Turning Back the Pages

30 years ago – August 26, 1988

“Ten Tons of Jazz” was successfully mined August 18, 19, 20 and 21, in the historic City of Central. The sounds of “Ten Tons of Jazz” filled the air as hundreds of people milled in and out of shops, ate at the various restaurants, and enjoyed the sites, in addition to visiting the seven locations set up for the jazzy entertainment. What does “Ten Tons of Jazz” represent? Quite simply, it is the combined weight of 130 of the world’s best traditional jazz musicians. “By far, this is the classiest event we do each year,” said Bob Brusco, owner of the Gilded Garter and acting manager of the Teller House. “I got great reviews,” he emphasized, from a number of the jazz goers. When ticket sales closed on Saturday Central City Mayor Bruce Schmalz replied, “We only had four badges for the event that day left, which is the closest we have come to selling out in previous years.” According to Jeanne McGranahan of Denver, “It was a great weekend to come to Central City.” Accompanied by a friend, they were two of the elated badge wearers on Saturday.

A magnificent square grand piano, with mother of pearl keys and exquisite inlay work, became a permanent part of the Lace House furnishings recently, thanks to a donation by relatives of John Quincy Adams Rollins, the founder of Rollinsville, Colorado. When Donald Loach of Charlottesville, Virginia, toured Black Hawk’s pride and joy, the Lace House, early in July, he told tour guide Dolores Spellman about the piano. It had originally belonged to his grandfather, Fred T. Gooch, who ran the Rollinsville Hotel for a number of years and was postmaster there for 17 years. Pooch was the husband of Olive Rollins, John Rollins’ daughter. Loach wanted to see the piano placed permanently in Gilpin County he told Spellman, who suggested the Lace House as an appropriate site for the lovely instrument. Local historian Sid Squibb made the arrangements with Loach, his sister in law, Virginia Loach, and her mother in law, Ethel Leona Loach. The piano was moved from a basement in Denver, where it was being stored, right into the parlor of the Lace House. The cabinet of the square grand piano is typical of the era, according to George Taylor, who appraises such instruments at the Evergreen Music Center. It has a rosewood veneer and heavy carved legs and lyre. Taylor reported the finish is in excellent condition, considering its age. Built by the Hardman Company, it is believed to be over 138 years of age. Hardman began recording the serial numbers of its pianos in 1850, beginning with 2800. Because the Pooch piano is numbered 2520, it is believed to have been built between 1848 and 1850.

The Social Register:

Michelle and Kevin Armbright of Central City are the proud parents of a daughter, Kayla Renee, born Monday, August 22, at Humana Hospital in Thornton. Kayla was born at 6:30 a.m. and weighed in at six pounds, eight ounces. She measured 20 and 1/2 inches at birth. Maternal grandparents are Dee Jones of Black Hawk and Bob Jones of Springfield, Oregon. Paternal grandparents are Phyllis Armbright of Peoria, Illinois, and Paul Armbright, also of Peoria. In addition to a full set of grandparents, Kayla has four great grandparents. Grandma Dee was all a twitter Monday at the Kwik Mart in Black Hawk, where she works. “I was really hoping for a girl,” she beamed, “but the Armbrights just don’t produce girls. They do now though!” she exclaimed. Dee and first time aunt, Marie Jones, decorated the Kiwk Mart with pink balloons in celebration.

60 years ago – August 29, 1958

Central City Nuggets:

We are a little short of local and other interesting news this week, due to the publication of the List of Certified Candidates for the Primary Election, political advertisements and other legal notices. Read them all in lieu of other interesting stories which predominate these columns for fifty two weeks of the year. We have omitted several articles, which will be published in next week’s issue. We thank you for your consideration.

Died: Frank Daugherty died early yesterday (Thursday) morning at Fitzsimmons Hospital in Denver after a long illness. He has been in the hospital for the past four months, suffering from a throat ailment. He was 60 years of age. Frank was born in Kansas, and for many years conducted a drug store at Fowler, Colorado, before moving to Central City in 1933, where he and his wife purchased the L.P. Davies Drug Store. He was a veteran of both World Wars, retiring with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. He was a member of the three Masonic lodges of this city, the American Legion, and Veterans of Foreign Wars, in each organization of which he was a most conscientious member. He is survived by his wife, Gladys, of this city, and two brothers and two sisters. Funeral services had not been completed by the time of going to press.

Mr. and Mrs. Jack Robb and family, of New Orleans, have been here for the past week visiting with his mother, and brother, Max. Jack has an important position with one of the newspapers in Grand Junction, and he and his family will leave the latter part of this week for their new residence. Jack learned the printing trade in this office, and has made a great success in every department of the industry.

Mrs. Peak, daughter, Mrs. Wm. Lange and daughter, Phyllis, of Modesto, Illinois, have been here for the past week visiting at the Parsons Manor. Mrs. Peak is a sister of Mrs. Parsons.

There is no question but that Eve had the best husband in the world—at the time.

Black Hawk Gold Dust:

The Paul Oleanders left this week for a vacation trip to South Dakota and will return in time for the beginning of school.

Dr. Charles Webber with his wife Frances and four sons were up from Denver Sunday. Dr. Webber is an intern at the Rose Memorial Hospital.

Miss Kathryn Eccker will again teach Physical Education in the Littleton High School, and will drive to and from each day.

We are glad to report that Sam Redman is improving after an attack of pleurisy.

Miss Mary Louise Plank enjoyed an evening at Lakeside Park Monday, in celebration of her birthday on Wednesday.

90 years ago – August 31, 1928

Mr. and Mrs. Ed. A Bemis with daughter and son, came up from the valley Tuesday, and made this office a pleasant call. Mr. Bemis is the field secretary of the Colorado Editorial Association, and is taking a short vacation and visiting the printing offices throughout the state and extending greetings to the editors. They came up by way of Boulder and returned to Denver via Idaho Springs.

Attorney L.J. Williams came up from Denver Saturday evening and spend Sunday with his family, returning home during the afternoon.

George Matthews, wife and children, came up from Denver Sunday morning on a short visit with old friends. Mr. Matthews is now located in Denver, and his brother, Thurston, is still in the oil fields of Oklahoma.

The Rocky Mountain Fuel Company, which is mining 65 percent of the tonnage in the northern Colorado coal field, has agreed to pay their men $7.00 instead of $6.77 a day, this making a raise of 23 cents per day. This wage becomes effective September 1, 1928, and expires August 31, 1930. The contract states that in case 51 percent of the coal producers in Boulder and Weld counties reduce the scale below $6.77, which is now the prevailing wage scale, the $7.00 scale can also be reduced. However, it specifies that until operators, including the Rocky Mountain Fuel Company, are operating under union control, the company will pay the difference of 23 cents a day.

How to Make Apricot Mousse, by Nellie Maxwell: Take one can of apricots, juice and fruit, mash through a sieve and add one half cupful of sugar. Mix thoroughly and add one half pint of whipped cream very slowly to the apricot mixture. Add a bit of salt and a few drops of almond extract. Pack in molds or mold and let stand for three and one half hours. Use ice and salt for packing—equal measures of each. If frigid air is used, prepare the day before or at least six hours before serving. This amount serves six nicely.

120 years ago – September 2, 1898

Mrs. Charles F. Barker and son, of Denver, arrived in this city on Tuesday on a visit with relatives and friends. They are the guests of Mr. and Mrs. Hugo Kruse of this city.

Mr. Sol. Bacharach left for Colorado Springs last week, to take in the flower carnival being held there.

The ore shipments from the Black Hawk Station of the Gulf Road for the month of August were the largest in tonnage ever made from the county, being 342 carloads, or 5,742 tons, an increase of over 100 tons over August of last year, which was the banner month of 1897.

At the Sleepy Hollow Mine at Black Hawk, a vein has been uncovered in the hanging wall of the 900 foot level, of that property that assays 12 ounces gold to the ton, and careful work is being inaugurated at that point to take down the crevice clean and free from rock. The mine is small, but makes up in richness.

Born: In Nevadaville, August 25th, 1898, to the wife of J.J. Hawn, a daughter.

Born: In Central City, August 19th, 1898, to the wife of Erick T. Kullerstrand, a son.

Born: In Black Hawk, August 21st, 1898, to the wife of Ole Rasmussen, a daughter.

Born: In Russell Gulch, August 27th, 1898, to the wife of M.W. Scotten, a son.

Born: In Black Hawk, August 28th, 1898, to the wife of Dan Williams, a daughter.

Died: In Central City, August 30h, 1898, Mildred, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. H. Johns, aged 5 months.

Died: In Black Hawk, August 30th, 1898, Matthew, son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Quinn, aged 13 years.

Died: In Nevadaville, August 29th, 1898, Dewey, son of Mr. and Mrs. E. Cessario, aged 5 months.

Died: While attempting to light a fire with kerosene, Miss Enrichettor Marchetti, living in the building occupied by Slaviero & Campani on Main Street, was burned to death by the explosion that followed. She was the sister of Joseph Slaviero of this city, and had been in this country eight months, coming from Italy. She was 21 years of age and was to have been married on the 8th of this month to a young man of this city. The damage to the building was estimated at $500.

Died: Latanzio Zadra, an Italian miner, while going home from the Washington Extension Mine, in Lower Lake District, was instantly killed by lightning on Wednesday evening. Mr. Eugene Drake, who is operating the property, found the unfortunate man lying on the road as he was going home and immediately notified the coroner. The bolt struck him on the head, and then passing through his body. He was 49 years of age, and left a wife and four children, who reside in Lake Gulch.

Died: John Mellow, a former resident of Gilpin County, died at his residence in Denver on Tuesday. He was a member of the private banking house of Hanington & Mellow of this city in the early 80s, and leaves a wife in Denver and a brother, Samuel Mellor, residing in Mississippi.

151 years ago – September 4, 1868

The registered list of voters in the four wards of Denver showed a total of 650 votes.

The Indians were on the warpath in Middle and South Parks, and many ranchmen were killed and their buildings destroyed.

Mr. W.B. Johnson, an employee of this office, received a telegram from Secretary of State, Frank Hall, in Denver, informing him that his nephew Louis, a child of six years, had been captured by the Indians, near DeLano’s saw mill, and the head of the Kyowa Creek, and had been killed by them. The dispatch said the Indians were being pursued.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button