Turning Back the Pages

30 years ago – March 10, 1989

A ruling to suppress evidence in criminal charges filed against Thomas A. Sundermeyer of Central City was overturned on February 27 by the Colorado Supreme Court. Justice Erickson delivered the opinion of the court that the omission of the name of Dawn Robinson, informant in the case which led to a search of Sundermeyer’s property, was not “substantially misleading to the judge who issued the warrant.” Judge Winston W. Wolvington of Gilpin County District Court granted suppression of the evidence obtained on June 24, 1988, saying the search warrant was improperly obtained. Wolvington, who is now retired, based his decision last year on the fact that the search warrant was issued upon a statement that Central City Police Officers Elmo Gatlin and John Strong observed alleged marijuana plants growing inside Sundermeyer’s residence. The affidavit to obtain the search warrant was issued on October 1, 1987 based on statements made by the officers. The affidavit omitted that on September 29, 1987, Dawn Robinson, a Central City reserve police officer, reportedly told Officer Strong that she had been at a party at Sundermeyer’s house and had observed marijuana plants growing in the greenhouse area. Robinson reportedly requested that her name not be used because she knew Sundermeyer. Following Wolvington’s decision to grant suppression of the evidence, he stated that the Jefferson County judge who issued the search warrant may have wanted more information if he had known an informant was involved. However, the Supreme Court ruled that “the omission did not make the affidavit misleading.” The case against Sundermeyer for alleged cultivation of marijuana has not been brought before the court. In a separate case, the Jefferson County District Attorney’s Office, requested by former Central City police chief Mike Brewer, filed a civil suit against Sundermeyer. The suit could result in the forfeiture of Sundermeyer’s home, valued at $80,000, as well as disposition of all personal property. The proceeds, if the civil suit is successful, would be divided with the law enforcement agencies of Gilpin and Jefferson counties.

A second place win at the regional Academic Decathlon competition February 24 qualifies the Gilpin RE-1 team to participate in the meet. It will be held March 13 and 14 in Gunnison. Although Vail’s Battle Mountain High School beat the Eagles for first place, four Gilpinites were among the top 10 scorers. Jennifer Blake, Jeff Lorenz, Chris Harris, and Andy Rohrer were all among the high scorers. Bringing home gold medals were Lorenz, who earned top honors in social studies and science; Blake in economics; Harris in science; Rohrer in fine arts; and Trent Cate in social studies.

The Social Register:

A Navy Petty Officer Third Class Deborah A. Hall, daughter of Francis J. and Nancy A. Hall of Robinson Hill Road, has re-enlisted for four years while serving with Commander, Fleet Activities, Chinhae, Korea. She joined the Navy in June 1985.

Born Mark Finan, Gilpin County School guidance counselor, now has his very own child to counsel. Mark and his wife Lisa are the proud parents of a daughter, Caitlin, their first child. Born Saturday, march 4, 1989, Caitlin weighed in at eight pounds, six ounces. She measured 20 and a half inches. Caitlin made her arrival at 10:25 a.m. at Rose Medical Center in Denver. Paternal grandmother, Venice Finan lives in Port Austin, Michigan. On her mother’s side, Caitlin can claim Mr. and Mrs. Ian Charlton of Jacksonville, Florida, and Mr. and Mrs. William Camstra of Queretaro, Mexico, as grandparents. Looking just the tiniest bit stunned by the birth of his daughter, Caitlin’s dad was displaying the tiny photo at school all week.

Died: Eva Elvia Hood succumbed to death at Boulder Manor Nursing Home on February 27, 1989. She was 80 years old. The only child of Pillar Wallace Dickinson and Leone (Posey) Dickinson, Eva was born on September 24, 1908 in Elmwood, Nebraska. At this time, her father ran a relinquished homestead in Bushnell, Nebraska. Eva’s family left Nebraska and moved to Saratoga, Wyoming when she was about eight years old. Over a period of several years the family continued moving in order for her father to find work as a ranch foreman. Eventually, the family resided in Colorado. While in the 10th grade, Eva married Edward Hood in Montrose, Colorado, in November 1924. Eva was 16 years old. For the first few years of married life, Eva took care of her family, which included three children. During World War II she worked at an ordnance plant making ammunition while her husband served in the Navy Seabees. Following World War II, Eva was a clerk at a music store in Lakewood. She later was the manager for Capital Laundry. After 1963, Eva did not work away from home. Until the 1940s, the Hoods resided in Lakewood. They came to Gilpin County because they wanted to have a place in the mountains, after building a cabin on the Dolphin claim. The family-built cabin took seven years to complete. Edward Hood preceded Eva in death in 1971. At the time of his death they had been married for 47 years. In 1976, Eva moved to the cabin located just south of Rollinsville, on a permanent basis. By choice, Eva selected living at the cabin, which she loved, over the residence in Lakewood. Until at least 1985, at the age of 77, Eva cut her own wood and carried water from a well in the meadow below the cabin. During the 1980s, due to the severity of the winters making transportation impossible from the cabin, Eva often lived in Rollinsville. One of Eva’s favorite pastimes was writing. She had been writing memoirs about her childhood, her parents, and her life despite health setbacks. Several of her articles were published in Senior Additions, a monthly publication out of Denver for seniors. Eva previously served as chairman of Council on Aging in Gilpin County and was active with the Gilpin Seniors. A person who had zest for life, Eva also loved the 22 varieties of wildflowers, the meadow, and the acres of aspen that surrounded her cabin. In addition to the solitude of living at her cabin, she enjoyed reading, knitting, crossword puzzles, and most of all, cutting wood. Survivors include her children, Betty L. Priest of North Fork, California, Harold E. Hood of Phillipsburg, Montana, and Lois C. Cawlfield of Rollinsville; eight grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. Graveside services were held March 3, 1989 at Fort Logan National Cemetery in Denver. Eva will always be remembered by her many friends for her friendly, warm, peaceful, and genuine character, as well as for her sincere interest in people.

60 years ago – March 20, 1959

Central City Nuggets:

The High School English classes, under the direction of Mr. Sweninger, will present two one act plays, “Silas Marner” and “The Third Ingredient” and readings by students between the two plays, on Wednesday evening, March 25th, at 7:45 p.m. Admission is .50 cents for adults and .25 cents for students and children. The public is invited to attend.

Ralph Calabrese, principal of the High School, sustained severe injuries from an accident while tobogganing on Sunday. We hope he will have a speedy recovery.

Mrs. Louis Carter was a passenger to Denver on Tuesday morning.

Black Hawk Gold Dust:

Mrs. Reba Stroehle of Memphis, Texas, was here last week checking on her property. It is reported that a new business building will be erected on the lots just below the A. & G. Station.

Friday afternoon guests for bridge at the Robins’ home were Mesdames Flora Turner, Alice McKenzie and Edith Carter.

Mr. and Mrs. Orville Gardner are spending some time in Grand Junction with his relatives.

The Phillips 66 Service Station has re-opened with Joe Anderle as manager, and business seems to be flourishing.

Mr. and Mrs. Gus Rudolph and Mrs. Fred Mitchell were in Morrison last Friday where they visited Mrs. Helen Robins in the Nursing Home.

Mr. and Mrs. Tony Shearer and children were Sunday dinner guests of the Paul Allander’s. The special occasion was in honor of Judy Allander’s 14th birthday.

Mr. and Mrs. Gene Anderle and family, and Mr. and Mrs. George Ander and daughter Shirley spent Sunday in Boulder as guests of the E.L. Ward’s.

Mr. and Mrs. Vinctin Loerich and daughter were up from Denver Saturday to look over their cottage on Main Street.

90 years ago – March 15, 1929

George N. Sparling, who had been operating the Gold Cup properties in Chase Gulch under a lease, and who gave checks for labor and supplies when he did not have the money in the bank to take care of them, had his trial before Judge Louis J. Carter of the County Court on Tuesday last, and at the conclusion of which he was sentenced to the county jail for 30 days, and assessed a fine of $200. The people were represented by Benjamin F. Nephews, deputy district attorney, and Mr. Sparlin by attorney F.L. Collom, of Idaho Springs, who served notice of an appeal to the district court from the judgement given by Judge Carter.

Jack Nankervis, wife and daughter, Frank Sparks and wife, and Art Lugg of Idaho Springs, Harry Lugg, of Golden, and Will Lugg, of Longmont, arrived here Tuesday morning, to attend the funeral of Mrs. Jane Williams, held that afternoon.

We had a pleasant call from Will Lugg, of Longmont, Colorado, Tuesday afternoon, who was in attendance at the funeral of Mrs. Williams. Mr. Lugg resided with his parents in Nevadaville, and when a lad, was one of the carriers of the Daily Register Call, on the Nevadaville route, back in the early ‘80s.

Mrs. W.O. Jenkins is confined to her rooms, suffering from a bad cold and attack of the “flu.”

Died: The first snow slide to occur in this section of state in years, swept down the mountainside on the old line of the Moffat Road, to Corona Pass, leading over the hill, the first of last week, catching Frank Raymond, of East Portal, and crushing out his life. Mr. Raymond had been spending the winter months in trapping wild animals on the mountains above East Portal, and left his home early Monday morning of last week, informing his wife that he would return home that evening. Evening came and he did not show up, and Tuesday, Mrs. Raymond became alarmed at his absence and called on several of her neighbors and informed them of her fears that something must have happened to him. Several parties started out on the trail he generally took over the mountains, on Wednesday, and came to the point where the snow slide had swept down the mountainside, and they came at once to the conclusion that he had been caught by it and was buried under the snow and rock in the slide. They returned to East Portal and gave the alarm, and on Thursday morning a party of rescuers left with shovels and picks to search the slide for his body. After a short search they found the body of Mr. Raymond lodged against a tree, and brought it down to the railroad. Coroner George Hamllik of this city had been informed of the accident, and of finding the body, and he ordered it sent to Rollinsville by train, and he would go over and get it. The coroner, with Mr. C.O. Richards and his truck left Friday afternoon for Rollinsville, and returned that evening with the body, and an examination by the coroner showed that Mr. Raymond’s head was badly crushed, which must have caused instant death, and the body frozen stiff. Friday evening the body was shipped to Denver and then sent to La Porte, Indiana, for burial. He is survived by his wife, and son Francis.

120 years ago – March 17, 1899

Considerable excitement was caused in Gilpin County Tuesday morning last when news was received here that John Ratliff, formerly of Nevadaville, had shot his wife at their room house on California Street, Denver, and then turned the revolver on himself, firing a bullet through his breast, of which wound he died on Monday. Mrs. Ratliff died Tuesday morning. Mr. Ratliff was postmaster of Nevadaville for over thirty years, and when the government removed him from office, he and his wife left there and purchased an apartment house which returned them a bare living, and he became despondent and discouraged, and concluded to end all with the revolver. His first wife died 15 years ago, and three years later he married Miss Pursell, who was teaching in the Public Schools in Nevadaville. For years afterward they made their home in that city, before moving to Denver.

A union of the Populists and Democrats in this city resulted in the nomination of John Jenkins for mayor; W.H. Oatley, alderman from the first ward; Dan Fuelscher, from the second; Nelson Franklin, from the third; and Henry Ellmann, from the fourth ward.

Mrs. B.F. Lowell arrived from Colorado Springs last Friday, on a visit with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Spear, of Black Hawk.

The dance given by the Ladies’ Owl Club, of Nevadaville, on Tuesday night, was well attended and a success in every particular. The best waltzers were Miss Kate Kramer and Richard Warren; the cake walk, Mrs. Fred Bollinger and James Williams; for grotesque costume, Charles E. Jenkins, of Black Hawk.

The East Nottaway Mine in Lake District, operated by William Mitchell, continues to produce high grade smelting ore, and a shipment made to the sampling works in Black Hawk last week returned 298.10 ounces gold, and 22 ounces silver for the first class ore, having a value of close to $6,000 to the ton; the second class returned 34.18 ounces gold and 8 ounces silver, a value of $650 per ton, and the third class, 7.72 ounces gold, or about $150 per ton. As a producer of high grade ore, the East Nottaway is a hard one to beat, and the lessees will make a good stake from their lease on this property.

Steam was raised on the Topeka Mine on Wednesday, after a shut-down of two weeks, and a force of trimmers are at work getting out the large quantities of ore which was broken in the mine, but which could not be hoisted and shipped on account of weather conditions. The regular force will soon be employed again, and the mine will continue to make regular shipments in the future.

Born: In Black Hawk, March 10th, 1899, to the wife of Charles Niccum, a daughter.

Born: In Central City, March 12th, 1899, to the wife of Harry Lartigue, a son.

Born: In Black Hawk, March 13th, 1899, to the wife of Otto Scheffler, a daughter.

Born: In Central City, March 14h, 1899, to the wife of William Polkigtorn, a son.

Born: In Nevadaville, March 13th, 1899, to the wife of F. Hart, a daughter.

Married: At the residence of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Becker, in Chase Gulch, March 15th, 1899, Rev. V.O. Penley officiating, Walter McLeod and Miss Laura Becker.

151 years ago – March 19, 1869

A site for a new smelting works was purchased in Black Hawk on Saturday last by Boston parties.

The merchants of Central City and Black Hawk pledged themselves not to allow any corporation whose stock was not owned in the Territory to run more than 30 days, and that no goods would be delivered on credit after that time had expired unless the former account was settled for. Among the signers to the paper were Roworth & Co., Tappan & Co., Hendrix & Bro., W. W. Tiffany, Sessler & Sauer, A.Jacobs & Co., Mason M. Seavey, Clements & Son, Charles W. Havens, Woodbury & Co., F.W. Peterson, Joseph Reynolds, L.M.Freas, Schram & Co., G.I. Giddings, John H. Hense, S. Hexter, E.E. Hartwell, Graybill & Brennerman, Charles Leitzman, Langford & Co., and S.S. Schlessinger & Co.

Mr. Charles Kimball, the regular carrier for the Register, failed to report Sunday morning to carry his route, and Halsey M. Rhodes, the mailing clerk, was pressed into service for the time being.

The R.M. Circle No. 1 Fenland Brotherhood gave an anniversary celebration at Turner Hall on Wednesday evening, where over 200 tickets, at $3.00 each were sold. Those on the committees having the matter in charge were P. Layden, T. O’Connell, William Short, P. McLaughlin, J.W. Ganley, D.D. Shea, John Cafferty, Hugh T. Fox, Thomas J. Campbell, W.R. Kennedy, James Noonan, and R.S. Wilson.

Steve Duggan was practicing with a velocipede on Eureka and Main Streets, and bets were made as to how long he could stay on the infernal machine.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button