Turning back the pages

30 years ago – March 6, 1987

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has deemed that an emergency response will be undertaken at the Gregory Incline and Tailings site in Black Hawk. The site is located behind the Black Hawk Conoco station off of Highway 119. According to Sharon Kercher of the emergency response branch, the contract manager will be at the location next week.  The work is scheduled to start March 16. A letter from Kercher to Mayor Bill Lorenz of Black Hawk states that “the  timber crib wall which currently retains the tailings from falling into North Clear Creek is in danger of collapse during the spring runoff. A massive failure of the tailings into the creek would change the pH of the water from seven to three, resulting in aquatic life kill. The City of Golden uses Clear Creek as a drinking water source, and a collapse of the tailings would result in heavy metal contamination of the creek which would exceed drinking water standards for up to two weeks.” The Superfund Remedial program intends to stabilize the tailings pile by removing the timber crib wall and replacing it with a retaining wall constructed with gabion baskets. The tailings slope will be cut back to the angle of the slope. Kercher said that the estimated cost of the project is $220,000. It has not been determined by the EPA if Norman Blake, owner of the property, will be held responsible for the cost of the project. Kercher said that a decision will not be made until all of the locations in the area are addressed. The EPA considers if the land owner is “financially solvent” and evidence of the owner deliberately putting the material at the site as ways of determining if the owner is financially responsible. The EPA has been negotiating with Blake since November, according to kerchief. Based on negotiations, “he is not ready to undertake the project.” Certain requirements are technically necessary, and “The EPA will take care of the situation,” Kercher said. In July of 1986, the EPA presented four possible options for the Gregory Incline and Tailings site. Each of the options cost about a half of a million dollars. At a public meeting, it was the majority consensus of the people in attendance to build a culvert. The Gregory Incline and Tailings are part of a large project within the Clear Creek/Central City Priorities List. The other areas include the National Tunnel in the southern part of Black Hawk, the Quartz Hill Tunnel south of Central City, the Argo Tunnel and Mill in Idaho Springs, and the Big Five Tunnel which is also in Idaho Springs. The Argo Tunnel is scheduled to be addressed next followed by the Big Five Tunnel and then the National.

Recall petitions for two of the three Gilpin County Commissioners are being circulated. The petitions are to recall from office Commissioner Leslie Williams and Commissioner Alan Baird. A recall petition is not being circulated for Commissioner Carroll Beck. According to Colorado statutes: “No recall petition shall be circulated or signed against any officer until he has actually had his office for at least six months.” Beck assumed the office of county commissioner effective January 13. Williams and Baird were sworn into office as commissioners effective January 8, 1985. Circulation of the two recall petitions officially began on Tuesday. Any number of petitions can be circulated, but each signer must add to his signature the date of his signing the petition and place of residence, giving a street address, if any. Only one signature by each registered elector is considered valid on the petition. The person(s) circulating the recall must subscribe to an oath on the sheet that the signatures are genuine. Judy Dornbrock, County Clerk & Recorder, said that the required number of signatures needed is approximately 360 signatures on each petition. A separate petition is required for Williams and another one for Baird. The Rocky Mountain News reported on January 12 that 20 recall petitions have been circulated in Colorado in the last year. Of those, eight were successful, six were pending, and seven failed.

Died: Louise “Pat” Apperson: Dr. Louise “Pat” Apperson of Apex died March 2, 1987 at Swedish Hospital in Englewood. She was 76 years old. Apperson was born November 4, 1910. She was a psychologist who devoted her private practice primarily to children. At the time of her death she retained some activity in her field, but was primarily retired. She had lived in Apex Valley for the last one and a half years, but owned property in Gilpin County for 25 years. A memorial service was held yesterday at the First Universalist Church in Denver. By request, her body was cremated. Apperson is survived by her sister, With Peck of Laguna Hills, California; her brother, Harold Behrens of Wheat Ridge; her foster children, Victoria Wagner and Michael Wagner; and two foster grandchildren, Phaedra and Alan Wagner of Seattle, Washington.

Died: John Joseph Hesselbine: John Joseph Hesselbine passed away at his home in Denver on February 26, 1987. He was 68 years old. Hesselbine was born August 29, 1918, in Denver. He graduated from East High School in Denver and from Holy Cross Abbey in Canyon City. He was in the U.S. Army during World War II. Jane Louise Von Wedel, his wife, preceded him in death. After the service, Hesselbine was a salesman for Liberty Trucks. He sold heavy equipment to Gilpin County. He later operated his own heavy equipment company. While being semi-retired he owned and managed Empire Bingo Company. Survivors include his daughter, Karen A. Keys of Jakarta, Indonesia, and Patricia Blake of Denver; his sister, Jane Hesselbine, of Denver; and five grandchildren. Chris Hesselbine, long-time resident of Gilpin County, was John Hesselbine’s grandfather. Mass of Christian Burial was held March 2, at Blessed Sacrament Roman Catholic Church in Denver. By his request, his body was donated to the University of Colorado School of Medicine.

60 years ago – March 8, 1957

Central City Nuggets

The outcome of the District 5, Class C State Basketball Tournament held in the Gilpin County High School Gymnasium last Friday and Saturday resulted as follows: Lyons defeated Nederland of the Championship trophy, 60-47; Gilpin defeated Breckenridge for the Consolation trophy, 73-35; Fairplay defeated Georgetown for the Third place trophy, 54-40. There were 328 adult paid admissions; 324 student admissions, total estimated attendance was well over 840 persons.

Pfc. Donald Miller, Co. A. 13 Inf. Reg., 8th Inf. Division, stationed at Ulm, Germany, was injured in an unfortunate accident during participating in an infiltration problem. He stepped on a land mine which exploded and injured his leg so badly it was amputated two inches below the knee. He is being hospitalized in Augsburg, Germany. Latest reports are that he is convalescing nicely. He is the son of Mrs. Rose Miller of this city. Andrew Erickson and Clyde Davenport are in the same company as Don. He will be flown back to the U.S. in the near future for further care and hospitalization, and after his recovery, if he so desires, will remain in the Army to be assigned office, or clerical work in the Quartermaster’s Corps. It was a most unfortunate accident and we extend our sympathies, and also our hopes that his convalescence will be rapid.

Mrs. Earl Quiller, who has been on the sick list, is improving, which is pleasing news to her many friends.

Mrs. Mona Robb and Mrs. Clifford Parsons, who have been vacationing in Phoenix, Arizona for the past month, returned last Friday evening in time to be greeted by a snow storm and cold weather. They report a most pleasant vacation.

Mr. and Mrs. Ben Wade of Long Beach, California, visited Mr. and Mrs. Braning while honeymooning in Colorado. Mr. and Mrs. Wade attended the World Ice Skating competition which was held at the Broadmoor Ice Palace and plan to visit many more places of interest while in Colorado. Ben lived here in Central City in 1947, and is a professional ice skater.

Funeral services were held Thursday, February 21, at Cheyenne, Wyoming, for Andrew Van Eman, who died in the hospital there several days previous. He was about 75 years of age, and had been a resident of Gilpin County many years being interested in many mining properties particularly between Black Hawk and Perigo. He is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Franklyn Stahl of Cheyenne, and other relatives.

Black Hawk Gold Dust

Mrs. Hansine Baker, who recently underwent surgery for a cataract on the eye, is staying with Mrs. Perl Neff until she is able to care for herself.

Mr. and Mrs. George Snyder and two sons and Mr. Gomer Sterling, of Ft. Collins, were Saturday guests at the Norman Blakes and other relatives. The Snyders have just returned from two weeks spent in putting up a cinder block building on their acreage near Phoenix, Arizona.

Mr. and Mrs. Robert Lehrer and daughter Sandra drove up from the valley Sunday with the intention of obtaining a few evergreens for their yard, but the snow flurries interrupted their plans.

Rev. and Mrs. McRostie were present at the 11:00 o’clock Sunday services at the Black Hawk Church and both gave interesting talks about their missionary work in Africa and also showed numerous curios made by the natives.

Mrs. Ella Strang fell on the ice in Central City last Saturday, breaking her wrist, cutting her lip and other bruises which needed a doctor’s attention. Mrs. Strang is staying with Mabel Kile while recuperating.

Mr. Avery Rich was here Sunday to move some of his furniture to his home in Loveland.

Mrs. Mary Plank is among those on the sick list, and is grateful to Mrs. Hennish for driving her to the doctor in Idaho Springs.

90 years ago – March 11, 1927

Chief Game Warden S.T. Harris of Russell Gulch arrested Mr. Ernest Braun of Starbuck, Colorado, on Tuesday, charged with having eight heads and hides of deer in his possession, for which he could produce no tag as having been killed lawfully and during the hunting season. At a preliminary hearing before the Justice of the Peace at Morrison, Mr. Braun plead guilty to the ownership of three of the heads, and was put under a $500 bond for appearance in Morrison yesterday for trial. The penalty for hunting in the Game Refuge is a fine of from $25 to $250, and possession of deer heads and hides on which no affidavit has been made as to having been killed lawfully is $100  for each deer, so venison becomes pretty expensive.

The spring automobile shows are a hard test for an auto owner’s vanity.

How to Make Cherry Pudding by Nellie Maxwell: Beat one egg, add one half-cupful of milk and one fourth cupful of sugar, one tablespoonful of melted butter, two teaspoonful’s of baking powder, one fourth of a teaspoonful of salt and one cupful of cherries; steam for an hour and a half. For the sauce add equal parts of whipped cream and cherry juice with sugar and almond extract to taste.

Died: Mrs. Cora Hinkle: The many friends of Mrs. max Hinkle were shocked to learn of her death, which occurred suddenly at 3 a.m. Wednesday, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. O.L. Preiss, friends of the family residing in North Denver. Mrs. Hinkle had been in poor health for several months, and a few weeks ago she went to the Presbyterian Hospital in Denver, where an operation was performed. Her condition became alarming, and her daughter, Miss Iowa Hinkle, was called to the city from Oak Creek, where she is a nurse at the Oak Creek Hospital. Mrs. Hinkle had recently been improving, and as she was believed to be out of danger she was moved on Tuesday to the Preiss home. A sudden relapse took place during the night, and she passed away with little warning. Miss Cora Hamilton was married Oct. 8, 1907, at Central City, Colorado, and in 1914 they moved to Steamboat Springs. Mr. Hinkle and his partner, Thomas Dunstone, purchased the tinning and plumbing business of J.E. Newlove. Mr. Hinkle later became the sole owner and in 1922 he disposed of the plumbing business and the family moved to a ranch 1.5 miles west of town. After a season there they left Routt County, going to Albuquerque, New Mexico, where they remained until last year when they returned. Mr. Hinkle had recently again become engaged in the plumbing business in Oak Creek, where he and his wife, with their eldest daughter, Miss Iowa, established their home. Another daughter, Miss Helen, resides in Denver.

120 years ago – March 12, 1897

William Prater, a miner working in the Old Kentucky Mine, had his left hand badly crushed by a falling rock in the mine on Thursday last. He is being attended to by Dr. Ashbaugh.

The Cripple Creek mail said that Mr. H.J. Teller, of that city, son of the Senator, is preparing a souvenir of his father’s almost unanimous re-election to the senate of the United States. He has sent a request to each member for a verbatim report of his remarks commanding the Senator’s nomination. He will have them published in a neat little volume.

A most fortunate accident happened in the shaft of the Hidden Treasure Mine, in Nevadaville, last week, which will be remembered by all parties concerned therewith. Four miners were ready to go down the shaft; two got in the bucket, and the other two rode on the rim of the bucket, holding themselves steady with their hands around the hoisting rope. When the bucket reached the 900 foot level, one of the men was missing. No sound of a falling body had been heard and the men came to the conclusion that the man had been caught by a nail or piece of timber in the shaft, and was liable to drop down the shaft any moment. Two men started climbing the ladders, and three hundred feet from the surface, they found the missing miner hanging head down and unable to move. The bucket was brought up to that point, and the two men soon had their companion out of danger. The miner’s jacket had caught on a nail which protruded from the bed plan, tearing off all the buttons except the to one, which held fast, and lifted him out of the bucket, and left him hanging in the shaft as when found. The man was uninjured, and after recovering from his fright and fear that the button or nail might give way any moment, to be followed by a drop of 600 feet, he was soon in condition to go to work again.

The Central City Baseball Club has been organized, with George Maloney as manager and secretary, Frank McGinnis, treasurer, and Wm. Stevens, captain. The team members were Maloney and Niccum, catchers; Simmons, Coughlin, and Knight, pitchers; Stevens, Rutherford, Workmeister, and Seymour, infielders; McGinnis, Lewis, Leidinged and Costello, outfielders.

The February output of the Hidden Treasure, Kansas, and Indiana mines, in Nevadaville, operated by the Gold Coin Mines Company, reached a total of $25,000, leaving a nice dividend for the stock holders.

At the Concrete Mine, a force of 50 men are now employed on the day and night shifts and daily shipments of between 40 and 50 tons to the mills and sampling works, both grades of ore giving satisfactory returns. The 1,200 foot levels are being extended east and west and are opening up nice bodies of mineral.

Died: In Nevadaville, March 8th, 1897, Charles Harris, aged 6 years.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button