Turning Back the Pages

30 years ago – January 23, 1987

Richard Benavidez was hired as the new police officer for the City of Central on Tuesday. Benavidez graduated from the Arapahoe Community College Police Academy on December 19. He is a native Coloradoan. His father and uncle are on the police force in Denver. Benavidez served in the U.S. Marine Corp from July 1983 until July 1986. He was last stationed at Camp Pendleton in California. He obtained the rank of Lance Corporal. While in the service he traveled extensively, primarily in the Far East. Benavidez said that he is looking forward to moving and working in the City of Central. Welcome to Central City!

After months, possibly years, of fundraisers, saving money, and waiting for a new fire truck, the day finally arrived on January 17. The Central City volunteer fire fighters were, needless to say, delighted with the new addition. Members of the fire department and the Central City Volunteer Fire Department officers decided to ride the brand new, all white, truck through the city Saturday, with sirens roaring and the horn soundings, so residents of Central were well aware of the new arrival. The new truck was purchased by the city, for a total of $84,870. It will be paid off over the next seven years. Fire Chief Gary Allen has reportedly said that the maneuvering capabilities are excellent.

Ed Walsh has been selected for January’s Gilpin County School Employee Appreciation Spotlight. “Ed has shown sincere dedication towards making Gilpin a quality environment. His regular employment assignment is in transportation, but he is often seen helping in the school kitchen, filling in as a substitute teacher, serving on the Work Coop Board, special student program involvement, and much more. He is a man of many hats. Ed always welcomes assignments and tasks with a pleasant, positive attitude. He is well known for his sense of humor. Ed originates from New York (listen to him talk), and plans to watch the upcoming Super Bowl alone so he can “live” and support his Giants team. Congratulations Ed Walsh!

Charles Slater was busily shoveling snow away from the sidewalks in Central City this week. The cold temperatures throughout the week, plus the high winds, made the task of shoveling snow more similar to shoveling ice. Working up a sweat, which is usually common, was not very likely, especially on Tuesday.

Alan Baird, Gilpin County Commissioner, was in a single car automobile accident on Highway 46, near Forest Hills, on January 21 slightly before 6:00 a.m. Baird reportedly was not injured in the accident.

Sheriff’s Report: A resident of Wedgewood Wilderness reported a phone problem. The resident tried to make an emergency phone call, but another person on the party line refused to surrender the line. Refusal to let a person make an emergency phone call is against the law.

60 years ago – January 25, 1957

By A.F. Mayham: Uncle Ed has a lot of time on his hands during the hibernating seasons, but keeps busy just to ward off disaster and prevent bursting and drying up. He is of the opinion that a man who is corrupted by ambition has had the evil in him disinterred and all the vanity of the ages can never change the character or make contraries like a lie and the truth compatible. There are none more abusive to others than they that He must open to it themselves. And during the cold weather long-handled underwear comes in handy.

Central City Nuggets:

Justin A Gargan, of Idaho Springs, has been named Deputy District Attorney for this District, by District Attorney Barny O’Kane, of the first judicial district, and will serve in the Clear Creek and Gilpin counties. This appointment completes the staff of aides for O’Kane. Mr. Gargan has been an attorney in Idaho Springs since 1947, is well-liked, and will service most efficiently in his new office.

A number of our fair sex have been hospitalized during the past two weeks, being Mrs. Ann Eustice, who returned Saturday from a stay in St. Luke’s Hospital; Mrs. Edith Carter, Co. Sup’t of Schools, who expects to return home the first of next week; Mrs. Inez Schmidt, who underwent surgery at St. Luke’s, Tuesday morning; and Mrs. Paul Beamer, who has returned home. We are pleased to say that all are improving from various ordeals.

Mr. and Mrs. Earl Quiller were in Denver, Monday; Annie to visit friends and Earl to visit a clinic for a complete examination. Earl says that he is feeling quite pert now, even though the doctors have forbidden smoking, rich foods, Scotch, and stuff like that there, yes, and even flirting with the fair sex.

Died: Fred H. Thompson, life member of the Clear Creek-Gilpin Mining Association and the only surviving charter member of the Denver Mining Club, passed away quietly at his home in Denver Tuesday morning, aged 96. The Mining Club was organized some 54 years ago in the old Mining Exchange building, when mining was in its heyday and Fred rarely missed a meeting even up to the time of his demise. The Club meets every Wednesday noon in the Denver Dry Goods Tea room and Fred’s record of attendance there was 52 years. His only ailment was failing eyesight.

Black Hawk Gold Dust:

A dynamite explosion injured two local men at East Portal last Wednesday night, while working at the water tunnel. The men, Nig Train and his friend “Big Veetz” were cut in the face and neck when the explosion occurred, and it was thought they drilled into a missed hole while working under water, but they are recovering from the accident in a satisfactory manner.

Mr. and Mrs. Carol barker, Mrs. Emma Eccker, and Miss Kathryn drove to Fort Collins Sunday where they enjoyed a dinner with Mr. and Mrs. Howard Knoll.

Mrs. Wilma Douglas of Denver was a Sunday visitor at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ben Purdy.

The congregation of the Black Hawk Church were privileged to hear a vocal solo by Mrs. Kenneth Hoot last Sunday. She was accompanied by Al Lagerquist on the piano.

Died: Mrs. Lydia Osborne, better known as Mrs. Samuel Osborne, passed away recently at the Sands Home. She was 103 years of age and formerly lived in Black Hawk in the old Lace House. Two sons, Harry and Richard Osborne, and Mr. and Mrs. Turley came from California for the funeral. Before they returned they came up for a visit and to talk over old times with Daisie and Otto Blake.

Died: Word was received of the death of D.D. Hambly at Eugene, Oregon, on Jan. 3rd. He was a former resident of this community and was almost 90 years old. He is survived by his wife.

90 years ago – January 28, 1927

Thinking you know is not half so important as knowing you think.

A disastrous fire in Rollinsville on Tuesday morning, destroyed the old mill building of the Perigo Mines Company, the hotel, and several other buildings, besides a half-dozen autos, which were stored in the mill building, and only through heroic efforts by the citizens, were the balance of the buildings of the town saved. The fire caught in the roof of the mill building, supposedly from a passing engine on the Moffat Railroad, and with a strong west wind blowing, the building was soon in flames, with no hopes of saving any portion of it. On the opposite side of the street was located Peter Peterson’s building, which was soon in flames as well, and beside that the old hotel of 50 rooms, which was also soon on fire. The next building in range was the old office of the Perigo Mines Company, and to stop the flames in that direction, the citizens decided to blow up the building with dynamite, which was done, and the flames checked. A bucket brigade was formed and by the use of water poured on the roofs of the building on the opposite side of the street, which were commencing to smoke from the heat, those buildings were saved. The blast used to wreck the Perigo building shattered all the windows in the Redman building, as well as those in the adjoining buildings, and considerable damage resulted. The barn of Mr. Gardner, located below the Peterson building, was also destroyed. The high winds carried burning shingles into the timber on the mountain sides, and a half dozen fires were started, but the bucket brigade lined up from the creek, soon had the flames under control, and the forest service in Denver were notified of the danger and representatives came up and took charge of that source of danger from a forest fire. The Moffat officials sent up an engine with a tank of water, but it did not arrive until after the buildings had been consumed. John Stroehle of Black Hawk, who has the contract for the erection of the steel bridge across the creek at Rollinsville, was on the ground and said he passed the mill building only a few minutes after the passing of the Moffat train; in fact he had stopped at the railroad crossing to let the train pass when the building burst into flames. He and his force of men did everything possible to check the flames and assisted in the bucket brigade and helped in removing the furniture from the hotel. The old mill building was erected by John Q.A. Rollins, in the early 70’s, who also built the hotel in which he resided with his family for many years, and both buildings were among the first to be built in the city. The mill building was being used as a garage, and in which were stored a half dozen autos, owned by residents, all of which were destroyed. Mr. Stroehle also used the building for storage of tools used in the construction of the bridge, all of which were also consumed by the flames. The loss is estimated at $25,000, with little, if any, insurance.

How to Make Milk Soup by Nellie Maxwell: Toast thin slices of bread until they are crisp and brown. Bring to the boiling point one quart of milk, adding a pinch of salt and sugar. Beat the yolks of four eggs with a little water. Remove the milk from the fire and add the eggs; stir a moment, then turn the mixture over the bread in the soup tureen.

Born: In Black Hawk, January 24th, 1927, to the wife of George White, twin daughters.

Died: Dr. James M. Hannahs, who was fatally burned when his clothing, saturated with medical alcohol, caught fire from a gas heater jet in his office in the Republic building on Denver, Tuesday, Jan. 18, died at St. Luke’s Hospital on Wednesday morning. He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Mabel Hannahs, an invalid for eight years, a daughter, Margaret, his mother, a sister, Mrs. J.H. Spicer, and other relatives.

120 years ago – January 29, 1897

George Maloney was organizing a baseball team, to play here during the coming summer.

A force of 21 men are employed at the Klein-German property and shipments of 200 tons of ore are being sent to the Rocky Mountain concentrator for treatment. The upraise from the Bobtail tunnel to connect with the bottom level from the Klein-German shaft has been finished, a distance of 180 feet having been driven, and now all of the ore from the property is being taken out through the Bobtail tunnel.

At the Gregory-Bobtail incline, the pumps are in steady operation. Nothing new has been learned during the past week, and John Loughran is still in charge, awaiting the arrival of manager Dickey from the east.

The pumps at the Buell Mine are doing good service in lowering the water and are throwing 200 gallons per minute. The water is now down to the 350-foot level, having been lowered 160 feet in the past two weeks and if present progress continues it is probable that the mine will be free of water in another month.

John C. McShane was among the passengers returning from Denver on Tuesday evening’s train.

Mr. Oscar Williams, of the Pioneer Livery Stables of this city, visited Denver last Monday afternoon, returning on Wednesday.

Wm. Harvey has a force of men grading and putting in cribbing on the lower side of Casey Avenue, where he intends to build a terrace of six houses.

Mr. Edward Trezise, a one time business man of this city, but of late a resident near Boulder, met with an accident at that place Monday morning, by falling from a load of hay and striking his head. His injuries are reported painful, but not considered serious.

Born: In Central City, January 24th, 1897, to the wife of Peter Stangler, a son.

Born: In Mountain City, January 22nd, 1897, to the wife of Edward Colbert, a son.

Born: In Black Hawk, January 25th, 1897, to the wife of James Tierney, a daughter.

Died: At Yankee Hill, January 26th, 1897, of pneumonia, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C.S. Hawk, aged 3 months.

Died: In Denver, January 22nd, 1897, Mrs. Mary Bovee, mother of A.G. Rhoads, Halsey Rhoads, Ralph Rhoads, Mrs. Laura H. Berry, Theresa Rhoads, and Mrs. Mary Anson.

Died: Wm. Thomas, of Lafayette, Colorado, who was warming giant powder in his cabin, preparatory to blasting, was instantly killed by the powder exploding. Charles Fluke, of Loveland, who was standing near him at the time, was badly injured.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button