Turning Back the Pages

fatherchristmas_milda_01b30 years ago – December 12, 1986

The Weekly Register-Call wishes to extend an open welcome to the new reporter Amy Thomas. Thomas joins the staff on a part time basis. She will be reporting on various meetings each month. She majored in English literature and minored in romance languages at the University of Michigan. She has studied commercial art through the Jefferson County adult education program. Previously Thomas was the advertising copywriter in Detroit, Michigan, and also worked for the Michigan Daily at the University of Michigan. Presently, she is the substitute librarian and story hour librarian at the Gilpin County Library. She is a firefighter for the High Country Volunteer Fire Department. Thomas, her husband and two children reside in mid-county. She enjoys music, poetry, and art. Thomas is welcomed at the Register-Call and we hope that everyone will extend to her their cooperation.

In recognition of his tireless efforts on behalf of the City of Central, the Dorothy Lee Placer Park has been renamed the William C. Russell, Jr. Park. By unanimous decision of the Central City Aldermen, Rand Anderson, J.D. Carelli, and Bruce Schmalz, a resolution was adopted at their regular council meeting on December 3 to change the name of the park. The resolution states that: “Wm. C. Russell, Jr. has continuously served the City of Central in the office of Alderman from January 14, 1947 to January 2, 1963; and the office of Mayor from January 2, 1963 until January 7, 1987.” Additionally, he “has diligently performed as alderman and mayor and given unselfishly of his personal time and resources, thereby safeguarding the City of Central for a period of 40 years.”

Publisher’s Corner: By William C. Russel, Jr.: Many thanks to Angelo diBenedetto, Sid Squibb, the Gilpin County Historical Society, and the many friends who contributed funds and worked so diligently on retrieving the “Old 71” train, as well as obtaining a location in Black Hawk for display. Work is still progressing on the project and they are seeking further funding for restoration of this significant community asset. Best of luck and season’s greetings. Signed, William C. Russell, Jr.

Gustavus H. Center passed away at Porter Memorial Hospital in Denver on December 7, 1986. He was 97 years old. Center was born in Greeley, Colorado, on October 20, 1889. He attended school in Greeley prior to attending Colorado College in Colorado Springs. He became a teacher. His parents were G.A. and Margaret Center. In 1915 he married Berdi M. Center in Lamar, Colorado. She preceded him in death in 1975. In 1935 Gustavus returned to school at the Colorado Health Science Center. He became an occupational therapist and retired from the profession in the 1950s. The Centers owned and spent a great deal of time at their home on Eureka Street in Central City. He was the oldest charter member of the Gilpin County Historical Society and a member of the State Historical Society. Survivors include his son, Gustavus W. Center of Denver; his brother, Fred Center of Woodland, California; and two grandchildren, RayH. Center of Bozemann, Montana, and Sarah A. Center of Fort Collins. Graveside services were held yesterday, December 11, in Lamar. Contributions may be made to the charity of your choice.

60 years ago – December 14, 1956

A rather unique robbery happened Wednesday morning at Quiller Market & Grocery Store, wherein currency amounting to $256 was taken from a large wallet in the safe. Earl Quiller was alone in the store when a man and woman came in and the man asked where the restroom was, and being told by Earl, walked to the back of the store. In the meantime, the woman occupied Earl’s attention by purchasing some cheese, wieners, and bread, which she paid for. The man then came back and both left the store. The man was dressed in a tan suit and the woman in a light colored dress. Neither wore outer coats. The loss was not discovered for about an hour, when Earl had occasion to go back to the safe to obtain money, when the loss was discovered. On the other side of the billfold, several checks were enclosed and had been taken. He immediately contacted Sheriff Campbell, who, after obtaining particulars, notified the State Patrol and Sheriff’s offices for a pick-up on the couple. However, it is not known what kind of car they are driving, and it will be extremely difficult to pick them up merely by description of their clothing. From indications it would appear that the store had not been “cased,” but was done when the man noticed the open safe, and it could also have been possible that their original intention was to demand the money in the cash register, tie Earl up, and make their escape. It only took about a half minute to open the wallet, extract the currency, and nonchalantly stroll to the front of the store to join the woman. No theft insurance was carried so the money is a complete loss.

Central City News:

Conforming with the tradition of the past twenty years, the local lodge of Elks has again sponsored the erection of a large Christmas tree at the intersection of Main, Lawrence, and Eureka Streets. It is a beautiful tree, and decorated with myriads of colored lights makes a beautiful spectacle symbolical of the Yuletide season. The tree was erected last Sunday morning by the old standbys: Joe Menegatti, Norman Blake, Joe Thomas, Gordon Thomas and others, and their efforts are much appreciated.

Sheriff Floyd Campbell has appointed City Marshal E.J. Warriner as Under Sheriff, and in turn the City Council has designated Campbell as Assistant Marshal, which gives the Sheriff all authority within the City of Central.

Postmaster Max Robb has announced that the post office will be open until 5:00 p.m., instead of 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 15th, and Saturday, December 22nd, for convenience to the patrons during the Christmas holidays.

A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Smith, of Evergreen, at St. Anthony’s Hospital in Denver, December 8th, and has been named Penny Jo. Mrs. Smith is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jack Powers, of this city, who are happy grandparents.

A beautiful wedding ceremony was performed at the Methodist Church last Sunday afternoon by Rev. Larry Hawk, the pastor, uniting Bessie Paul and Harold N. Aldrich, both of Denver. The attendants were the young daughters of both the bride and groom and were identically dressed. After the ceremony the wedding party dined at the Grubstake Inn.

Black Hawk News:

Mr. Roy Bennett, who has been in a Soldier’s home at Home Lake, Colorado, returned to Black Hawk last Sunday. Paul Allander brought him up from Denver.

Mrs. James Chase returned to her home in Golden Sunday after spending several days here with her mother, Mrs. Jennie Zancanella.

Miss Elsie English and Miss Marie Harwood are preparing a musical Christmas program to be held at the school gym Friday evening. Parents and friends will gather at the same place at 6:30 p.m. for a pot luck supper.

Jerry Addyman has gone to Louisville, Nebraska, where he expects to be inducted into the U.S. Army. Jerry’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Roy Addyman are now living in Chase Gulch.

Martin Baker, having finished his boot training with the Marines will be home next Tuesday to spend the holidays with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Doyle Baker.

Mr. and Mrs. Thurman Leach are in charge of Jennie’s Inn while the owner Mrs. Zancanella is in Mayo’s Hospital having varicose veins treated.

Mr. and Mrs. M.F. Peterson of Smith Hill spent Sunday in Lakewood with their son Gene and wife to celebrate Gene’s birthday.

90 years ago – December 17, 1926

“Fig Leaves,” a special six reel production and a Fox News reel will be the pictures shown at the Opera House on Saturday evening, December 18th.

Born: In Black Hawk, December 10th, 1926, to the wife of John Burgland, a daughter.

Died: In Denver, at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. George Lewis, December 12th, 1926, Lloyd Hutchinson, aged 8 years. The mother of the young lad died in Black Hawk some five years ago, since which time he has been living with Mr. and Mrs. George Lewis, of Denver, his father now being located in Perco, Wyoming. The funeral took place in Denver on Wednesday.

Died: In Black Hawk, at the home of her son, Mr. A. M. Fairchild, December 15th, 1926, Mrs. E. K. Fairchild, aged 79 years. For the past six years deceased had been making her home with her son in Black Hawk where she enjoyed the comforts of a good home, and seemed perfectly contented with her lot in life and the many pleasures that accompanied it. Monday morning she complained of severe pains throughout her body, which were partly relieved by the medicine given her, but on Wednesday morning, she passed into a sleep, awakening in the new world. She is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Adalaide Pant, of Lowell, Michigan, and her son, Mr. A.M. Fairchild. The remains will be taken to Denver for burial in Fairmount Cemetery by the side of her husband, who died six years ago.

From Saturday’s Denver Post: Hal Sayre, 93 years old, resident of Colorado since 1859 and believed to be the last survivor of the historic Chivington massacre in Sand Creek, died Saturday morning at 7 o’clock at his home. True to the type of men who came to Colorado in the days when buffalo, elk, and wild animals romanced the plains and Indians held possession of the land, Sayre was intelligent and well equipped to enter into the development of this western country. He was a surveyor when he came to the territory of Colorado and later was known as the most reliable mining engineer of that period. Mr. Sayre was born in New York City in 1835. He crossed the plains by ox team and reached Denver in June 1859. He located at Central City in the early sixties, where he was interested in mining until 1865. In 1860 he and a group of Frenchmen found the town of La Porte, near Fort Collins, which was then believed to be the “gateway of Colorado.” Here, Sayre formed a lasting friendship with Geo. M. Pullman, who was in the feed business there and who later became head of the great Pullman Company. So many were the angles of Mr. Sayre’s life that they cannot all be recorded. He was not only a mining engineer, but a banker, a high military officer, and a prominent citizen. He was president of the Rocky Mountain Bank of Central City for many years. As a soldier, he served in various ranks during the Civil War, from first lieutenant to brigadier general. On Aug. 13, 1864 he was appointed recruiting officer with rank of first lieutenant by Ten. John Evans, and in the same year was promoted to a captaincy and then a major in the Third Colorado Cavalry. He was chief engineer of the Colorado militia in the same year. In addition, from 1867 to 1872 he served as adjutant general of Colorado. Recently, in an interview with State Historical, Albert B. Sanford, Mr. Sayre defended Chivington and his men, who in 1864 participated in a great Indian fight at Sand Creek. Eastern journals had pictured Chivington and his men as barbarous and murderers of squaws and Indian babes. “No thought of killing squaws or papooses ever entered our minds,” Mr. Sayre told Sanford. “To my knowledge, no woman or child was killed unless it was by a stray bullet. The squaws had joined forces with the Indian fighters and at times the two were indistinguishable.” Mr. Sayre lived in Denver sixty one years, with the exception of three years spent abroad with his family. He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Dartt Sayre; a daughter, Mrs. William B. Berger, wife of the vice president of the Colorado National Bank, and a son, Robert H. Sayre of Denver. Funeral services will be held Monday morning at 10 o’clock from the residence. Interment will be made in the Fairmount Cemetery. Hal Sayre, who died at his home December 11, left his estate, valued at $27,500 to his widow Mrs. Elizabeth Sayre. She presented his will for probate in the Denver County court Wednesday. Mrs. Sayre asked the court to issue letters testamentary to her. The estate consists of mining property, ranch land, and unimproved city properties, all valued at $20,000 and personal property worth $7,500, according to papers filed by Mrs. Sayre.

120 years ago – December 11, 1896

Born: At Malone’s Ranch, Gilpin County, December 8th, 1896, to the wife of Cornelius Malone, a son.

Born: In Central City, December 11th, 1896, to the wife of Samuel Manuel, a daughter.

Died: In Nevadaville, December 7th, 1896, Mrs. William Way, aged 37 years. Funeral services were held at the Centennial Methodist Church at 1:30 o’clock this afternoon, interment will be made in the Bald Mountain Cemetery.

Died: At 2426 Champa Street, Denver, December 8th, 1896, Franklin Kilbourn, aged 69 years. Mr. Kilbourn was one of the pioneers of Colorado, and spent the greater portion of his residence in the state in this city, leaving a couple of years ago to take up his residence in Denver. He had interests in considerable mining property throughout the county. His funeral occurred on Thursday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock.

Died: In Central City, December 8th, 1896, of miner’s consumption, John Vincent, aged 46 years. Funeral services were held at the Methodist Church at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, the Rev. B. B. Cook officiating. The members of Queen of the West Lodge No. 405, Sons of St. George, of which the deceased was a member, turned out in full number headed by the Central City band. Interment was made in the city cemetery, a large number of friends attending the funeral to pay their last respects to the memory of the departed. Deceased leaves a wife, two sons, and a daughter to mourn his loss.

Died: In Black Hawk, December 5th, 1896, aged one year, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. W.T. Stevens.

Died: James Marcucci, of Black Hawk, who was injured in the 665 level of the Gregory-Bobtail incline, died of his injuries last Friday afternoon about 5 o’clock. The deceased was 20 years of age, and lived with his parents in Black Hawk. The funeral took place Sunday morning, the services being held at the Church of the Assumption in this city. A large number of friends followed the remains to their last resting place in the Catholic burying grounds.

Died: Cyrus H. McLaughlin died at his Denver residence on Saturday morning. He was nearly 70 years old age and was one of the earliest pioneers in Colorado. Shortly after the Pike’s Peak discovery of gold in 1859, he came overland from Leavenworth, Kansas, to Denver, which was then a mere settlement. From that place he walked to the Gregory diggings, now known as Gregory Point, near Mountain City, in this county. He was entrusted with $30,000 worth of ore as express matter to eastern parties, which he delivered safely in Leavenworth, and his favorable report of the gold diggings resulted in a great many families leaving at once for the new Eldorado. He was a prominent member of the I.O.O.F. and A.O.U.W., under the auspices of which orders his funeral tool place on Sunday last.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button