Turning Back the Pages

30 years ago – January 27, 1989

Intent looks of concentration graced the faces of the participants in the first Chess Tournament at Gilpin County School. The month long event, coached by former International Chess Federation member Lon Huckaby, has attracted 20 students, 10 in the 6th grade division, and 10 in the 7th grade division.Since January 17, the students began playing one round of tournament chess each week. They are following the rules of the International Chess Federation, including recording all moves in their competition games. This allows Huckaby to review the games later, which will help him determine just how much talent and potential talent he has to work with. If Huckaby feels it is justified, he may establish a local team to participate in the Colorado State Chess Team Championships, which include both elementary and junior high divisions. Competitors are awarded one point for a win, one half-point for a draw, and nothing for a loss. At the end of the tournament, those with the highest overall scores will be pronounced winners, with small trophies going to the high scorers. First round winners were announced late Tuesday afternoon. In the sixth grade division, Jesse Peterson, Mike Klemp, Mike Rivers, Chris Ensign, and Brian Livsey each earned a point toward the championship. Seven and eight grade division victors the first week included Jarrod Henningson, Dan Bartell, and Bran Salerno. Although there was one more game played in this division, the game had not yet been turned in to Coach Huckaby, so the winner’s name is not known.

Recycling measures are being considered in Gilpin County, although the specific of a recycling program have not been established. One possibility, according to Larry Romine, owner of Clear Creek Disposal and operator of the county’s three compactor sites, may be to place recycling collector stations at the compactor sites. He plans to look into this possibility in the next few months.

Since there is now heat in the Gilpin County Historical Society Museum, and working there during the cold winter months is finally feasible, many changes are taking place. Tools that have been scattered thither and yon throughout the museum and the outer court are being moved to the second floor west and sorted into use categories. In doing so, some interesting finds have been made. There are mining tools of course, but there are also foundry tools and chests, ice cutting markers and wedges, and cleated shoes, along with ranching equipment from the surrounding country, carpenter and woodworking accessories, and even a Chinese laundry iron. There are items from an assay office and others formerly used in railroading. There is a fire fighting hose and a hose cart, and some uniforms. The guns were supposedly used to provide fresh meat for food for the populace, and law enforcement equipment to insure the use of the guns was legitimate. It has been an adventure sorting out, cataloguing all that has been found. Now that those tools have been moved to a central location comes the task of putting it all into an interesting display. We need business advertisements, pictures of early day businesses and the proprietors, and ideas. If anyone has items to add to this display, please contact our acquisitions chairman. Later displays that need building or rebuilding include a post office, a change in the general store, a diorama display, and a boardwalk for the Vera Neal Room. There is much to do before May 28.  – Bonnie Merchant, Gilpin County Historical Society President.

If all goes according to the Bureau of Reclamation’s plan, cleanup work at five tailings piles in Gilpin and Clear Creek counties will begin late this summer. The project is part of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Superfund “cleanup” of mine wastes and acid drainage in the two county area. These tailings piles constitute a very small, but highly visible, percentage of all mine wastes and tailings located near streams in the area, according to the EPA, and Camp Dresser McKee (CDM), the engineering firm that initially evaluated the problem in the area to the tune of over $1 million. Hired by the EPA to complete studies and construct ditches that are intended to carry water around, rather than over the tailings sites, the Bureau of Reclamation has completed the preliminary design work and turned it over to the EPA for review and final approval. The Gregory Incline and National Portal in Black Hawk, and the Argo Mill in Idaho Springs, are the first group of sites that will get the ditches. Evaluation will begin this spring on the Quartz Hill site in Central City, and the Big Five in Idaho Springs. Those two sites will probably not see any active construction activity before next spring.

60 years ago – February 6, 1959

Central City Nuggets:

Across the Crossroads, by A.F. Mayham: The Rush to the Rockies spirit is catching on all over the country. Bow neckties with an inscription or two seem to be on the job. They appear in colors to suit one’s taste and clamp on the collar – ladies pin them in place. Uncle Ed didn’t want to be caught napping, so he purchased a red one and a black one. He almost decided that he couldn’t “cut much ice” any more, but he woke up one morning, dusted off his wits, picked up the paper and read the obit’s; his name was missing so he knew he wasn’t dead; he ate a good breakfast and went back to bed. Thought he’d stay there until the ground hog decided what sort of weather was in store, or until Congress decided the confiscation of gold was unconstitutional, not binding and a gross injustice inflicted on a poor and struggling industry, and a gold depleted treasury. Then he thought of Rip Van Winkle and the 20 years of sleep. By that time Ed’s get up and go would be got up and went, and he remembered when he was younger and his slippers were blue; he could still dance the whole night through, but now he is older his slippers are black, he walks to the corner and puffs his way back. In spite of all this he’s able to grin and often thinks where his get up and go has been. Uncle still has one dream that he would like to see realized – that the state legislature and the city council hook up and establish a state and city price for gold around $75 an ounce. It might be cheaper somewhere else, but that commodity produced and sold in the state would be so and so. Washington might decide that his dream was unconstitutional by us folks. Like the married couple, the husband was her handicap. Anyway, Ed is going to hang around just to see what happens to Sen. Murray’s gold bill in congress. If it goes through, the Rush to the Rockies will be full steam ahead, bow ties, seven league boots, and no occupational tax.

The ground hog emerged from its burrow Monday morning and, seeing the sun, scampered back to remain for the next six weeks, which according to an old tradition, means we will have six more weeks of winter. Maybe, this rodent is right, but we will have to wait, at least until next week, to verify his prognostication.

Mrs. Clifford I. Parsons left Saturday for Phoenix, Arizona, to spend her vacation in the land of winter sunshine. During her absence from the post office, Mrs. Jewel Tavonatti will graciously handle your wants for Uncle Sam, while Cliff will be open for any free meals.

The Lions Club of Central City met Monday evening at the Grubstake Inn. Mrs. Mabel Moody pulled no stops in preparing and serving a very fine dinner. Presiding over the meeting was Dick Skates, the very capable secretary of the sponsoring Nederland Lions Club; also present from the Nederland Lions Club were William (Big Bill) Floyd, past president Harold Platte, past president Nick the barber, Dick Murdock, and Frank Lanotte of the Lanotte Grocery, at Rollinsville. Floyd Campbell of Central City was also a guest. Discussed were foremost projects of community interest, and tabled for consideration as Lions’ Club Projects. The next meeting will be February 9, at the Toll Gate.

Mr. and Mrs. George Springer returned Tuesday from a month’s visit spent in New York. They report a most pleasant, cold vacation, but are glad to be back in this land of sunshine – or is it? Anyway, they had a good time.

Black Hawk Gold Dust:

Among those attending the Foley-Mitteff boxing match in Denver last Thursday night were Therman Leach, Tom Collins and son James.

Mr. Milo Fisher suffered a heart attack while at work Monday and was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital.

Mrs. LaVerna Mitchell and Mrs. Gwen Thomas were in Golden Friday, where they visited their mother, Mrs. Hilda Belcher.

Mrs. Paul Beer has been a guest of Mrs. Pearl O’Conner and has also been packing house hold goods to be moved to Dodge City, Kansas. Mrs. Beamer says her husband is much improved in health.

Mrs. Clara Tomford is now employed at Crook’s Palace, formerly Jennie’s Inn.

Leaving Friday in their trailer house, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Crowe will spend about three weeks in New Mexico.

90 years ago – February 1, 1929

Neil McKay left for Denver Sunday for a few days outing, and a visit with his son, Reuben and wife.

Attorney James M. Seright was a passenger to Denver, Tuesday, on legal matters.

Mr. and Mrs. Walter McLeod left for Denver Tuesday summoned by the death of Miss Caroline McLeod, a sister of Mr. McLeod.

Mr. B.E. Seymour came up from Denver on business matters, and to assist at the First National Bank during the absence of Mr. McLeod.

“Nick” Johns, who had been recuperating here for the past couple of weeks, returned to Denver Tuesday morning to continue taking treatments for his infirming.

Miss Emzella Channing, a nurse in training at the State General Hospital, in Denver, underwent an operation for removal of her tonsils, the first of the week.

The department of this city was called out Tuesday morning about 11 o’clock, due to the burning of a shed in the yard of Russell Bass, on High Street, back of the High School building, which was totally destroyed. That night, at the midnight hour, another alarm was sounded, which called the department to the residence of Mrs. O.J. Duffield, on Upper High Street, where a shed was burning, but the fire was put under control by neighbors before much damage was done. Hot ashes, dumped promiscuously, was the cause for both fires, and greater care must be maintained by our citizens, or something serious will happen. Fortunately there was little wind blowing at the time, or the result would have been different. George Fuhrman, the night watchman at the “Chain O’Mines” mill, saw the flames at the Duffield residence, and telephoned W.O. Ziege, who, with his brother Walter, and neighbors, soon had the fire under control.

Married: At Littleton, January 13th, 1929, Rev. Godfrey Smith officiating, William P. Hart and Mrs. Charlotte C. Katta. The above announcement will prove a surprise to the many friends of the bride in Gilpin County, but who take this opportunity to extend congratulations and good wishes for a long and happy future.

Died: Miss Caroline McLeod, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Alexander McLeod, formerly of this city, but for years residents of Canyon City, died at the latter city on January 27th, and funeral services were held from the residence of her sister, Mrs. John C. Jenkins, in Denver, Wednesday afternoon. When the family resided i this city, deceased was one of the teachers in the public schools here and in Nevadaville. She is survived by her sister, Mrs. John C. Jenkins, of Denver, two brothers, Norman, of Denver, and Walter McLeod, of this city.

Died: In Denver, at the Hall Hotel, January 27th, 1929, Mrs. Emma Marlow, formerly of this city, aged 73 years. Deceased was the widow of the late Den Marlow, who from 1878 to 1895 was our partner in publishing the Register Call, in this city. She had been an invalid for nearly twenty years, and her death was due to paralysis. Her mother, Mrs. Paulina Putnam, sister May, and an older sister, came to Colorado from Wisconsin in a wagon draw by an ox team in 1865, and stopped near Greeley, where they intended to locate, but an uprising of the Indians at that time caused them to leave the plains hurriedly for better protection in the mountains, arriving in this city that year. The family resided in the frame residence on Eureka Street, opposite the Methodist Church, for years. Mrs. Marlow was organist and leader of the choir of the church under the ministry of Rev. B.T. Vincent, the pioneer preacher of the “Gregory Diggings,” and following ministers up to twenty years ago, when she went to Denver to make her home with her son, merle Marlow. She was an accomplished musician, of a most lovely and cheerful disposition, and never once refused to lend her efforts and sweet voice at the funerals of departed ones, or take part in entertainments where music was one of the chief attractions. Her memory will ever be cherished by former residents of Gilpin County, no matter where no located, and her many kind acts and deeds will ever bring a “God Bless Her” from them in return. Mr. Marrow died in 1895, and Mrs. Marrow’s mother several years later, and surviving her are her son Merle, the advertising manager for the McMurtry Manufacturing Company of Denver, and a sister, Mrs. May P. McMorran of Ellensburg, Washington. Funeral services were held at the Rogers Chapel, in Denver, yesterday morning at 10 o’clock, with interment in Fairmount Cemetery beside her husband and mother.

120 years ago – February 3, 1899

Peter Maroney, of Black Hawk, returned Saturday from Cripple Creek, where he had been on a visit with his nephew, Larry Maroney, the successful contractor and mine operator of that city.

William Sennett, of Nevadaville, who left here some time ago for the western cost, has located at Tuolumne, California, where he is filling the position as engineer at a mine. His son Thomas, who went with him, has also secured a good position.

Mrs. W.O. Jenkins entertained a number of her lady friends at a tea at her residence on West High Street, Thursday afternoon.

A report was circulated here on Wednesday, that Dick Rodda, former manager of the telephone exchange in this city, but now manager of the telephone office at Aspen, Colorado, had a narrow escape from a snow slide that day, while out repairing the wires near that city.

Sheriff William Mitchell has purchased the interests of Louis Roy in the lease on the east half of the East Nottaway Mine, in Russell and Lake mining districts. This makes Mr. Mitchell the sole owner in the lease on that part of the Nottaway Mine, the west half being owned by Cindy and Bell. A one ton shipment from the Mitchell lease was sent to the State Ore Sampling works in Black Hawk during the week, which gave returns of 37.40 ounces gold, 13 ounces silver, and 7.20 percent copper, a commercial values of $718.63 per ton. Cindy and Bell are also taking out some rich ore form their lease, and indications are that the entire property will make a good showing for the coming year.

Born: In Denver, February 1st, 1899, to the wife of Ed. L. Harris, a daughter.

Born: In Central City, February 2nd, 1899, to the wife of John Nylander, a daughter.

Died: In Russell Gulch, January 27th, 1899, Nellie Blodwen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.O. Williams, aged 3 years.

Died: In Central City, February 2nd, 1899, Mona L., daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Krouse, aged 5 years.

Died: A snow slide on Nevada Hill, at the far end of Apex, and south of the Booster Mill and property, took place on Sunday morning, engulfing and burying under tons of snow the cabin of William Rudolph, with his wife and three children. Mr. Rudolph was on the mountainside when the slide started and covered his cabin, and he soon spread the alarm, which brought every available man in camp. After working for hours, Mrs. Rudolph and the two younger children were found smothered to death, and when the eldest boy was reached he showed a spark of life, and he was rushed over to the cabin of Gray and DeCelle, where Mrs. A.P. Richards and assistants worked over him and soon had him in a normal condition. The family had risen at their usual hour Sunday morning, and were feeling unusually gay as Mr. Rudolph had secured employment at the Elk Park Mill. Breakfast over, Mr. Rudolph got ready to go up town to get some supplies and papers, the storm at that time being at its very worst, and had not gone more than a couple of hundred feet from the cabin when he heard the noise of the slide coming down the mountain and crushing the building as if made of paper, and covering his family under tons of snow and rock. James, the eldest boy, was 6 years of age; George, the youngest boy, 4 years old, and Stella, 18 months. The funeral took place in Black Hawk, at the Methodist Church, on Wednesday afternoon. The mother and her two children were all placed in the same casket, and the sight of the little ones lying in the arms of their mother in the casket was very touching.

151 years ago – February 3, 1869

Wells, Fargo & Company, reduced the fare to Cheyenne to $5, and were prepared to put on double daily service of coaches from Central City, if business would warrant.

The New York Company and the Smith & Parolee companies were consolidated and Mr. B.T. Wells succeeded Mr. D.D. Belden as manager of the properties.

The Boston Bakery at Black Hawk, with A.G. Rhoads as manager, was turning out the best rye bread, the genuine Yankee article, and the best graham bread in the territory.

Born: In Central City, January 28th, 1869, to the wife of George Patten, twin girls.

Married: In this city, February 3rd, 1869, Rev. A. B. Jennings officiating, Daniel Sayer, of Denver, and Anna A. Young, of Central.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button