Turning Back the Pages

30 years ago – December 19, 1986

The Christmas program performed by students at the Gilpin County School on Tuesday evening was well attended by parents, relatives, county residents and friends. The concert was held in the school auditorium. It was packed to capacity, including the seats arranged on the main floor and the bleachers. The parking lot outside of the school was equally as crowded. Several people ended up parking their cars along Highway 119 to attend the performance. Several classes sang both traditional Christmas carols such as Jingle Bells and Silent Night, as well as other Christmas songs. After the intermission, the beginning, advanced, and concert bands performed. A violin duet played three songs including The First Noel, What Child is This, and We Three Kings. Eleanor Lundgren was the accompanist for the event. The music director was Lon Huckaby. The theatre arts class presented a three act play that was entertaining to the audience during the concert program. Ruth Ann Anderle was the director for the theatre arts group of students.

Before the Christmas concert Tuesday evening, during the intermission, and after the performance, the PTO sponsored a Christmas bazaar at the Gilpin County School. The children were able to buy their Christmas presents at very reasonable prices. Many parents purchased a gift for their child because of the special occasion. As of Thursday, the amount of money the PTO collects was unknown. However, several people involved with the bazaar said that it was successful.

Publisher’s Corner: By William C. Russell, Jr.: The best news lately is that Gossard is no longer kingpin of the executive committee, Central City Opera House Association. Whether he stepped down voluntarily, by request, or for some other reason (such as selling the train without consulting the people), the Opera House Association and Central City are certainly better off without his imperious presence.

Letters to Santa:

Santa Claus, Remember my Mom and please get my dad goose and duck calls and my mom a china set and my grandpa a goose call and a duck call and my grandma a set of white goose plates and glasses. What I want is a getoblaster, a davidson or a riceburer, duster, or fish-suit. Singed, Shawn Brown-Wacha, 3rd Grade, Gilpin County School.

Dear Santa, I am being good but I sometimes I get in trouble. I hope that you give me a present. I want a Hawaii doll. Tell me if Rudolph the nose so brite make the way so bright. Signed, Liana Steadman, 3rd Grade, Gilpin County School.

Dear Santa, I have ben ok. And my name is Adrien Fonseca. And I’m in 2 grade. And I want a nice Christmas for Christmas. Love Adrien! Signed, Adrien Fonseca, 2nd Grade, Gilpin County School.

Dear Santa Claus, I want a kitten and glitter to pant my face, a horen to put on my bike. The Barbie rockers and stage, a real camera and film a gold drees and Barbie fashions and rockers Van that’s all. Love, Tish Koether, 3rd Grade, Gilpin County School.

Dear Santa, I would like a bike and some Laser tag toys. And a sled. Thank you from John I hope you and Rudolph get along. And have a good Christmas. Signed, John Mason, 3rd Grade, Gilpin County School.

From the Family of Daniel T. Bartkowiak: The family of Daniel T. Bartkowiak wish to express their gratitude for all of the help and kindness they have received. A special thank you to Fran Etzkorn, who was there when we needed her so much and all of Danny’s friends that are too numerous to list here. “He left an imprint on our hearts, and will not be forgotten.” A memorial fund has been set up for Danny. Please direct all donations to Gilpin County Search and Rescue.

60 years ago – December 21, 1956

Black Hawk News:

Mr. and Mrs. George Leyen of Rollinsville were visiting friends here last Saturday.

Mrs. Lettie Gray and Mrs. Emma Eccker were in Ft. Collins Monday, where they called on Mr. and Mrs. Howard Knoll and the Milton Etter family.

A group of young people from the Black Hawk Church will sing Christmas Carols around town Saturday night and later gather at the church for hot chocolate.

Mr. G.R. Gibson received word Sunday of the death of his father at North Platte, Nebraska, and left immediately for that place.

Mr. “Nig” Traen, who works the graveyard shift at the water tunnel, at East Portal, was in town Friday. He plans to spend Christmas in California.

Roy Berglund and three friends were up Sunday for Christmas trees in the Hughesville area, where Roy owns property.

Mrs. Esther Brockman, of Raton, New Mexico, had a bad accident recently when she fell and fractured her hip, and is now in a hospital. Her many friends here wish her a speedy recovery.

Andy Eccker called on Jack Turner in Denver last week and said Jack seemed quite cheerful in spite of losing a leg, and expects to be home after the holidays.

Russell Pannings:

Almost the only visitors these days are people getting Christmas trees. It is too bad that they do not use a little care in selecting a tree. There are plenty of pretty trees growing where a little thinning out would help. Too many aren’t willing to take that trouble. Twenty trees whose tops have been cut off have been found between Russell and Central. That is, close to the road. There are probably many more.

Margaret Res came up on Saturday to show off her car. Mrs. Nafsinger and Mary Best came too, and were supper guests at the Rest home.

The Johnsons came up Sunday afternoon.

Rollinsville Amalgam:

The Bill Beards have returned from a short vacation to Iowa.

Mr. and Mrs. John Chase and Jimmy spent last weekend at the home of Lyle Germans in Morrison. Mrs. Garman is the Chases’ daughter.

Captain Ozie Waters and Darlene were among the entertainers at a special Lakewood Chamber of Commerce dinner at the Red Door Supper Club in Lakewood a week ago Tuesday.

The Bible School staff, Mr. and Mrs. New, Mrs. Carlson, Mrs. Harris, and Mrs. Pardi of Boulder brought up Christmas treats in the form of filled stockings for the school children Monday.

Dolores Cieloha cut her thumb quite badly with an axe. The cut is healing now, but for a time it was painful.

90 years ago – December 24, 1926

“The Family Upstairs,” in six reels and a Fox News reel will be the moving picture program at the Opera House Saturday evening, December 25th.

There was considerable commotion on the streets of Central on Thursday evening of last week, when announcement was made that there was a fire in Nevadaville, and that help was wanted to put out the fire and keep it from spreading. Autos were soon on the way to the “Ghost City,” with men to render aid and it was soon ascertained that the building in flames was the Frank Sparks residence, just below the dumb of the Hubert Mine. The building has been occupied by a Mr. Ramage, who was working on the night shift at the Concrete Mine, who lost all of his belongings, as well as a supply of groceries which had been delivered that day. The fire was undoubtedly caused by hot ashes that had been dumped during the day. The building was a total loss, with no insurance. It was fortunate that there was no heavy wind blowing at the time, of the result would have been disastrous to other buildings in that vicinity.

Berthoud Pass will be open to traffic this year later than ever before, C.E. Learned, highway engineer of the United States bureau of public roads, declared Monday. Lack of excessive snowfall and absence of high winds had enabled the force under Learned to keep the road clear with snowplows. In 1924 the pass was open to Dec. 18, the latest of any year to date. The longest period was established last year when Berthoud pass was open May 19 to Dec. 16. It was opened June 8, 1924, and June 10 this year. If the present season establishes a new mark Berthoud pass will have to remain clear until Jan. 8. There is a path 30 feet wide at the crest of the pass, where the snow is five to six inches deep. At other points the channel is 13 to 18 feet broad.

Died: In Denver, at the home of his brother, Eugene, December 21, 1926, Antone Cessario, aged 63 years. Last summer Mr. Cessario suffered a light stroke of paralysis and went to Denver in the hope that a lower altitude would prove beneficial, but the hope was never realized, and a week or more ago he had another attack, which resulted in his death. Deceased had been a resident of the county for over 30 years, many of them engaged in ore hauling from the mines on Quartz Hill. About 25 years ago, he met with an accident at the Ophir-Burroughs Mine, when a quartz wagon got beyond his control, and he had his right leg crushed, necessitating its amputation, since which time he has managed to get around with the aid of a cork limb. Of late years, he conducted a pool hall in this city, and was interested in property at the East Portal of the Moffat Tunnel. A pleasant and agreeable gentleman, he left many old friends in Gilpin County who will be sorry to hear of his death. He is survived by his brother, Eugene, of Denver. Funeral services were held at the Young Mortuary, Denver, yesterday afternoon, interment in Crown Hill Cemetery.

120 years ago – December 18, 1896

A Novel Experience: Dr. Thrailkill of this city had an emergency call to the Forks of Creek on Friday night last, shortly before 12 o’clock, and with three section men mounted a push car at Black Hawk, and in 19 minutes from the time of starting he was landed at the Forks. A push car is one used by the section men for loaded ties and rails, and is pushed along the track to points desired. The car was supplied with a good brake and as the grade is very steep from Black Hawk down there was no trouble at all to get all the speed wanted. At the short curves and switches the brake was applied to keep the car under control, and when a level piece of track was reached the car fairly flew over the rails. The doctor said it was a novel experience, exciting as well as dangerous, the night being very dark, but having made the trip safely he was glad of the experience. The time made was less than half that required for the regular passenger train to make the run.

Words of Comfort: A Tribute to the Memory of Patrick Doyle, Who was Killed in the Kansas Mine: As we read of the death of our old time friend and neighbor in the columns of the Register-Call, it made our hearts heavy with sorrow for the bereaved family. We can appreciate their grief and anguish when the beloved one was snatched away by the grim angel of death—that invisible, mocking monster that with relentless cruelty crushes human hearts to powder. This gentleman was a typical mountaineer. Of a hale and independent nature, with a vein of humor and honesty, he was respected by all for his manly character and his devotion to truth and honesty. For the afflicted he always had sympathy and for the weak, charity. For him death had no sting, the grave no victory. As a friend, Mr. Doyle was considerate and just; as a husband, affectionate and faithful; as a father, loving and vigilant. While we know how vain are words to assuage the grief his family must feel at such a loss, yet we extend to them our sincere sympathy in the sad bereavement which has fallen upon them, and we would point to the unblemished record which our late friend has left in life. Although he has departed, in memory and love he yet lives. The immediate relatives who remain to grieve for him are his esteemed wife, two sons, John and James, his brother Thomas and sister, Mrs. Steadman, of Nevadaville, and a brother and sister in the east. “The damp sod pressing above his breast/ can never disturb that dreamless rest./ Only our hearts the weight must bear/ the darkness, the gloom, and the heavy care,/ until Time its throbbing pulse shall rust/ and it crumbles again to its native dust.” Signed, Mrs. J.J. Hayes, Gem, Idaho.

Born: In Black Hawk, December 4th, 1896, to the wife of News Nelson, a son.

Died: In Central City, December 5th, 1896, cancer of the throat, Walter, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Rule, aged 4 1/2 years.

Died: In Black Hawk, December 17th, 1896, of pneumonia, Rufus Frazer, aged 70 years.

Died: At the insane asylum, Pueblo, December 15th, 1896, Frank Magor, of this city, aged 45 years. A couple of weeks ago, Mr. Magor was taken with one of his insanity spells, but recovered sufficiently a couple of days later and was taken to Pueblo for treatment, dying as above stated. His body arrived on Wednesday noon, the funeral occurring on Thursday morning from the Catholic Church.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button