Turning Back the Pages

30 years ago – May 29, 1987

Jonlee Anderle is the valedictorian of the 1987 Gilpin County RE-1 graduating class. Shane Shields is the class salutatorian. The two students lead their class through graduation exercises at the school on May 23. A total of 26 students graduated in the Class of 1987. The staff at the Weekly Register-Call regrets that the pictures of the entire graduating class did not turn out. We apologize to the class and their parents for not having any pictures.

Never before has a Russian jazz band visited these shores. But one is headed our way. The amazing itinerary includes the Leningrad Dixieland Jazz Band playing in Sacramento, then San Francisco, then Los Angeles, then at the Gilded Garter in Central City, then on to Milwaukee, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, and concluding the tour in Washington D.C. with a concert at the Smithsonian Institution. The Central City Jazz Society will present two performances by this fascinating octet. On Saturday, May 30, the Leningrad Dixieland Jazz Band will be appearing with Joe’s Band – the Pole Cats beginning at 8:00p.m. at the Gilded Garter on Main Street in Central City. On Sunday, May 31, the Queen City Jazz Band will join the Leningrad Dixieland Jazz Band for an afternoon of jazz starting at 2:00 p.m. Tickets for the show are $15.00 and can be purchased at the Central City Rock Shop on Main Street. Space is limited. Only 175 tickets will be available for each performance.

Died: S. Alberta Malmgren: S. Alberta Malmgren of Pinecliffe passed away at home on May 25, 1987. She was 82 years old. Private services were held at Moore-Howard Mortuary yesterday in Denver. Interment was in Bald Mountain Cemetery in Central City. Malmgren was born in Boulder, Colorado, on December 29, 1904, to Albert Jay and Sadie Hadley Forbes. She was reared and educated in Hutchinson, Kansas. In 1921 she married Albert A. Malmgren. He preceded her in death in June of 1967. S. Alberta Malmgren resided in Pinecliffe since 1940. She is survived by her son Alvin E., of Denver; five grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. Prior to her death she was a member of the Golden Queen Chapter 17 of Eastern Star, the Order of Amaranth, and the American Legion Cody Thomas Post ladies auxiliary in Central City. Those who wish may make contributions to cancer research, a heart fund, or the charity of your choice

Died: Jack F. Welch: Jack F. Welch, resident of Jackson Hole for the past 15 years, passed away on May 13 at St. Mary’s Hospital in Tucson, Arizona, following a relatively short illness. Born in Central City, Jack was employed for 37 years by Denver Wildlife Research Center under the Department of the Interior. Following retirement he made his home in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. In recent years, he spent the winter months in Green Valley, Arizona. He is survived by his son, Jack Robert Welch of Golden, and his wife, Grace, of Jackson Hole and Green Valley. Memorial services, to be determined at a later date, will be held in Denver and Jackson Hole. Remembrances may be made to the First Baptist Church of Jackson Hole, Wyoming, or Trout Limited, a Jackson Hole chapter.

60 years ago – June 7, 1957

Central City Nuggets

We vehemently object to this new custom of blowing the siren whenever an accident occurs, the eerie and terrifying sounds summoning the fire department and all the citizens to the City Hall where all firefighting apparatus is kept, and then only to learn that a car accident, in which an inebriated person has careened off the road, sustaining a bruised big toe, or few scratches and perhaps needs help. The fire siren has taken the place of the fire bell, and is only to be used as a call for the fire department and all citizens to help in extinguishing a blaze that might become serious, and ultimately destroy the town. It is fast becoming like the “cry of wolf,” and the citizens do not know whether a disastrous fire has occurred or that a quarrel or an accident has happened, and the siren is used to assemble everyone in search for a set of dentures that may have been lost. If an accident happens, then use the fire bell, calling for assistance, but not the fire siren, and relative to this article, there is no consistent reason that the siren should be blown when the fire department meets each month. The fire bell is still available and should be used for that purpose.

Miss Maldy Waters, of the Fort Cody resort, near Rollinsville, is presently employed by Lee Lyle at his popular Gold Mine establishment, and her pleasing personality and gracious smile does much to enhance this establishment.

We are severely handicapped this week as our linotype operator and printer decided that perhaps he needed a change of pasture, so accompanied by George Sandrock, they motored to New York City. George, however, was to report to Camp West, Saturday morning, for training with the National Guard, and is flying home, so as not to be declared AWOL. Tom Cryan, our printer, is driving his car back, and it is expected he will be in Central City next Tuesday morning.

Black Hawk Gold Dust

Mrs. Perl Neff was in Boulder Sunday where she visited her granddaughter and husband, Mr. and Mrs. Gordon Swan.

Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Nicholls left Tuesday by bus for Little Rock, Ark., to visit Tom Smith, a friend whom they haven’t seen in thirty years. They expect to be gone about ten days.

Charles Fisher plans to go to Fort Carson Sunday where he will receive some training in the National Guard.

Mrs. Belle Tobin has been assisting at the Frank Fleiss home in the care of Mr. Fleiss, who is quite ill.

The roaring water in North Clear Creek is higher now than it’s been in many years and threatens to overflow in several places in this vicinity.

The Gardner Lunch Room, now owned by Mr. and Mrs. Hendrick, will be known in the future as the Ryann Cafe.

Poncho Gates tried his luck at fishing in the South Boulder Creek Tuesday, but merely succeeded in getting his car mired down in the mud and spent most of the day getting out again.

90 years ago – June 3, 1927

Herman Peterson and mother motored up from Denver Thursday afternoon and spent a portion of the day at the cemetery, where loved ones are buried, returning home during the afternoon.

Joe Hesselbine, wife and children, accompanied by Mrs. John Loughran, came up from Denver on Saturday morning on a visit to the cemetery, returning during the afternoon accompanied by Mr. Chris Hesselbine.

Louis Dukse, his wife and children, came up from Denver Saturday afternoon, to spend Decoration Day with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Robert C. Johnson, returning home Monday afternoon.

Mrs. L.J. Williams and daughter, Jane, accompanied by Mr. C.B. Tylor, wife and daughter, came up from Denver Saturday afternoon and occupied the Williams cottage, returning to Denver Sunday afternoon.

Otto Blake, Jr., had a narrow escape from serious injury, if not death, on Saturday evening, when his Ford auto got away from him and turned over twice near the Buell Mill, throwing him out on the roadway. He escaped with a few scratches, and a whole lot of experience. The auto was badly wrecked.

Died: In Bedford, Virginia, at the Elks National Home, May 31st, 1927, John T. Smith, aged 74 years. Such was the word received by Henry Stahl, secretary of the local Elks Lodge, on Wednesday last. Mr. Smith will be well remembered as the express messenger on the C. & S. Railroad, running from Forks Creek to this city, a number of years ago, and at one time was manager of the Elks Club of this city, and is survived by a sister residing at Glenwood Springs, Colorado. He was a member of Central City Lodge of Elks, and had been in the National Hospital since last December. His burial will take place at Humboldt, Kansas.

120 years ago – June 4, 1897

Mrs. Peter Ruh thanks the people of Nevadaville for their subscriptions given her for the purpose of procuring an invalids chair for James Letcher, who was injured in the American Flag Mine two years ago last March. The money has been turned over to Mr. Ed. L. Harris, who has ordered the chair, and who will see that it is delivered to the invalid on its arrival.

The glove contest between Kid Parker of Denver, and Bob Hall of Central, took place at the Opera House on Saturday evening. Previous to the main event, boxing exhibitions were given by Denver parties and the Nankervis brothers of Nevadaville. Then came the contest in which Parker was to stop Hall in twelve rounds, and Joseph McIntire of Denver, was chosen referee. The referee cautioned Parker concerning foul blows, and not heeding him, he stopped the bout in the third round, giving the decision to Hall. Parker, in his anger in losing the fight, knocked the referee down, and after quiet was restored, an agreement was reached to divide the money between the two men.

During the month of May there was shipped from the Black Hawk station to the smelters in Denver and elsewhere, 295 carloads of ore, aggregating 4,720 tons. As compared with the same month of last year, the figures show an increase of 49 carloads, or 784 tons. The shipments for the month was wholly smelting ore and tailings.

A shipment of 20 cords of mill ore from the Centennial Mine, in Chase Gulch, during the month of May, returned gold retorts weighing 147 ounces.

Born: In Black Hawk, May 30th, 1897, to the wife of James Rafferty, a daughter.

Born: In Black Hawk, May 30th, 1897, to the wife of Charles Zaire, a daughter.

Born: In Central City, May 29th, 1897, to the wife of Nick Andres, a daughter.

Born: In Central City, May 30th, 1897, to the wife o Peter Pressler, a son.

Born: In Central City, May 31st, 1897, to the wife of Wm. Hoefle, a daughter.

146 years ago – June 10, 1872

That new forty dollar fishing pole, weighing only eight ounces, of Aitcheson’s has been the admiration of all the crack piscatorial sportsmen about town for the last two days.

The senior of the Register takes great pleasure in acknowledging the receipt of an elegant cane from Captain Joseph Taber, of Fairhaven, Massachusetts, father of Mrs. Alvin Marsh, of Black Hawk. It is of ebony, which the Captain bought himself in Africa. The head is made from a walrus tooth, which he brought from the frozen oceans, and inlaid with mother of pearl, obtained by him from the Indian seas. It was made by the Captain himself especially for this presentation. He is upward of eighty three years of age, and yet the workmanship of this cane shows that he has retained the vigor and youth as few do. Such a token of friendship cannot be forgotten, and is certainly appreciated. Mr. Allen, of Conan Allen, has our thanks for bringing it.

Bates & Son started their new mill in Nevada Gulch, last Tuesday, on ore taken from a tunnel that the La Crosse tunnel intersects. Aside from the ordinary stamp mill, this differs in having a set of burr stones so arranged that the pulp, after passing from the stamps and over the tables, is ground to an impalpable powder. This attrition of these stones thoroughly burnishes all particles of rusty gold that have passed over the first tables without amalgamation, and prepares them for the second series of tables that are connected with the grinder. This principle, as applied in this case, will no doubt be of incalculable benefit as an addition to stamp mills generally. Messrs. Bates & Son do not profess to have a very high percent of the fire assay, but believe, with this addition, they can save an ounce or two more of gold than by the ordinary method. We wish them abundant success, and hope to see their method come into general use.

The Black Hawk Branch Savings Bank is receiving deposits to the amount of one thousand dollars per day average. This looks very much like business. Its gold purchases range between forty and one hundred ounces daily. The management of Mr. Henry Hannington seems to be entirely acceptable to the public, and as he will remain for some time at the head of this experimental institution which is rapidly growing into a very successful success, the Black Hawkers are correspondingly elated.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button