days. Get better fast “Curley” as we have a pinochle game in readiness for you!

Robert E. Nye, of Black Hawk and Al Goodwin, of this city, have purchased the Central Bar and Café on Main Street from Wm. Guthrie, and opened for business last Saturday. The name has been changed to “The Middle Of It,” and it is their intention to serve sandwiches in collaboration with the various thirst quenchers. We wish them the best of luck.

Died: Mrs. Juanita Phillips, 64, former resident of Central City, died last Thursday evening at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Melvin Jacobs in Fort Collins. Mrs. Phillips and family lived in Rollinsville for a number of years, before moving to Central. She was the custodian of the Court House for several years. She moved to Fort Collins about three years ago. She is survived by a daughter, three sons, a number of grandchildren and several great-grandchildren. Funeral services were held Tuesday in Fort Collins.

90 years ago – February 7, 1930

Mr. and Mrs. W.O. Ziege left for Denver on Wednesday morning, on business matters.

Mr. and Mrs. Charles L. Gage left on Friday of last week for California, to be gone until next June, in the hope that the change in climate may prove beneficial to the health of Mr. Gage.

Dick Magor and wife drove up from Denver, via the Guy Hill route, on Wednesday, on a visit at the old home and with friends. They found the road in good condition and much shorter than by way of Idaho Springs.

Rae Laird had his auto stolen in Denver last week, and up to present writing it had not been recovered. The machine was parked close to his apartment, between a Buick and a Nash car, worth double what his car was, but the thief selected his for a getaway. There was a package of radio tubes and other equipment in the car, which the thief may undertake to dispose of somewhere. The car was a Chevrolet, with license No. 226-116, issued from Gilpin County.

120 years ago – February 9, 1900

A terrible tragedy took place on Tuesday morning at 7 o’clock, when Mr. Allen shot his wife, his daughter, and himself in their rooms over Clark Roger’s Hardware store, in the Buffington block, Black Hawk. The shooting was done with a .41 calibre revolver, and five shots were fired, two of which took effect in his wife’s body, two in the young girl’s body, and the remaining one he fired at his own heart. From the first accounts of the shooting it appears that Allen had gone into the bedroom of his daughter and, while she was lying in bed, fired two shots at her, the first striking her close to the heart, and the second one entering the right leg, moving upward and going into the lower part of the body. Mortally wounded as she was, the poor child evidently jumped out of bed, and ran instantly into the next room, falling at her mother’s feet while endeavoring to clutch her dress. Mrs. Allen at the time was attending to her duties in the room, and seeing Allen with the revolver, tried to escape, when he fired two shots at her, each of which took effect in her back near the spine. As she fell to the floor, the murderer emptied the last chamber of the revolver into his own breast, and fell between his wife and daughter on the floor. The girl died before doctors arrived and Mrs. Allen was in a serious condition, but was taken care of by neighbors. Mr. Allen was taken to Denver by Sheriff Thomas Cody, on the afternoon train, to avoid the possibility of being lynched by the citizens of Black Hawk, and placed in a hospital. From all the stories in circulation, it would appear that family or domestic troubles were at the bottom of the terrible deed. The funeral of the murdered girl was held Friday afternoon, interment in the Knights of Pythias Cemetery, near this city. The girl was 17 years of age last Monday, a beautiful girl beloved by everyone who had known her, and the grief of the pupils in the Black Hawk School, which she attended, was so poignant that the school was closed for half a day. A coroner’s jury was summoned, which met in the City Hall in Black Hawk, Thursday afternoon, and after hearing the evidence the jury brought in a verdict that “Zula M. Allen came to death as the result of two gunshot wounds, fired from a revolver in the hand of Edgar Martin Allen, on the 7th of February, 1900, and that said shooting was unlawful and done with premeditation, and thereby the accused Edgar Martin Allen did unlawfully and with premeditated malice, shoot and murder said Zula M. Allen.”

Mr. H.E. Brubaker, of Boulder, is visiting Mr. and Mrs. Nordquist and other friends in this city.

The old Whitcomb stamp mill, in Nevadaville, was destroyed by fire early Friday morning, with a loss estimated at $5,000. The fire is supposed to have started from a bonfire used by boys who were skating on the pond at the mill.

Mr. W.H. Nicholls, operating the Robert Emmett Mine, in Chase Gulch, is shipping enough ore to keep 15 stamps dropping at the Eagle Mill.

Born: In Black Hawk, February 1st, 1900, to the wife of George Vogel, a daughter.

Born: In Central City, February 1st, 1900, to the wife of N. Nordquist, a son.

Married: In Central City, February 4th, 1900, Rev. A. MacKay officiating, Mr. Fred Dillon and Miss Tillie Keast, both of this city.

Died: In Russell Gulch, February 3rd, 1900, Mrs. Guida Eccker, aged 28 years.

Died: At Ely’s Ranch, east of Black Hawk, February 2nd, 1900, Oscar, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Gullickson, aged 1 year and 7 months.

151 years ago – February 11, 1870

Mr. Jason E. Scobey returned Tuesday from a trip to the East, and reports that wages were 75 cents per day for laborers in Pennsylvania.

The Rocky Mountain Turnverein gave a grand masquerade ball at Turner Hall on Monday evening, and among the characters especially noticeable, mention was made of Miss Lena Grimes, as the devil’s imp, Miss Teats, as a peasant girl, Miss Bell Grimes, in a Scotch character, Mrs. Leet, as a gypsy, Adam Good, as Prince Paul, Mr. Fonda, Dan Castello, with Mr. Shields as his clown, Miss Addie Young and Mr. Hattenbach, as Celestials, Marshal McCray, as a midshipman, Mr. Arkush, as a Ute Chief, Mr. Briggs, as a knight, and Mrs. Hayes of Black Hawk as a peasant girl.

The legislature passed the Woman’s Suffrage bill, the vote being 7 to 6, five Republicans and two Democrats voting in the affirmative.

Married: In Central City, February 8th, 1870, by Squire William R. Kennedy, Mr. William Wood and Miss Anna Loring.

Married: At St. Paul’s Church, this city, February 9th, 1870, by Rev. Francis Byrne, Mr. Frederick Kruse and Miss Lottie Parmelee, both of this city. The Daily Register, in speaking of the wedding, said: “The ceremony was witnessed by a large number of friends, whose smiling faces told plainly how much interest clusters round a pair that are to be ‘no more twain.’ Mr. Kruse is one of our most respected young men, and Miss Parmelee one of our fairest and most estimable ladies.”

Died: At Uster, PA, January 25th, 1870, Elizabeth S. Van Dyke, formerly of Central City. The lady was a sister in law of Dr. Ellis, and as Miss Libby Willey, was well known here in ’60 and ’61.

3 recommended
bookmark icon