Turning Back the Pages

30 years ago – May 8, 1987

High County Volunteer Fire Department battled its first forest fire of the season on April 29. The fire occurred one half mile north of Magnolia Road in Boulder County in the Roosevelt National Forest. Lighting ignited two large trees and spread to smaller trees and about 1,500 square feet of grass. Eleven firefighters from High Country, aided by six Sugar Loaf Fire Department members, put the fire out after two hours using hand tools and water backpacks. “It’s the earliest lightning strike forest fire that any of us could remember,” said High County Fire Department Chief Dave Thomas. According to Deputy Chief Fran Etzkorn, about 60 to 65 percent of High Country’s forest fires are caused by lightning. “These fires are usually very difficult to locate. There isn’t generally a path leading to the fire.” said Etzkorn.

Alleged rumors that have been circulated in the county concerning a former First Interstate Bank, Gilpin County Facility employee were verified to be untrue. Employees at the Weekly Register-Call received several inquiries regarding the alleged wrongdoing that concerned the former employee, the bank, and the Gilpin County Sheriff’s Department. Accusations were made that the employee released information to the sheriff’s department regarding activity on certain accounts. Last week, Sheriff Rosetta Enderle said, “If the allegations are true, the bank would, by law, have to press charges.” Enderle said that it had been determined that the rumor was being circulated by a person that has a problem with the sheriff’s department. Pamela Vincent, facility manager of the bank, confirmed that charges were not filed. She refused to comment further about the employee’s dismissal. Francis Sweeney, president of the First Interstate Bank, said Wednesday that the bank normally does not respond to rumor, but he agreed to look into the matter due to the possible outcome it may have. Sweeney said, “It was not the reason the young lady left our bank at all. She left our firm, but not for any reason of misconduct.” Sweeney explained that all employees sign a form upon being hired agreeing to not release information regarding customer’s accounts. The information or activity of an account is strictly confidential. He added, “We don’t think that it has been violated.”

The week of April 27th was School Hot Lunch Appreciation Week. The rest of the staff at the Gilpin RE-1 School have honored their terrific kitchen personnel by awarding them the April Employee Spotlight Award. Marilyn Peterson, kitchen manager, has been a dedicated employee and friend of students and staff for three years. She operates the kitchen with the utmost in efficiency. She often helps clubs, high school classes, teachers workshops, and so on by providing the facilities, food, and her own personal help. Thanks Marilyn! Pauletta Gain joined the RE-1 School district in 1985 as a “part-timer.” She has joined the kitchen as full-time help this year. Pauletta is also very active in girl scouting. She is always seen working and caring about others in a high energy way. Thanks Pauletta! Pat Putnam of the deeeeeeep south, brought her charming accent and lore to our school staff this year. Pat’s special treat is salads for employees. Sure glad you joined our staff, Pat. Thanks! The school star would like to express its deepest appreciation to these three ladies for their baked goods, balanced and creative meals, their very early and hard-working hours, and for their sense of compassion, caring, and fairness toward others. Watch out thought, they WILL “tell you where it’s at… “ Congratulations!

60 years ago – May 17, 1957

Central City Nuggets 

Mr. and Mrs. George McLaughlin returned Saturday from Denver where they spent the winter. They are both happy to be back in Central, and in celebration of their return, “Curley” started showing his superiority in various card games at his popular pool room, and obviously is feeling “quite pert.” However, his rheumatic condition, commonly called the “gout” has been bothering him since his return and which has been more or less of a coincidence, as when he suffers from this painful ailment, Ye Editor also experiences the same. We are glad they are back in Central.

Died: Mrs. Gladys Erickson, Principal and teacher of the First and Second Grades in the Clark School, this city, was found dead in her bed, Monday morning, by County Commissioner Martin Nelson, who called to bring her into Central City for her teaching classes. He immediately notified Coroner Charles Robins and Sheriff Floyd Campbell, who found that death had occurred some few hours earlier, as the body was still warm, her death being attributed to a blood clot or coronary condition. She was 41 years of age. Mrs. Erickson has been living at the old Gunny Ranch some two miles North of Central for the past several years, making daily trips here; but due to adverse conditions of the roads, Mr. Nelson has generously given of is time and motor transportation in bringing her into Central each morning for her daily teaching. She has been the Principal and teacher of the Primary classes for the past nine years, having been an instructor in the schools of Rollinsville and Black Hawk for several years prior to that time. She was born in Denver, was a graduate of North High School in that city, attended and graduated from the State Teacher’s College, at Greeley, and was doing extensive graduate work from the University of Denver. Her untimely death was a decided shock to the community, as she was universally admired and loved by all who knew her, particularly the parents whose children she had under her supervision. She had that particular aptitude of gaining the confidence of those children of kindergarten grades, who came to her with their many childish problems, with tears in their eyes, and left with a smile and sparkle in their eyes, knowing that she, as a mother and counsellor, had analyzed their problems. She was a stalwart worker for the improvement of the school system, and socially, was most admired and loved. She is survived by one son, Andrew, who is on duty with the Infantry in Germany, and was refused a furlough to come here to attend his mother’s funeral. The request was made by the American Red Cross, but had either Senator or Congressman from Colorado been informed as to the status relative to his mother’s death, they would have petitioned the Pentagon, or “high brass,” and such furlough would have been granted. She is also survived by two sisters, Mrs. Hazel Fenske, of Wichita, Kansas, and Mrs. Alice Browne, of Miami, Florida; a stepmother, Mrs. G.C. Schrader, of Greeley, Colorado, and two nieces and one nephew, of Miami. Funeral services are being held this Friday afternoon at 1:00 o’clock from St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, in Central City, with Father Pitkin, of Denver, officiating, with increment in Dory Hill Cemetery.

Black Hawk Gold Dust

Mr. and Mrs. Gene Enderle and baby, and Mr. and Mrs. George Enderle and daughter Shirley, enjoyed a pleasant trip on Mother’s Day when they drove to the Garden of the Gods, Cheyenne Mt. Zoo, and other places of interest near Colorado Springs.

Mr. Walter Henderson was up from Golden Saturday on mining business. He says his son Walter Jr. will soon be going into the Air Force.

Mrs. Velma Barba and Mrs. Henry Klein were up from the valley Tuesday to sort and pack house goods. Since the Kleins have moved to Denver, they plan to sell their house on Marchant Street.

Mrs. Elizabeth Branecki and Mrs. Dolores Spellman entertained at a family dinner Sunday at the latter’s house. Among those enjoying the affair were Mr. and Mrs. Otto O. Blake, Ed Miller, and Mrs. Mary Blake.

Mr. and Mrs. Ted Fenske of Wichita, Kansas and Mrs. Alice Browne of Miami, Florida, were here to attend the funeral of Mrs. Gladys Erickson.

Mrs. Dolly Belcher was called to Pueblo, Colorado, last Monday due to the death of a brother in law, Ross Smith.

90 years ago – May 13, 1927

Saturday night, a snow storm left a foot of the beautiful white stuff covering the mountain sides. Early Sunday morning, a strong west wind made its appearance and during the whole of the day it was almost impossible to get out of the house, and at times, impossible to see across the streets. East of Colorado, the wind developed into cyclonic proportions, causing many deaths and injury to hundreds, as well as great property loss. In the mountains, no damage resulted, and with the warm sunshine of the past few days, the snow has gradually disappeared.

The eleven year old Tommy Herbert, whose picture appeared in the Denver Post of Wednesday evening, whose incredible talent with the violin has attracted the attention of Denver musicians, and who will give a recital at the Central Christian Church in Denver, this Friday evening, is a nephew of Mrs. Hall, of this city.

How to Make Baked Custard by Nellie Maxwell: Beat four eggs slightly, add a half cupful of sugar, a pinch of salt, a half teaspoonful of grated nutmeg or cinnamon, and one quart of milk. Set into the oven in a pan of water and bake until firm enough to cut with a knife, and the knife comes out clean. Overcooking will curdle or coarsen the custard, making it less digestible and far less attractive in appearance. A perfect custard should be as smooth and even graded as cream. Remember to remove the custard from the water pan when taken from the oven, or they will continue to cook in the hot water. Set into cold water to chill and serve well chilled.

The Why of Superstitions by H. Irving King: The Measuring Worm: If you are sitting on the plaza of a farmhouse and see one of those little creatures known as the measuring worm looping its way over your clothing, brush it off right away. If you don’t, you are likely to die before your time – as any country bred person can tell you. They will probably laugh at the superstition as they recount it, but, nevertheless, watch how quickly they will brush off a measuring worm if one gets on them. This old superstition arises from that association of ideas with things so common to our prehistorical ancestors and so natural to the human mind in all ages – not by any means excepting this age. The little larva of the geometric moth has feet only at bow and stern, so when he moves he draws up his hind feet, places them close to his front feet, and then sends his front feet on ahead for a fresh foothold, apparently measuring off the person son whom he crawls in a slow and solemn manner. Why is he making this peculiar motion, so different from the method of locomotion with other worms? The submerged, primitive mind arises from the “unconscious” and answers, “He is measuring out the life of man,” or “He is measuring for a shroud.” It is useless to argue that he may be measuring you for a new suit of clothes; for the primitive mind’s natural tendency is to look on the dark side of things and regard the unusual as the threatening. The writer has heard children cry with awe: “Brush off that measuring worm! If you don’t, when he takes his last measure you will die!”

120 years ago – May 14, 1897

Patrick McCann, of the Pheonix-Burroughs property, spent Sunday in Denver with his family.

Professor F.H. Miller, principal of the public schools of this city, was elected president of the Clear Creek Valley Teachers Association for the coming year at its late meeting at Idaho Springs.

Mrs. Wm. May and child arrived from Leadville on Tuesday and will occupy a residence on Nevada Street.

James B. Williams, and the Misses Richards and Bessie Chappell, all of Nevadaville, who left on Monday a visit with friends and relatives in England, expecting to be gone for three or four months.

All work on the Gilpin County Courthouse has been stopped and will not be recommenced until the whole matter is gotten in shape so that the issue of bonds could be made legal. As the amount of money to be raised is beyond the limit, allowed by the present law, being only $12 on each $1,000 of assessed valuation, the only way in which an additional sum can be legalized, will be by an act of the legislature, and as that body does not meet again for two years, work can no continue again for at least three years.

The Carr Mine on Bobtail Hill is still keeping up its record of shipments of high grade ore, both mill and smelting, as can well be seen from the following figures: Ten tons of first class worth $204.30 per ton; seven tons of second class with value of $78.50 per ton, and six cords of mill ore that returned $671.25, the total production of the mine for the month of April brings $3,263.75 with a working force of only seven men. Sinking the main shaft is to be commenced in the near future.

During the month of April, the Hidden Treasure, Indiana, and Kansas mines, operated by the Gold Coin Mines Company, produced ore of the value of $25,000. Month after month these properties produce a similar amount, the company seeking to keep the products as near that amount as possible.

Born: In Central City, May 7th, 1897, to the wife of Michael Downs, a son.

Born: In Russell Gulch, May 7th, 1897, to the wife of Robert Griffith, a son.

Born: In Nevadaville, May 10th, 1897, to the wife of Wm. Dickerson, a daughter.

Married: In Central City, May 11th, 1897, at the Methodist Parsonage, of Central City, Peter E. Anderson, of Central City, and Miss Hilda C. Larson, of Denver.

Married: In Central City, May 12th, 1897, at the Church of the Assumption, John J. Galvin and Miss Bridget O’Brien.

Died: In Russel Gulch, May 8th, 1897, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Evan Evans, aged 11 months.

Died: In Black Hawk, May 9th, 1897, Bertha Mishler, aged 22 years.

Died: In Central City, May 13th, 1897, of typhoid fever, Felix Zadra, aged 28 years.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button