Turning Back the Pages

30 years ago – May 6, 1988

Valerie Spellman is alive today thanks to a new advanced technology being offered at Children’s Hospital in Denver. Born March 29 at St. Anthony’s Hospital, Valerie suffered from congenital pneumonia and was not breathing. She was put on a respirator and transferred to Children’s Hospital where an intricate technique called extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (F.CMO) was used to save her life. A tube was inserted into her jugular vein and Valerie’s blood was transferred from her body into a complicated machine. Oxygen was pumped into it and carbon dioxide removed. The blood was then pumped back into Valerie’s tiny body through a tube inserted into her heart through a vein. The complete cycle of oxygenating the blood takes only as long as it takes to inhale and exhale a breath of air. Valerie was on the F.CMO pump for 66 hours, the quickest recovery of any of the babies to receive F.CMO therapy at Children’s Hospital since the program began in January. The technique takes over the functions of the baby’s heart and lungs, allowing those damaged organs to rest and heal from the illness that afflicted them at birth. A critically ill infant, with no blood pressure and possibly just minutes from death, can be pink and healthy, said Dr. Jeff Hanson, after just four hours on the F.CMO pump. Hansen is a neonatologist and associate director of the Children’s F.CMO team. “The procedure is saving babies who have an 80 to 90 percent chance of dying without it,” said Dr. Gerald Haase, surgery chairman at the hospital. Valerie was the sixth infant to receive F.CMO treatment at Children’s one of only 44 hospitals in the nation to offer the therapy. A seventh baby was given F.CMO during Valerie’s stay. Of those seven, six survived; one died after receiving treatment. “All of the babies would probably have died of respiratory failure without it.” said Haase. Not all babies with respiratory problems qualify for F.CMO treatment. Only full term or nearly full term babies who weigh at least four pounds at birth can even be considered. Valerie is at home now in Central City with her parents, CinDee and Mark Spellman. Because of the high altitude, Valerie is on oxygen and her blood is monitored one or two times a week by the staff at Children’s Hospital. “Until her lungs get stronger and the oxygen level in her blood builds up,” said CinDee, “we have to keep her on the oxygen. She’s doing really well, though, and it looks like we may be able to take her off the oxygen in a week or so.” As for the risks involved in the treatment, it’s worth it say the first time parents. Without F.CMO, five and a half week old Valerie might not be alive today.

Bruce Hartman is the newly appointed Undersheriff for Gilpin County. Sheriff Rosetta Anderle made the official announcement on April 29. Hartman started with the Gilpin County Sheriff’s Department as a reserve officer in 1982. He became a full time officer in 1983. Until his promotion to the position of Undersheriff, Hartman served as the investigator for the department. Prior to his law enforcement career, he was employed as a member of the Gilpin County road and bridge crew for almost five years. Hartman and his wife, Cathy, have lived in the county since 1978. They are the proud parents of two daughters. Regarding his new position, Hartman said Wednesday, “There is more involved in the job than I thought.” Hartman replaces David Martinez, who resigned as undersheriff to accept a position with the Summit County Sheriff’s Department effective April 26.

“May Day” Williams the burro became one of the newest residents of Gilpin County sometime during the night on either April 30th or May 1st, hence his name. His father, “Turkey,” joined the Williams household before Thanksgiving, said Lloyd Williams on Wednesday. May Day’s mother is “Sweetheart,” who arrived around Valentine’s Day. May Day’s parents were rescued and adopted from Death Valley. We were tempted to ask Democrat Leslie Williams, the proud grandmother, and Lloyd, who is also a Democrat, if the burro was going to also join the family party affiliation. However, knowing the Williamses, they would also keep a baby elephant if one was abandoned, even if it was a Republican.

60 years ago – May 9, 1958

Central City Nuggets

Miss Rosalee Campbell spent the weekend here with her parents.

“Phonorama,” a display sponsored by the Mountain States Telephone Company, was in Central City on Tuesday, and demonstrated the many remarkable uses to which the telephone is being put, having exhibits of the old telephones used 50 or more years ago to the present time. The school children of the grammar schools attended in a body, and the adult population was many, and all enjoyed the display of the many interesting exhibits.

Mrs. Nora Scott left last Saturday for Connecticut to visit her daughter. She will be gone about ten days.

Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Russell left last Friday for Salt Lake City, to attend the funeral of Mr. Russell’s aunt. They returned Monday evening.

Died: William S. Garrick died last Thursday in Denver after an illness of several months. He was 84 years of age. Bill had been a resident of Gilpin County for over sixty years, and was a resident of Apex when that town was in its heyday. He was the postmaster of Pine Creek, as the town was then known, and was the owner of several mines in that vicinity, among the number being the “Saco-de-Oro” group, which he still owned up to the time of his death. For the past twenty years or more, he and his wife (Dolly Beaman), have lived in Central City. He served eight years as County Judge and was a most able and competent officer, and was also one of the most popular men in the county, all of whom are grieved over his death. Funeral services were held last Saturday from Howard’s Mortuary in Denver, under the auspices of Tomford Mortuary, of Idaho Springs, with cremation at Fairmont Cemetery. He is survived by his wife, Dolly; a daughter, Mrs. Persis Fuller, of Yuma, Arizona; and a sister, Mrs. Jessie Blood, of Denver. Attending the services from Central City were: Victor Tavonatti, Hugh L. Lawry, Clifford I. Parsons, Mr. and Mrs. Harley Berry, and many others.

Black Hawk Gold Dust

A large crowd attended the Annual Firemen’s Dance at Jennie’s Hall last Saturday night and a good time was had by all.

Mrs. James Wildman of Golden and her fun Mrs. Lola Hauser of Detroit, Michigan, called at the Jack Turner home on Friday. They and Mrs. Turner had lunch at Proctor’s in Idaho Springs.

Stewart Olson is now just plain “Mister.” On Thursday of last week, Master Sergeant Olson received his discharge from the U.S. Army after 30 years of service.

After spending several months in Iowa with relatives, Mr. and Mrs. Thurman Leach have returned to their home in Chase Gulch.

Mr. Edward Mueller underwent surgery last Monday at a Denver hospital for a back injury incurred while at work at the Chain O’ Mines.

90 years ago – May 11th, 1928

We had a pleasant call on Friday last from Mr. Robert F. Milne, of Evanston, Illinois, who came out with Dr. Muchow and party, on an inspection tour of the mines on Quartz Hill, in which the Chain O’ Mines company, Evanston, are interested. Mr. Milne is a printer and conducts a job printing establishment in that city, and this was his first visit to the mountains of Colorado, which he greatly enjoyed.

Attorney Leroy J. Williams and wife came up from Denver, Friday evening, to attend to legal matters before the county court, while the latter visited with friends. They returned home Sunday afternoon.

Father Leo came up from Denver last week and has assumed charge of the pastorate of the Catholic Church in this city.

Mr. T.H. Jenks was up from Denver last week and has put a force of men at work fixing up the shaft on the Coeur d’Alene property on Academy Hill, in this city, for operation.

Died: In Denver, May 3rd, 1928, at the home of his daughter, Ira Olsen, formerly of this city, aged 78 years. Mr. Olsen came to Gilpin County in 1878 and located in Nevadaville, where he conducted a livery and bus business, later moving to Central and formed a partnership with Mr. R.B. Williams, the firm name being Williams & Olsen, which they conducted for years in the building opposite the Teller House. He is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Vallera Doran, of Denver, and a son, Clinton, of Butte, Montana. Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon from the Moore Mortuary, Denver, with interment in the Odd Fellow’s plot in the Fairmont Cemetery.

Died: In Denver, May 9th, 1928, Mrs. Kate Ann Leidinger. Deceased and her family were long and well known residents of Central City, where they were beloved and respected by all who knew them. She is survived by her son, J.W. Leidinger, of this city, and Katheryn E. Leidinger, of Denver, and was the grandmother of Edna F. Leidinger and sister, Mrs. P.J. Timmons.

120 years ago – May 13, 1898

A item from Russell Gulch said the “War Bulletins furnished by the Register Call and displayed in the store of Wagner & Askew, are duly appreciated by the people of the gulch who are kept in close communication of what is going on in the war with Spain.”

Mr. Leopold Sternberger is building a fine residence in Russell Gulch near the Lotus Mine, which is to be occupied by him when completed.

Norman Chatfield, of Nevadaville, who had been on a visit to his family and ranch in Texas, returning home on Sunday last.

Mr. and Mrs. Ben Cox and children of Nevadaville, left on Tuesday last for Phillipsburg, Montana, where Mr. Cox has secured a good position, and where they will take their future home.

At the Bon Ton Mine in Russell District, which is being operated by Rev. J.H. Webber, sinking the main shaft is being carried on with one shift at the present time, and a depth of 270 feet has been reached. In the bottom of the shaft a streak of solid copper ore, from eight to ten inches in width, is showing up in a crevice from three to four feet in width, which looks very encouraging, and a sample taken from across the streak shows values of $60 per ton.

The recent heavy snow storms have interfered considerably with the mines throughout the county, by adding an unusual amount of surface water, which has to be hoisted to the surface, so the mines can operate.

Born: In Black Hawk, May 6th, 1898, to the wife of Dominick Martello, a son.

Born: In Russell Gulch, May 7th, 1898, to the wife of David D. Mowber, a son.

Born: In Black Hawk, May 7th, 1898, to the wife of Charles Chatfield, a son.

Born: In Central City, May 12th, 1898, to the wife of John Jeffreys, a son.

Married: In Central City, at St. Mary’s Church, Rev. Father Raber officiating, Mr. Anton Lens and Miss Roxine Anderle.

Died: In Russell Gulch, May 11th, 1898, Mrs. Grace Uren, aged 60 years.

Died: William Lafayette Barnett was found dead in his cabin at Gregory Point on Saturday morning last, by the sons of Mr. Fred Kruse, loving there, who had gone there to visit the old gentleman. The coroner was notified and the body taken in charge by undertaker Ed. L. Harris. Deceased was 72 years old and had lived in Gilpin County for nearly thirty years, and was the owner of the Katie claim on Bobtail Hill, a mining property in the Lake District.

146 years ago – May 1873

In this city and vicinity for some time past, there has been what may be called a fuel famine. It has a history. Last winter after the railroad was completed, upon the representations of the company and the owners of coal veins in and about Golden, any of our citizens were induced to lay aside their wood stoves and buy coal burners. Messrs. Reynolds & Cushman established a coal yard at the depot, and advertised extensively their ability to supply the market at reasonable rates. Though meeting with no little difficulty in filling orders through the inability of the railroad to transport it, they drove a brisk business for a short time, when Mr. Loveland entered the field, and swamped all competitors by offering to sell it at $7.50 per ton at the depot. Messrs. R. & C., finding themselves unable to stand the pressure, retired. Mr. Loveland continued to forward sufficient to meet moderate demands, until a week ago, when the market closed suddenly and since last week, people here have had to get along the best way they could. Wood haulers are no longer accessible. They have contracts to fill with mine and mill men and are no longer in the business of finishing fuel to families. Mr. Loveland has leased his mine, and the lessees are putting it into shape for extensive working, but are producing very little coal at the surface. Meanwhile, we are suffering. The late cold weather found us unprepared and unless somebody comes to our relief, it will soon amount to a panic. Will Mr. Loveland, the railroad company, or some other responsible party rise and explain?

The pure, bright, beautiful snow stole softly, gently down, as silent as an infant’s thought, yesterday afternoon and evening, reminding us of the happy days of our childhood, when we used to get walloped for running away from school.

The new pump in the Bobtail Mine works admirably. The lowest shafts and drifts are all clear of water, and in the west end of the lode ore breaking is going on at a rapid rate. In the Sensenderfer claim there is a sedimentary deposit about eight feet deep, which is taken out in buckets. By the middle of next week it is hoped that the entire line of works will be turning out large quantities of ore for the smelters and mill men. Brastow is mining with a small force, but will haul his mineral to the surface instead of taking it out through the tunnel.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button