Turning Back the Pages

30 years ago – June 26, 1987

Minerva walked out of the Teller House in Central City on June 20, but apparently not on her own. Minerva, a historic, priceless 40-pound bronze statue, placed at the bottom of the staircase at the Teller House, was stolen shortly before midnight. The theft occurred during the “Madams and Miner’s Ball,” celebrating Madam Lou Bunch Day, which was held upstairs in the Eureka Ballroom. The statue is about 31 inches tall. Its left hand is outstretched with the right arm and hand extending forward. The figure is barefoot, nude from the waist up, and is draped from the hips. The brass base which held the statue was also stolen. The Teller House is offering a reward for the safe return of Minerva. No questions will be asked if she’s returned voluntarily. Anyone with information about Minerva is urged to call the Teller House, or call the metro line at City Hall.

Editor’s Opinion: Acceptable and Unacceptable Letters: Two letters to the editor were recently received that will not be published in the Register-Call. I feel that it is appropriate and necessary to offer an explanation to both of these parties before there are any misunderstandings. The first letter was submitted by a man who felt compelled to call an individual a “jerk, turkey, nerd,” etc. Name calling, as a means of voicing an opinion, I do not feel is acceptable. The second letter was from an individual who requested his “name withheld for fear of retribution.” it has been, and continues to be, the policy of this paper to publish only those letters with a penned signature and telephone number. I welcome and appreciate letters from anyone, at any time, that address an issue and voice an individual opinion, no matter what the subject matter. For clarification purposes, letters are printed exactly as they are received. The only corrections made to letters are in regard to spelling and punctuation errors. Letters are published solely at the discretion of the editor—not the publisher, the staff, etc. Extremely lengthy letters will be returned to the writer for editing. I will not accept the responsibility for editing a letter. Letters thanking a person or an organization are not considered letters to the editor, but a card of thanks, which is a paid classified or display advertisement. Letters and advertisements during an election must follow certain legal requirements and will be addressed at another time. I will gladly publish letters to the editor except those that fall into any one of the following categories. Personal attacks or a vendetta against an individual or business, letters containing inappropriate language or name calling, and unsigned letters will not appear in this paper. Signed, Claire Tanner.

Died: Frank Henry Ricketson: One of the leading developers of the Central City Opera Association since its founding in 1932, Frank Henry Ricketson, Jr., passed away at St. Joseph Hospital in Denver on June 18, 1987. He was 91 years old. Rickets was born in Leavenworth, Kansas, on October 22, 1895. He graduated with a bachelor’s degree from the University of Kentucky. Prior to residing in Denver, he was an Army lieutenant in World War I. After the war he worked as a reporter and editor for The Denver Post. In 1920 he married Maize Donnegan, who also worked for the Post. She was instrumental in encouraging Ricketson to help restore and reopen the Central City Opera House. Ricketson opened his first theatre in Montrose in 1925. By 1929 he had 30 movie houses and joined the Fox nationwide chain. He served as president from 1934 to 1956. From 1949 to 1969 he was chairman of the Central City Opera Association. He was honored by the association in 1973. Rickets was preceded in death by his wife in 1959 and their only son, Frank, in 1983. He is survived by his sister, Virginia Keith of Wyoming, and four grandchildren: Mary and Frank Henry Ricketson IV of Denver, Kathleen Ricketson of Minneapolis, Minnesota, and Rosanne Johnston of Overland Park, Kansas. Mass was held Manda at Holy Ghost Roman Catholic Church in Denver. Private burial services were held at Mount Olivet Cemetery in Wheat Ridge.

60 years ago – July 5, 1957

Central City Nuggets

The Opening Day program, commemorating the opening of the Opera House Festival for the summer of 1957 was a most successful one, and the Businessmen’s Association, recently formed, deserve much credit and praise for their deep interest and supervision of events for this particular and special day. Ralph Batchelet, of Denver, who for many years past, has given his time and interest to this festive day, was again Master of Ceremonies, and in his usual capable and efficient manner, handled each and every event over loud speakers that did much to make the entire program a phenomenal success. We salute you, Ralph, for your genuine cooperation.

As in former years, the rock drilling contest and the hose cart race occupied the interest of the crowd more than any other event, many visitors coming here to view these two interesting and old-time spectacles. The rock drilling contest was won by Otto Blake, of Black Hawk, who drilled a hole 5 and 7/8 inches in the allotted time of 5 minutes. Max Robb, of Central City, was second with 5 and 3/8 inches, and Joe Menegatti, also of Central, penetrated the rock to a depth of 5 and 7/16 inches. Norman Blake, of the Bureau of Mines, and Wm. Russell, were the judges.

In a fitting tribute to the memory of Mrs. Henry P. Lowe, several close and intimate friends gathered in the rear of her home on Eureka Street, Monday morning to commemorate her memory. Mr. Hugh L. Larry read several passages from the Scriptures, and the short services were in homage to a departed friend. Mrs. Lowe, who died ten days ago, had asked that her body be cremated, and also the body of her husband, which has been in a crypt in the chapel at Fairmount Cemetery for over thirty years, and the combined ashes be spread over the lot behind the house she had occupied for so many years. However, the ashes of both Mr and Mrs. Lowe did not arrive in time for these services, but her wishes will be carried out within the next few days.

Died: A very unfortunate accident happened Wednesday morning, when Robert Smith, about 17 years of age, was killed by a bullet fired from a 22 calibre rifle held in the hands of Clyde Perkins, 16, the bullet penetrating the heart and death was instantaneous. Robert Smith, Clyde Perkins, and Raymond Moore, 15, all of this city, left Tuesday evening to spend the night at the old Goober Ranch, west of Central City, with Wm. Bell, who has been working for Major Smith on the old Taster Ranch. The following morning, about 8:00 o’clock, they engaged in target practice with a 22-calibre rifle, and then later decided to indulge in a game of “Cops and Robbers,” using this loaded rifle and firing over the heads of their “enemies.” While engaged in this dangerous game, Smith ran out from a corner of the building, when Perkins fired his rifle, the bullet hitting him in the heart. He walked about fifty feet, being stunned by the impact, but when he drew air into his lungs, he immediately collapsed and fell dead. Bell, who was saddling a horse in the barn, then rode to the Smith home, where Mrs. Smith telephoned Sheriff Floyd Campbell, and also Dr. Fowler in Idaho Springs, who immediately came over, and pronounced Smith dead. Coroner Charles Robins was immediately called and, with Sheriff Campbell, visited the scene, and after making investigation, declared the unfortunate incident an accident, and that no inquest would be held. Robert Smith is survived by his mother and several brothers and sisters, was a student of the Gilpin County High School, and his untimely death is most unfortunate. The body was taken to the Romford Mortuary in Idaho Springs, and funeral services will be held tomorrow at the Methodist Church in this city, with interment in the Masonic Cemetery.

Black Hawk Gold Dust

Mrs. John Nassimbene was up from Denver Friday night for a visit with her son, Dr. Jack Nassimbene, and family and also to attend the dress rehearsal of the Opera.

Mrs. Dowell Blake left Monday with her two children for Pagosa Springs where she will visit relatives for a short time.

Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Pinerton, of Oklahoma City are enjoying a visit with his sister Mrs. J.D. Nassimbene and family.

The Misses Marla Kivett and Esther Rings are now staying at Mrs. Lettie Grays, while working at “Ye Olde Fashioned Restaurant.”

90 years ago – July 1, 1927 

Mrs. Melita Seymour and daughter, Miss Irma, of Denver, have gone to Oakland, California, on a visit with relatives for the summer.

James Walters, wife and little son, motored over from Nederland Friday, on a visit with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Lampshire. He returned home Saturday, but Mrs. Walters and son are extending their visit for the week.

Mr. and Mrs. Fred McFarlane motored up from Denver Friday afternoon, accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. Charles H. Goodrich, of Birmingham, New York, and Mrs. R.S. Wilson, of Denver, on a short tour of the mountains, returning home during the evening. Mr. Goodrich was a former chief of police of New York City, and with his wife they are enjoying themselves while taking in the many attractions of the Rocky Mountain region, under the guidance of Mr. and Mrs. McFarlane.

How to Make an Unusual Dessert by Nellie Maxwell: Take a pint can of condensed milk and put into a deep dish, cover with boiling water and keep boiling for two and one half hours. Remove, cool and slip out the contents by cutting the can carefully. Slice and serve well chilled with a cherry on top. Several cans may be cooked at once and opened with needed. This will serve four to six persons and has a flavor much like maple.

How to Make Different Dried Beef by Nellie Maxwell: take dried beef, cut into strips with scissors and fry in a tablespoonful of butter. Place on a hot platter and surround with halved and quartered bananas, also fried, long enough to become thoroughly hot.

Born: In Denver, June 27th, 1927, to the wife of Willed R. Lake, a son.

Married: Peter O’Connor, son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas O’Connor, and Miss Iowa Hinkle, daughter of Max Hinkle, were married Sunday at Golden. Rumors of the happy event had leaked out, but the young people gave their friends the slip and quietly drove over to Golden, the former home of the groom. Peter O’Connor is associated with his father in the Oak Creek Bottling Works, and both young people have many friends who will be extending congratulations.

120 years ago – July 2, 1897

Mrs. T. Sullivan, of this city, accompanied by her daughter, Mrs. Fred Hughes and son, of Black Hawk, left for Butte, Montana, on Tuesday, on a visit of a couple of months with relatives.

The graduating class of the Black Hawk public schools were tendered a reception on Friday evening at the home of Mrs. H.L. Grenfell, county superintendent of schools, and an enjoyable evening followed.

A force of 40 men are employed on the Sleepy Hollow Mine, in Black Hawk, and daily shipments of 40 tons of mill ore to the mills are maintained. The shaft, which has been in the hands of the contractors, has been sunk a depth of another 100 feet, and shows up a crevice nearly two feet in width of a good grade of ore, and levels will be started on both sides of the shaft next week. The regular work of drifting and stoping is being carried on in the upper levels by company men as well as by tributers.

A force of 17 men are working in the Puzzle Mine on day and night shifts, and enough ore is being taken out daily to keep 10 stamps constantly dropping in one of the mills of Black Hawk. Sinking is being carried on from a depth of 150 feet, and drifting and stoping in various portions of the mine are being carried on at the same time. The ore is of a fair grade in value, and is improving as development work progresses.

Born: In Central City, Wednesday, June 30th, 1897, to the wife of Nell McKaw, a son.

Married: In Nevadaville, at Christ’s Church, June 30th, 1897, Rev. A. Clay officiating, Mr. George Nankervis to Miss Mary Harry, both of Nevadaville.

Married: In Central City, at St. Mary’s Church, June 30th, 1897, Rev. G. Raber officiating, Mr. James McKibben and Miss Edith D. Henry, both of Nevadaville.

Died: In Denver, June 30th, 1897, of miner’s consumption, Thomas Seery.

146 years ago – July 1, 1872

Rev. Father Bourion, of St. Patrick’s Church, presented us, last Monday, with a photograph of the proposed new church to be built in Central during the present season. The north front tower is to be one hundred and sixty five feet in height, the south tower one hundred and eighteen feet. The length of the building will be one hundred and thirty five feet, and width fifty four feet. Three arches will extend from the front to the rear, the central imposts being supported by columns. The central arch will be fifty feet in height, and each side arch thirty five. The front walls and towers will be built of cut granite, and the style and finish gothic. When this building is completed, it will be by far the most magnificent church edifice in Colorado.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button