Turning Back the Pages

30 years ago – January 30, 1987

On Monday, Central City workers were busy cleaning the gutter on Eureka Street. The overflow was complicated by packed snow and ice in the street and a water leak from High Street. Once the gutter, pathway, and street were cleared by the workers, drainage returned to normal. The sidewalk in front of City Hall and down the street in front of other businesses was a solid sheet of ice due to the backup. The water leak from High Street was expected to be repaired by Thursday.

Publisher’s Corner by William C. Russell, Jr.: Kudos to Dick Kreck for writing something recently concerning Central City that did not denigrate our community, and at the same time he proved that articles or statements concerning or mentioning Central City can be produced by the members of the Denver media without belittling, making fun of, or lying about us and our history. Thanks Dick, write some more like that, we will appreciate them.

Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Margaret A. Cozart, whose husband, Robert, is the son of Robert E. Cozart of Rollinsville, has re-enlisted for two years while serving with Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Washington.

Gary L. Hendricks of Gilpin County has graduated from Air Force basic training at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas. During the six weeks of training the airman studied the Air Force mission, organization and customs and received special training in human relations. In addition, airmen who complete the training earn credits toward an Associate’s degree through the community college of the Air Force.

Born: Bruce and Cathy Hartman of Apex Valley are proud to announce the birth of their daughter. Kimberlee Marie was born January 18, 1987, at Lutheran Hospital in Denver. She weighed seven pounds three ounces, and measured 20 inches in length. Kimberlee has one older sister, Jennifer. Jane Makes of Jamestown, New York, is the paternal grandmother. Maternal grandparents are Mr. and Mrs. Robert Whalen of Northglenn. Maternal great grandparents are Mr. and Mrs. Charles Whalen of Apex Valley.

Born: Bob and Peggy Barbeau of Forest Hills are proud to announce the birth of their first child, a boy. Robert James was born January 17, 1987, at Lutheran Hospital in Denver. He weighed eight pounds nine and one fourth ounces, and measured 22 inches in length. His maternal grandmother is Jane Neumann of Duluth, Montana. His paternal grandmother is Margaret Barbeau of Denver.

60 years ago – February 1, 1957

Central City Nuggets

Mrs. Inez Schmidt, who underwent surgery last week in St. Luke’s Hospital, in Denver, has rapidly recovered from her ordeal and left the hospital, but will spend another week recuperating with friends before returning home. Mrs. Edith Cart, Co. Sup’t of Schools is also convalescing in Denver and expects to be home next week.

Be sure to get your 1957 license plates and inspection tickets before February 4th, as the State Patrol may issue another form of ticket, which perhaps might be most embarrassing.

Roy Steers of Black Hawk who has been taking care of the tremendous business at Mac’s Pool Hall during the absence of “Curley,” is in Denver this week receiving treatment for an infection in one of his legs. We hope he returned soon, as he has challenged Bill Grenfell to a foot race on Main Street. During his absence, Jim Jones is taking care of the necessary wants of the customers, and we have observed that he is a better card player than Roy.

Black Hawk Gold Dust

Last Sunday guests at the Kenneth Brown ranch were Mrs. Perl Neff and her granddaughter Pearl Louise.

Miss Patricia Ward of Rollinsville spent the weekend here with Jere and Jeanie Collins.

Miss Betty Roof went to Salida Thursday to visit her parents. She returned on Monday.

Little Sandra, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bill Spellman, accidentally burned her leg recently when she fell on a floor furnace, and had to have medical treatment.

While working at a mine in Virginia Canyon, Harold Burrows had the misfortune to lose the end of a finger when his hand was caught between a mine car and chute.

Mrs. Lucille Ramstetter is taking a year’s leave of absence from her job as supervisor of a hospital in San Francisco, and will spend that time attending the University in that city. Lucille is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Nicholls of Idaho Springs.

90 years ago – February 4, 1927

A little kindness simply has to go a long way because the supply is so short.

How to Make Coconut Cream Pie by Nellie Maxwell: Take two and one half cupful’s of milk, three fourths cupful of sugar, two thirds cupful of salt, two eggs, one half teaspoonful of orange extract, one cupful of coconut, and two tablespoonful’s of powdered sugar. Prepare the custard; cook twenty minutes in a double boiler, adding the egg yolks two minutes before the twenty minutes are up. Pour into a baked pastry shell and sprinkle the coconut over the top. Place in the oven to brown lightly after covering with the beaten whites and sugar.

Died: Ada Travartha Nichols: Mrs. Ada T. Nichols, longtime Colorado resident, died in St. Luke’s Hospital in Denver Tuesday of complications following a major operation. She was 57 years old. Mrs. Nichols, an ardent worker in Warren Memorial Church, came to Denver from Cripple Creek more than twenty years go. She was born in Central City, and her husband, John H. Nichols, Pioneer Mining superintendent, died here a year ago. Surviving are her daughter, Mrs. Annette Nichols Svantesson, and a son, Irving H. Nichols, both of 1066 Clarkson Street, with whom she was living at the time of her death. The funeral will be held from Rogers’ Chapel Monday afternoon at 2 o’clock. Burial will be in Fairmount Cemetery. Deceased, with her parents, resided for years at Mountain City, and thirty years ago, when her husband, John H. Nichols was sheriff of Gilpin County, they resided in this city.

Died: Mrs. Carmody. Mrs. Cecilia Carmody, daughter of William F. Dillon, a Colorado pioneer of Gilpin County, in 1859, died in Denver on Saturday evening last. Deceased was born in this city and is survived by a husband, Stephen J. Carmody; a son, William F. Shurbet; a daughter, Mrs. Lester Thornbrugh, and two sisters, Mrs. K. Mahoney and Mrs. Mary Byers, of Denver.

120 years ago – February 5, 1897

During the month of January there were shipped from the Black Hawk depot on the Gulf road to the smelters in Denver and elsewhere, 335 carloads of ore aggregating 5,360 tons, which represents the mineral product of the county for that month, shipped outside for treatment. In comparison with the same month last year, these figures show an increase of 144 carloads, or 2,304 tons, an increase of fully 75 percent.

Sinking is being carried on at the Ivanhoe Mine, on the westerly portion of Quartz Hill, with three shifts of miners, and the shaft has reached a depth of 1,010 feet, and some fine mineral has been opened up in the shaft. When a depth of 1,050 feet is reached sinking will be stopped and drifts started on both sides of the shaft.

Fred and Charley Bolsinger returned from Denver on Monday evening where they had gone to meet their brother, Henry, on his return from Chicago, and going to Pueblo for further treatments.

Mrs. J.I. Perkins, wife of Superintendent Perkins of the San Juan and other mines, is said to be recovering nicely from injuries sustained when she was thrown out of a buggy a couple of months ago.

Misses George Richards of Nevadaville, has been visiting her aunt, Mrs. R. B. Williams of this city during the past week.

Mr. R.B. Williams, of the Williams Livery Company, was transacting business in Denver during the week.

Agent R.R. Rodda, of the Colorado Telephone Company, says that an average of 250 calls are made daily through the local office.

Mrs. W.W. Huntington, of Gilman, Eagle County, who had been visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Stroehle, of Black Hawk, returned home on Tuesday last.

Arthur Teats, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Teats, of this city, was thrown from a donkey last Saturday afternoon, breaking his right leg as the result of the fall. This leg has been practically useless to the boy ever since he was a little child and, as it had been broken once before, it was decided that amputation was necessary. The operation was successfully performed by Dr. Ashbaugh, Asquith, and Dr. Lundvick.

Born: In Central City, January 29th, 1897, to the wife of Sherman Harvey, a daughter.

Born: In Central City, January 29th, 1897, to the wife of Thomas Bartel, a daughter.

Died: At Yankee Hill, January 28th, 1897, William B. Harper, aged 54 years.

Died: In Black Hawk, January 31st, 1897, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Kruse, aged 8 months.

Died: In Central City, February 3rd, 1897, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. Ontis, aged 18 months.

Died: In Central City, February 2nd, 1897, Mrs. William Bennallack, aged 52 years.

146 years ago – February 4, 1872

From the Daily Central City Register.

  Arrival of the Grand Duke Alexander and suite, General Sheridan and staff: Dear Register – Yesterday you were telegraphed some of the particulars attending the arrival of the Grand Duke and suite, in this city. The Denver Pacific train having been detained at Cheyenne, and enroute hither, General Sheridan and staff, whose Pullman-car was unfortunate enough to get off the Union Pacific track, and was not replaced until sometime after the Ducal cars were ready to proceed, did not reach here until near eight o’clock. The little hero and his comrades in blue were made welcome at the depot, and subsequently driven to Sergeant’s Hotel, where they became the guests of Colonel Archer. The stately Russian being fatigued, and per consequence in need of rest, received no visitors publicly, and so the dense throng assembled to do him honor, after having gratified their curiosity by a long stare at his fine face and stalwart figure, melted away and left him to the meditations of his private apartments. At eleven o’clock this morning, a company made up of Federal officials called on General Sheridan at his hotel, tendering their congratulations, and extending a cordial welcome on this, his second visit to the Territory. The delegation found him looking somewhat older, more portly, and yet care-worn about the face, than when he was here with Grant and Sherman in 1868, yet still the same genial, sprightly, gentleman which characterizes neither age nor care seem able to overcome. At one o’clock today, the American House was hemmed in by a large concourse of people, who went there to see the Ducal party leave the place at the head of a long line of carriages, provided to take it about the city. The Committee of Arrangements made up the program and were there to execute it. All, or nearly all, the Federal officers of the Territory, excepting your correspondent, and members of the press, excepting also the representative of the Register, were invited by this committee of arrangements and had prominent places in the cavalcade. There seemed to be a studious effort on the part of the management to make me a marked exception. Not being a constitutional bohemian, and having retained a large portion of inherited self-respect, I was not disposed to intrude myself here it was so evident I was not wanted, and so I shall not be able to send you the “interesting particulars” of the Royal Ride. The party will visit Golden and the Clear Creek canyon tomorrow, leaving for the West again the same evening.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button