Turning Back the Pages

• Bookmarks: 2

30 years ago – January 9, 1987

Children at Gilpin County RE-1 returned to school this week after being on Christmas vacation for two weeks. Many of the kids were pleased to be back in school and others were not too sure. Jimmy Nelson, a fourth grader, said that he was “happy” to be back in school. Terry Hulle, a six grader, said that “school is more subtle and weird.” Sam Austin, also in the sixth grade, said that he liked being back in school with his friends. Other students were not quite as pleased. One student said that school is boring and stupid. A couple of students agreed that it was “sort of” all right.

Dick Allen pleaded no contest to furnishing alcohol to a minor, a second class misdemeanor, in Gilpin County Court on Tuesday. Allen was accused of furnishing alcohol to Daren Hayes, a 16 year old minor, in August. Hayes was fatally injured in a single car accident the same day he was reportedly given alcohol. Allen was originally fined $500 and sentenced to six months in jail for the offense. Judge Andrew J. Krodshen suspended $400 of the fine, making it $100, and suspended the jail sentence provided that Allen complete one year of unsupervised probation and not have any criminal offenses during that time period. He is additionally required to complete 40 hours of community service. Allen is a resident of Central City and was recently elected and sworn in as an alderman of the Central City Council.

Died: John Johnson. John Johnson passed away at Bella Vita Towers in Denver on December 19, 1987. He was 101 years old. Johnson was born February 19, 1885, in Norway. He and his family moved to the United States when he was two years old. Edward C. Johnson, one of his sons, operated Johnson’s Smorgasbord and the Gold Coin Saloon in Central City. John was known as a good arm wrestler when he was in his eighties. John was a farmer and a sheriff in Lincoln County in the 1930s. He is survived by his son Edward and five other children, Betty J. Lohmeier of Limon, Elmer A. and Borghill J. Robinson of Denver, Dorothy M. Willis and Joffre M. Johnson of Lakewood; two sisters, Marie Jensen of Colorado Springs, and Cecelia Rorrer of Denver; 15 grandchildren; 24 great grandchildren, and a great-great-grandchild. Services were held in Denver at Olinger Mortuary. Interment was in Crown Hill.

Died: Dorothy Severance: Dorothy Elizabeth Severance passed away at Boulder Community Hospital on January 4, 1987. She was 88 years old. Severance was born on September 14, 1898, in St. Louis, Missouri, to Charles Augustus and Ottilie Joelle Smith. She married Horace “Skip” Severance. He preceded her in death. Dorothy was a resident of Rollinsville for 55 years. She and her husband operated the Severance Lodge. She is survived by her daughter, Dottie Lu Baber of Spokane, Washington, two grandchildren and two great grandchildren. There were not any services held by request of the family. Her body was cremated.

60 years ago – January 11, 1957

Central City Nuggets:

The Christmas tree at the corner of Main, Lawrence and Eureka Streets, which has emblazoned its lights and beauty to everyone, both visitors and residents alike, was taken down Saturday by members of the Elks Lodge, who also erected it, and it is now something of the past.

George McClure, a Senior at the State University at Boulder, who has been spending the Christmas vacation here with his parents and numerous friends, as well as using his talents in helping out with the necessary requisites of publishing a newspaper, returned Tuesday to Boulder.

Mrs. Wm. McDowell left the first of the week for Florida, due to the illness of her mother, and expects to be absent for several weeks.

Clifford I. Parsons was a Denver visitor Tuesday and visited the Veteran’s Hospital for a check-up. They pronounced him fit and able and in a fit condition to handle the intricate details incident to the work as Clerk of the County Court. We also learn from the grapevine that he may also assume the duties of an Alderman for the City of Central, taking the place of Harold Marks, who has tendered his resignation, as he is now a resident of Denver. Well, anyway, Cliff will make an excellent and efficient officer in both positions.

Mrs. Ann Eustice, who has been in St. Luke’s Hospital for the past ten days, is recovering nicely from treatment, and expects to be home within a short time, which is pleasing news to her many friends.

Last Saturday night the wind velocity reached untold heights, up to more than a million miles an hour, more or less, but it seemed to be the strongest wind, at times, experienced here. No particular damage resulted however, but everything that was not nailed down or fastened securely, was picked up by the gentle zephyrs and deposited in our sister town of Black Hawk. It was similar to other wind storms, wherein we had sunlight at midnight, as the sun could not cope with this strong wind, and could not wend its way to the West, and thus remained stationary. Maybe this comparison is exaggerated, and odious, but it seems almost impossible that Old Sol could negotiate its way in face of such a difficulty. Sunday night, Monday and Tuesday, more than six inches of snow fell, making roads hazardous and slippery, and we are now hoping for a Chinook wind to rid the landscape of the “beautiful” and pile it in drifts in the various water sheds for the necessary H2o during the coming summer months. So-o-o, “It is an ill wind that does no good.”

Died: Ray Wm. Bennett: Died in the Soldier’s and Sailor’s House in Monte Vista, last Saturday, where he has been a patient for the past several months. He was 66 years of age. He was in the Navy during the First World War and has been a resident of Black Hawk since 1952. He is survived by a sister in California, and several other relatives living in Denver. He was a member of the local American Legion Post, of this city, under whose auspices funeral services were conducted at Dory Hill Cemetery, Wednesday afternoon.

90 years ago – January 14, 1927

The case of Mrs. Catherine Trilling, charged with the murder of her husband in Denver on Thanksgiving Day, which has occupied the attention of one of the courts there for the past week, was brought to a close by the jury returning a verdict of “not guilty.”

Mr. and Mrs. Charles Gage returned Monday evening from a five weeks visit in Chicago and other eastern cities.

Attorney Leroy J. Williams came up from Denver Tuesday evening on professional business, returning Thursday morning.

Verner Haine came up from Denver Saturday evening to spend the Sabbath here, and was tendered a surprise party at the K. of P. Hall by his numerous friends, where dancing, games and refreshments were the chief features.

  1. H. Lake returned Tuesday evening from a short business visit in the Queen City.

Thomas Stribley left Wednesday for Great Falls, Montana, where he will make his home with his daughter, Mrs. Willis Wolfe.

James R. Rule motored up from Denver Tuesday for the purpose of taking down a load of miscellaneous articles, leaving Wednesday afternoon.

How to Make Mock Sherbet: by Nellie Maxwell: Cook one-half cupful of minute tapioca, one fourth teaspoonful of salt, one cupful of sugar, and two cups of boiling water until the tapioca is clear, using a double boiler. Add the juice of two lemons and the yellow grated rind of one five minutes before taking from the fire. Pour the mixture on a platter, which has been dipped in cold water. As soon as the edges begin to jelly add two stiffly beaten egg whites. Beat until light and foamy. Serve very cold in sherbet cups topped with whipped cream.

Died: In Denver, January 11th, 1927, Frank Strausser, formerly of Black Hawk, aged 45 years. Mr. Strausser was taken to Denver a week ago, suffering from a severe case of consumption, and apparently was improving by the change, but it was only temporary. He had been a resident of Black Hawk the greater portion of his years, working in the mines, where he probably contracted the disease that caused his death. His remains were brought up from Denver Wednesday evening to be buried in the Catholic cemetery in this city.

120 years ago – January 15, 1897

A force of 90 men are working in the Fiske Mine on Bobtail Hill, of which number 80 are tributes, who are working ground above the 800 foot level, and all are doing well in producing ore of good grade. Day and night shifts are constantly employed and enough ore is hoisted daily to keep 50 stamps constantly employed, besides a good grade of smelting material, which is piled up in the shaft house until carload lots can be shipped to the smelter. The water is done below the 800 foot level, and remains stationary, neither raising nor decreasing.

The new gun metal pump for the Buell Mine has arrived and has been placed in operation, and is throwing 200 gallons of water per minute to the surface.

Gotlieb Steinle, a former resident of Black Hawk, was killed near Leadville on Sunday last, while leading a herd of horses. The animals became frightened and ran away, dragging Mr. Steinle for several miles, his injuries causing his death that evening. His remains were sent to Black Hawk and the funeral took place on Wednesday.

Born: In Central City, January 12th, 1897, to the wife of Frederick Wenzel, a son.

Born: In Central City, January 11th, 1897, to the wife of H.H. Lake, a son.

Born: In Black Hawk, January 8th, 1897, to the wife of Baptiste Slankini, a son.

Married: In Central City, January 11th, 1897, Rev. A.E. Clay officiating, Mr. James Bawden to Mrs. Sadie Lidstone.

Died: In Black Hawk, January 10th, 1897, Wm. Quiller, aged 81 years.

Died: In Central City, January 7th, 1897, John Stevens, aged 52 years.

Died: In Nevadaville, January 7th, 1897, Mary, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Hill, aged 3 years and 7 months.

Died: In Central City, January 8th, 1897, Thomas Easthorne, aged 61 years.

146 years ago – From the Daily Central City Register, January 10, 1872

Union services of great interest and power have been held in the Methodist Church of this place, during the past week. The exercises have been mainly conducted by the Pastor, the Rev. Mr. Chase, assisted by such brethren as are convenient to the place of worship. The features of this meeting are great earnestness, deep feeling, and decided success. Indeed the scenes which we have witnessed remind us very much of the revivals which our fathers told us of, and also of some which we have ourselves witnessed. The program for today both here and in Black Hawk, promises a day of interest such as we have not often seen; and it is our sincere desire that it will not disappoint expectation. From present prospects we should infer that the religious character of our community is changing fast for the better; and should harmony and order prevail, we do not doubt by that soon we will have a moral atmosphere about us, healthful and salutary as the one which we left behind us in our far off homes.

2 recommended
bookmark icon