Turning Back the Pages

30 years ago – July 15, 1988

Cable television may be available to many residents of Gilpin County in the future. Presently, cable TV is only offered to residents within the city limits of Black Hawk and Central City. However, if plans proceed accordingly, residents of Wondervu, Coal Creek Canyon, Pinecliffe, Rollinsville, Beaver Creek, Colorado Sierra, Gilpin Gardens, Thorn Lake, Missouri Lakes, and other nearby areas may have cable television in their homes. Michael Kruger, president of Western Cablesystems, Inc., located in Englewood, presented the proposal to Commissioners Alan Baird, Carroll Beck, and Leslie Williams. Although still in the developmental stages, Kruger said the company being formed for the Gilpin County project will be known as High Country Cablesystems, Inc. (HCC). The company is seeking permission to install cable lines along public rights of ways. Union Rural Electric Association has been contacted regarding installation of cable lines on UREA’s utility poles. In addition, HCC will also need county approval to install a tower and receiving site in Gilpin County. Kruger projects the location to be somewhere in the Wondervu area. If successful, the cable system will be able to offer up to 40 channels. Basic service to each home will include 22 channels at a monthly charge of $19.95, plus HBO, Disney, and the Movie Channel will be offered for $9.95 each. The project’s installation charge, said Kruger, for the initial hookup will be between $50 and $75 per household. An “encroachment permit” will be necessary from the county, advised J.J. Petrock, county attorney. In connection with installation of the cable system on county right of way, Petrock said, the cable company will need to work with the county road department. No action by the commissioners was necessary at the July 5 meeting. HCC must comply with county permits and fee requirements.

The Gilpin County Public Library announced changes in the schedule for the operation of its Mobile Library, the big blue “bookmobile,” effective next week. Starting Friday, July 22, the regular Friday morning stop will be moved from its current location across from Heritage West Really in Mountain City to the Stroehle parking lot off Highway 119 and Gregory Street in Black Hawk. Then, for Central City residents, the bookmobile will begin making a Sunday morning stop in the parking lot of the Clark Annex on Lawrence Street from 8 to 11 a.m., starting Sunday, July 24. “We think that the use in the two communities justified making a stop in each,” noted Library Director Roger Baker. “This way, local folks who bank in Black Hawk can stop by the bookmobile when they cash their checks. On Friday, while commuters who might not be able to get to a weekday stop, can pop in on their way to church on Sunday.” The other bookmobile stop remains unchanged: Friday afternoon at KOA on Golden Gate Canyon/Hwy 46, Saturday morning in Rollinsville, and Saturday afternoon in Wondervu. “We hope that with these changes, together with the Book by Mail program for which every resident should have received a sign-up form this past week, we can assure that no Gilpin resident will be unable to take advantage of at least some of the library’s many offerings,” Bake continued. “As we celebrate out 10th anniversary next weekend, we want people to know that the library is going to do everything it can to provide the services people need, want, and expect from their library.”

Lugging tents, sleeping bags, a watermelon, and bags and bags of food aboard the bus, 10 happy campers loaded up for a three day camping trip to Brainerd Lake on Tuesday. The 10 Gilpin kids are participating in the Summer Fun program, sponsored by the community center, and were accompanied by Program Director Hollis Abraham, her assistant Tom Schrader, and bus driver Judy Huck. Every week a group of kids meet at the community center in Central City at 8 a.m., Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, for a variety of activities designed to please all ages, from six to 17. The week of July 19 will feature swimming and tennis in Boulder on Tuesdays. arts and crafts, along with fishing in Black Hawk on Wednesday, and the Big Event, an all-day trip to Elitch Gardens on Thursday.

60 years ago – July 18, 1958

Central City Nuggets

Word was received here Tuesday of the death of John Drenan, who died Monday at Mexico, Kentucky, after a severe heart attack. He was about 64 years of age. Jack was born in Central City, attended the schools here, later attending Jesuit College, now Sacred Heart of Denver. He served in World War I, with “Ye Editor” being in the same Company in the Signal Corps of OTC. For many years he was in the employ of a large mining company in the southern part of the state, but has been a resident of Kentucky for the past five or more years. He is survived by his wife, one son, Tom, of Colorado Springs, and two daughters, living in Kentucky. Interment will be at Princeton, Kentucky.

Both the Methodist and Episcopal churches were filled to capacity last Sunday, on the annual homecoming day. Seats were at a premium at the Methodist Church and hundreds of visitors were unable to obtain entrance to the auditorium. St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, which is much smaller than the Methodist Church, had over 150 in attendance.

Tommy Robb, ten years old, while building a tree house with Gary McDowell, same age, fell about ten feet, landing on his face, breaking the mandibular bone, inflicting scratches and bruises. He was taken to Idaho Springs for treatment, and is recovering from his injuries, with the one exception of a black eye, which he finds most inconvenient in winking at his girlfriends. Tommy says he will do his carpenter work on terra firms in the future.

James Manning, 51, was arrested last Friday evening by State Patrol Officer Thief, and was being taken to Idaho Springs for a test of sobriety, when he opened the rear door of the police cruiser and jumped out. He fell alongside the road, sustaining severe gashes and bruises on his face and body. After being patched up by Dr. Fowler, he was brought back to Central City where he was lodged in the county bastille until his hearing before County Judge Marshal Quiat on Tuesday evening, at which time his trial was set for next week. After posting bond for his appearance, he was released and returned to his home in Denver, a sadder and scratched up, but wiser individual.

Black Hawk Gold Dust

Mr. Paul Beamer, who has been in ill health, is now staying at the home of his son in law in Dodge City, Kansas. His wife Emma Beamer expects to be released soon from the hospital.

Former residents of Black Hawk, the Warren Torts and daughter were up from Lakewood last Sunday.

Mr. Tom Collins spent the past week in Gunnison where his son James is attending Western State College.

The mother of Mrs. Edith Snodgrass is here from La Junta and will remain for two weeks at the Snodgrass home on Richmond Street.

Mr. and Mrs. Morris Steen are the proud parents of a baby girl, born July 9th at the Loveland Hospital. She weighed seven pounds and three ounces, and has been named Stacey Elaine.

Ray Allison, who attends the Hollywood Technical Institute in Lakewood, spent the weekend here with his parents.

Miss Carol Kent returned to her Denver home after a month’s vacation with Mrs. Luella Fritz.

90 years ago – July 20, 1928

County Coroner Dr. W.M. Schultz, and undertaker George Hamllik were summoned to Black Hawk last Sunday afternoon by a telephone message that Mrs. Catherine Boyle, wife of Patrick Boyle, had been found dead at her home there. Arriving at the residence the coroner found the lady lying at the foot of the stairs with a bed sheet wrapped around the neck, which had strangled her and caused her death, and the investigation which followed resulted in the coroner deciding her death was due to an accident, and that a coroner’s inquest was unnecessary. Mr. Boyle stated that he left home about mail time to go to the post office and that when he left home Mrs. Boyle was preparing to get dinner. He had been uptown an hour or more and when he returned home he found Mrs. Boyle lying on the lower step of the staircase leading to the upper part of the house, dead, and from his statement to the coroner, he believed she had gone up stairs for something, and on returning fell down the stairway and had grabbed hold of a sheet which had been hung from the railing at the head of the stairs, which caught her around the neck, and strangled her to death. The fall down the stairs might have stunned her and caused unconsciousness, and with the sheet wrapped around her head, she was unable to help herself, and died that way. Mrs. Boyle was aged 50 years, 6 months and 14 days, and had been a resident of Black Hawk for over 30 years. She is survived by her husband and relatives. Funeral services were held on Thursday morning at 9 o’clock, from the Catholic Church, after which the remains were taken to Mount Olivet for burial.

The railroad depot in this city has been leased to contractors building the mill for the Chain O’ Mines Company, who have been storing the cement used in the building, and the floor being overloaded with the cement, gave way and forced out the south side of the building. The truck and driver, Mr. Blake, were by the side of the building at the time, and the latter jumped away in time not to get caught in the falling brick.

How to Make Lemon Butter, by Nellie Maxwell: Beat two eggs, adding gradually the juice of a large lemon, two tablespoonful’s of sugar, and one of butter. Cook over hot water until thick. Cool and fold into one cupful of whipped cream. This is an especially refreshing salad dressing. With a dish of fruit jelly or gelatin on tap, there are so many good dishes to serve. Add a bit to a salad of vegetables, or mold it with fruit as a fruit salad. Such dishes are especially wholesome for the young and elderly in the family.

Died: In Central City, July 13th, 1928, William C. Fullerton, aged 85 years, 4 months and 7 days. Deceased was a pioneer of Gilpin County, coming here from Minnesota in 1875, and during all his residence in the county, was prominent in business affairs, in politics, and in all matters and interests that were of benefits to the community. His word was as good as his bond, and a man of utmost honor and integrity, he commanded the respect and esteem of all who knew him. Mr. Fullerton was born in Redfield, Maine, on March 6, 1843, and in his boyhood days went on many trips with his father, who was a sea captain. Coming west, he located in Minnesota, where he enlisted in the First Minnesota Regiment, and was in many engagements during the Civil War. In 1875 he came to Colorado, and located in Nevadaville, where he and his wife taught in the public schools in that prosperous mining camp. In 1878 he brought his family to Central City and followed his profession as a lawyer, filling several terms as a city and county attorney, and as county judge, being compelled to relinquish the latter office on account of defective hearing. He was a member of Nevada Lodge No. 4, and Central City Chapter, No.1, order of Masons, and Central City Commanders No. 2, Knights Templar, and a charter member of Golden Queen Chapter, Order of Eastern Star. He was the last surviving member of his regiment and the last member of Ellsworth Post, Grand Army of the Republic, of Gilpin County. Funeral services were held at the Episcopal Church in this city Wednesday morning. Lay reader, Bennett E. Seymour, a former partner and old friend of deceased, officiated, after which the remains were taken to Denver, accompanied by delegations from the different lodges for burial in Fairmount Cemetery, where the Masonic burial service was held at the grave. Surviving deceased is his son Brooks Fullerton, in the government service in Washington, and his widow Fannie L. Fullerton, of Los Angeles, California, and other relatives.

120 years ago – July 22, 1898

A coroner’s inquest was held on Saturday afternoon in the town hall in Nevadaville, on the body of Martin Pierce, who was killed Friday morning of last week in the shaft on the Hidden Treasure Mine, the account of which was given in last week’s issue. The jury came to the verdict that Martin Pierce came to his death by falling from the bucket between the 700 and 900 foot levels of the Hidden Treasure Mine, and we censure the man at the bell line for not giving the proper signal, and the engineer guilty of negligence in not obeying the signals given.

Mrs. B.E. Tolman Miss Edna Messinger and Mr. Will McWhorter drove over to Empire on Tuesday, to meet Mr. Tolman, who had been visiting his parents here.

Dr. T.L. Ashbaugh, after a month’s visit with relatives and friends in Nevada, Missouri, returned to Central Thursday evening He reports having had a most pleasant visit, and feels fine from his vacation.

Mr and Mrs. John C. McShane drove down to Denver last Wednesday, for an outing and to visit some friends.

“Sleepy” Semmens is pitching good ball for the Fort Collins team, who are winning nearly all the games being played.

Fred Gerardi and Aton Andrietti, of Russell Gulch, were injured in the Ingmar Mine on Quartz Hill, Wednesday, by being struck on the head by a rock that fell down the shaft a distance of 75 feet. Their injuries were not serious and were taken care of by Drs. Ashbaugh and Asquith.

T.J. Newlun of Nevadaville was negotiating with S. Marksberry of Denver for a foot race for $1,000 a side to come off in Denver within the next two months.

At the Pittsburgh Mine in Lake District, drifting is being carried on in the 212 and 285 foot levels, opening up fine bodies of smelting ore, which in this mine carries high values. As soon as the bottom levels are far enough so as not to interfere, sinking the shaft to greater depths will commence. Steady shipments of mill and smelting ore are being maintained, and the returns from both classes of mineral are highly satisfactory.

Born: In Black Hawk, July 15th, 1898, to the wife of Louis S. Roy, a son.

Born: In Apex, July 8th, 1898, to the wife of D. Copper, a son.

Born: In Central City, July 22nd, 1898, to the wife of Albert Sinclair, twins, boy and girl.

Married: In Central City, at St. James M.E. Church, July 16th, 1898, Rev. J.F. Coffman officiating, Mr. Thomas Jordan and Miss Jennie Jones, both of Central City.

Died: In Black Hawk, on the Walter Morgan Ranch, July 16th, 1898, George C. Green, aged 52 years.

Died: In Black Hawk, July 19th, 1898, at the residents of her son, Frank, Mrs. Nancy, widow of Robert Teats, aged 77 years.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button