Turning Back the Pages

• Bookmarks: 3

30 years ago – September 18, 1987

First place went to High Country Volunteer Fire Department at Gilpin County’s annual Firemen’s Muster, held September 12, in Black Hawk. Competing in various events designed to test each department’s skill and speed were High Country, Central City, Colorado Sierra, and Black Hawk fire departments. The first event consisted of donning fire gear and air packs. High Country won with a time of two minutes and 33.6 seconds. Hooking up hoses, shooting a target with a jet of water, replacing a section of hose and hitting a second target was another event. The winner was Black Hawk with a time of 1.01.3, a mere 1.2 seconds ahead of Colorado Sierra. The bucket brigade saw a second victory by High Country, whose members were able to hand-fill a barrel suspended about 10 feet off the ground in 1.23 minutes. Colorado Sierra easily wiped out all competition in the final contest, drafting water from a tank and shooting a barrel suspended on a cable between two posts about 15 feet above the ground. It took only 37 seconds for CSVFD to knock the barrel across the finish line, a full seven seconds less than second place HCVFD. Overall rankings were HCVFD, first; BHVFD, second; CSVFD, third; CCVFD, fourth. A final event held for fun and not affecting the scores was the barrel shoot. It can be described as something like a tug-of-war in reverse. Two departments face off at either end of the cable that holds the big barrel above the ground. At a signal, water pressure is turned on, and each team tries to knock the barrel to the opposite end of the cable, using only the stream from their fire hose. The main purpose of this event might be to allow the lower-ranked teams to vent any frustration or disappointment against the winners and to give them a good soaking.

Say goodbye to one of the old bridges on Tolland Road. A temporary bridge is in place, and road base for access to the recently installed bridge is expected to be finished this week. The old bridge, said Tim Logan, County Road Supervisor, is expected to be removed next week in preparation for the permanent bridge. The new bridge will be 24 to 26 feet wide, said Logan. It will accommodate two cars passing in opposite directions. The old bridge allowed for only one car on the bridge at a time. The estimated completion date for the new permanent bridge is 30 days. It will be installed by Watson Construction Company of Denver. The County has received two grants from the state to replace two bridges on Tolland Road. As soon as the first bridge is completed, said Logan, work on the second bridge will begin. The temporary structure used for the first bridge will also be used while work is being done on the second bridge. The County is providing in-kind service in lieu of payment for the project.

Flo Farringer packed her bags and left Central City on September 12th for Fort Collins, where she will make her home after 13 and a half years in Gilpin County. Farringer moved to Central City from Des Plaines, Illinois. She and her husband, Gene, operated the Lazy J Restaurant on Main Street for five years, until his death. She served on the Central City Council for five years, was the Republican Party committeewoman in Precinct One, and has worked at various businesses in the community. Farringer will be joining a daughter and three grandchildren in Fort Collins, but says she will be coming back to visit friends. She adds that friends are welcome to visit her in her new home. Friends bid her a fond farewell on September 11th, the night before her departure, at a potluck dinner party held at the home of George and Barbara Williams.

60 years ago – September 20, 1957

Central City Nuggets

Across the Crossroads, by A.F. Mayham: A reported uranium strike comes from way up Eureka Gulch about four miles beyond the old Boodle Mill and is said to be richer than anything found in the Schwartzwalder workings. The examination with a geiger counter showed hot stuff, in fact, it was too hot, and the hand shot clear off the dial. If realization is on a par with expectation, it should give Gilpin County a boost in mining uranium. In the U308 line it has to be good to get anywhere nowadays as the uranium business has passed the promotion stage and pretty much settled down with big companies that have the resources to mine and process.

Old King Boreas, in some mysterious way, must have obtained a copy of the Register-Call last week. Wherein it was stated that in cooperation with Jim Peak, as the barometer for his onslaughts of snow and cold weather, and that when snow fell on the peaks, within ten days he would drop his mantle of white in Central City. This proved beyond any doubt that he did not renege in this particular instance. Friday afternoon and night, he deposited between seven and fourteen inches of snow in this vicinity. Rollinsville and Nederland reported more than a foot of the “beautiful,” but the following day Old Sol shone forth with warm rays and the snow rapidly disappeared. Again referring to files of other years, the first snowstorm in the early part of September, occurred in 1903, but an earlier snowfall occurred July 4th, 1906, when a 4th of July celebration was scheduled, and the hose cart races and ball games were postponed to the following day. The weather this year has proven as temperamental as a member of the City Council, but ignoring that fault, it is hoped the coming winter will be less severe than last year.

“Rocky” Sorenson has been ill for the past week, but latest reports are that he is rapidly convalescing.

Mr. and Mrs. Howard Knoll returned Sunday from a two weeks’ vacation spent in Wisconsin.

Mr. and Mrs. Paul Behmer, of Mountain City, have had as guests several relatives from Kansas who returned home the first of the week.

Sympathy is extended to Miss Marie Garwood in the death of her mother, who died last week in a Denver hospital, at the age of 92 years.

Died: Mrs. Katherine Jenkins Salstrand, a member of an early Central City family and long-time Denver resident, died Saturday in Mercy Hospital after a long illness. She was 59. Mrs. Salstrand, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John C. Jenkins, was born October 19, 1897, in Central City. The family moved to Denver in the early 1900s and Mrs. Salstrand graduated from the Wolcott School for Girls here. She attended Colorado University where she was a member of Delta Gamma sorority and Mortar Board. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree there and a Master’s degree at Simmons College in Boston, Mass. When she returned to Denver she joined the Ball and Davidson Advertising Agency, a firm with which she was associated until her death. She was a member of the firm’s board of directors and one of its chief stockholders. She was a member of the Denver Advertising Club and the Lutheran Church. She is survived by a daughter, Miss Katherine Salstrand; a son, Carl; a sister, Miss Dorothy Jenkins, all of Denver; and a brother, John C. Jenkins, of Central City. Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon from the Rogers Mortuary in Denver, with interment in Fairmount Cemetery.

Black Hawk Gold Dust

Mr. Walter Henderson and Mr. Victor Dent were up from the valley last Saturday attending to mining business. They also stopped in to see Otto Rottkamp.

A surprise party for Jim and Jere Collins was held at the Peak to Peak Inn last Saturday night. Those present Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Calabrese, Mr. and Mrs. Bob Green, Mr. and Mrs. Max Robb, Mr. and Mrs. Marlin Belcher, Mrs. Blanche Moore and Mr. W.E. Barnes plus about thirty of their former classmates. A budget lunch was served after a pleasant evening.

Jim and Jere Collins left Sunday for Gunnison, where they will attend Western State College, Jim as a Senior and his sister Jere as a Freshman.

90 years ago – September 23, 1927

On Tuesday evening last, two lads, one named John Mitchell, aged about 21 years, rented a room in the Hadley Block from Mrs. Williams for the night. The next morning when the landlady went to clean up their room, she found the boys had taken the sheets, pillows, and towels from the room. Sheriff Oscar Williams was notified and traced them on the way to East Portal, coming up with them this side of Tolland, where they were held up with a flat tire. He placed them under arrest and brought them back to Central City, where they had a hearing before Justice Gustave Kruse, who fined them $5 and costs, amounting to $17.80 each for their little diversion. The lads had been working at West Portal and had come over the range to East Portal, where they expect to find work.

Attorney Leroy J. Williams came up from Denver Monday evening to attend to matters in the district and county courts.

Messrs. William Ziege, Morris, and Horatio Hazard left for Denver Monday morning to attend the funeral of Malcolm Marks, the court reporter for the first judicial district, who died at St. Anthony’s Hospital, Denver, on Thursday of last week.

Miss Nellie Vincent left for Fort Collins Sunday afternoon, being summoned by the serious illness of her aunt, Mrs. Jane M. Drew, who died that evening.

Died: George W. Wilson, aged 85 years old, a resident of Colorado for sixty eight years, died at his home in Berthoud Friday morning. Wilson came to Colorado in 1859 and settled in Central City, where he and his brother, Richard, secured the contract to supply the town with water, which was hauled in by barrels from a point several miles up the hills. In the early 70s Mr. Wilson took up a homestead in the Little Thompson Valley, where he lived until several years ago, when he moved in Berthoud. He is survived by his widow and five children, Charles A. of Berthoud; George of Johnston; Frank P., who lives in Oregon; Mrs. F. Mention and Mrs. W. E. Hankiff, both of Wellington, Colorado. His brother, Richard, died a number of years ago. Funeral arrangements have not yet been made.

Died: Word was received last week of the death of Malcolm Green, at San Jose, California, on September 12th. The young man attended the local high school during the winter term of 1923, afterwards gong to Golden with his parents to make their home. About a year ago he left for San Diego, for the benefit of his health, which improved, afterwards going to San Jose where his death occurred. His parents were notified, but were unable to reach his bedside before he had passed on. Deceased was 19 years, 11 months of age and leaves his parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Green, and brother Kenneth, all of Golden, to mourn his death. Funeral services were held last week at Trinidad, interment in Trinidad Cemetery.

Died: Funeral services for Jane M. Drew, who died in Fort Collins on September 19th, 1927, will be held tomorrow at the home of her daughter, Mrs. William Hendrickson of Fort Collins, with whom she made her home. Burial will be at Golden, Colorado, where the deceased resided for many years.

120 years ago – September 24, 1897

Mr. Thomas Axtell, who for several years past has been employed in the pharmacy of this city, left Thursday for Denver, accompanied by his wife, where Mr. Axtell has accepted a position with M.M. Maybury, druggist.

Nick Samms, the hack driver, was kicked out with a dose of typhoid fever during the week, and is taking a layoff to recuperate.

Mike Downs of the firm of Downs, Dodgers & Company of this city, had four fingers of his left hand cut off Thursday afternoon, while at work with the machine plane in their establishment. His injuries were attended to at once, but he will be compelled to carry the arm in a sling for some time in the future.

A reception and dance was given in Cannon’s Hall, Nevadaville, on Friday evening by the friends of Miss Chrissie Semmens, in honor of her election as Maid of Honor, from Gilpin County.

Andrew Olsen, a carpenter, cut his wrist badly Wednesday morning with a plane, while at work at the Granite House.

Will James, son of Mrs. James of Bates Hill, received a severe scalp wound last Saturday, while working in the Bobtail tunnel, caused by falling timbers and dirt.

James B. Loyd was seriously injured in the Nugget Mine on Wednesday by being struck on the back by a falling rock, which broke his backbone, and fractured several ribs. He was in a serious condition and was taken to St. Luke’s Hospital in Denver.

In the 100 yard race between R.E. Moan, of Black Hawk and T. Newlun, of Nevadaville, for $100 a side, which took place in Black Hawk on Sunday last, Mr. Newlun was the winner by 15 feet. A large crowd was present and considerable money changed hands on the result.

Born: In Black Hawk, September 18th, 1897, to the wife of Frank Bunney, a daughter.

Born: In Black Hawk, September 19th, 1897, to the wife of John Helm, a daughter.

Born: In Central City, September 19th, 1897, to the wife of Samuel Neno, a daughter.

Born: In Central City, September 20th, 1897, to the wife of John Cody, a son.

Died: In Apex, September 21st, 1897, of heart disease, Sarah McClaffin, aged 16 years.

146 years ago – September 10, 1872

There appears to be a clause in our postal law, which works great injustice to the great mass of letter writers. It provides that double postage shall be collected from the receivers upon all letters insufficiently paid; that is, if the sender uses but one stamp, and the Postmaster finds upon weighing the letter that it should have had two, the receiver must pay, not three cents, the sum of the discrepancy, but six cents, or double the amount required. If a letter requires three stamps and is sent with one only, the receiver must pay twelve cents before he can get his letter. The effect of the law is to compel every man addicted to correspondence, either to keep a set of postal scales with a copy of the rates constantly at hand, or have his letters weighed at the post office. People whose correspondence is extensive, complain loudly of this section of the law, and the opposition to it has become so pronounced and bitter, as to have reached the ears of the Postmaster General who, while depreciating the apparent injustice of the Act, is compelled to enforce its observance until repealed or modified by Congress. This will probably be done at the next session. We claim that it should be, for the reason that it is impossible for any man to tell without scales whether his letter is overweight or not, and if the amount is only sufficient to turn the beam by a hair’s breadth, the strict letter of the law compels the Postmaster to double the postage. And should his process of weighing happen to be different from that in the Post Office the same result is certain to follow in many cases. We hope, therefore, that the attention of our law makers will be given to this subject, and that the postal service may be spared further condemnation through present technicalities.

3 recommended
bookmark icon