Turning Back the Pages

tellerhouselobby01_195030 years ago – October 3, 1986

It looks like there will be a three-way race for mayor in Central City at the November 4 municipal election. Monday, J.D. Corelli took out a petition to run for mayor. To get on the ballot he will have to get 25 signatures on the petition and turn it in by next Monday. Corelli is currently a city councilman, as is Bruce Schmalz, another mayoral candidate. They are challenging incumbent William C. Russell, Jr. Both Russell and Schmalz have turned in their petitions. Eight candidates have announced they’re running for four city council positions. Dick Allen, Diana Calhoun, Angelo DiBenedetto, Ted Ellis, Frank Macri, and Claude Pail all have their petitions in at City Hall. Florence Farringer and Don Treese had not turned theirs in by Wednesday afternoon. Voters registered in the city are reminded they are only allowed to sign one petition for mayor and up to four for aldermen. If they sign more than allowed, their signatures will not be counted on any of the petitions. The last day to register to vote in the city election is today, October 3. City voters must register at both City Hall and the County Courthouse.

All of the contaminated and hazardous waste materials have been removed from the site in Black Hawk that necessitated an emergency response by the Environmental Protection Agency in September. The property, leased by Joe Herrold, is located north of Black Hawk, within the city limits. On September 9, the EPA and the U.S. Coast Guard responded to the area and found concentrated acids as well as caustic solutions that were capable of killing people and animals. The dangerous materials were placed in sealed drums and the property was secured until the substances were removed. Mike Gaydosh, regional counselor for the EPA, said this week that the situation continues to be under an ongoing investigation by the EPA. It will be several months before civil or criminal charges may or may not be filed against Herrold, or any other responsible parties. As of this week, the EPA had spent about $35,000 to clean up and secure the premises. The total cost of the project may exceed that amount, Gaydosh said.

By Roger Baker: Heard any good books lately? Recognizing that Gilpin County has a large population of commuters who, for one reason or another, never brighten the library’s door, we’re trying something new – books on tape. While most commuters probably feel like they could make that drive with their eyes closed (and some have been known to try), we couldn’t, in good conscience, encourage that behavior by urging drivers to read behind the wheel. But, given the prevalence of cassette players in cars these days, we decided to spend some bucks and buy a number of different types of spoken word cassettes for folks to check out from the bookmobile. These range from the classics (Faulkner and Tennessee Williams reading their own works) to more recent works by Anne Tyler, Ann Beattie, and Studs Terke’s oral history of WWII, “The Good War.” Those who are finding the fast lane a little bumpy might profit from “The Superwoman Syndrome” and “Surviving Loss.” While those who want to get off-track completely for a half hour or so will welcome some of our old time radio shows, like Jack Benny, the Shadow, Life of Riley, or the Green Hornet. My personal favorite is a tape of two episodes of a 1940s radio drama Suspense starring Ronald Reagan! To make it even easier for the canyon cruisers to check these tapes out, we’re trying out a new stop on our bookmobile itinerary – Thursday nights from 4:30 to 7:30 at Ken and Sue Nilsson’s Diggins Restaurant. So stop in, warm up, grab a bite and check out a few books and a tape or two. Not responsible for accidents caused by tears or hysterical laughter.

60 years ago – October 5, 1956

Central City News:

This is National Newspaper Week, from October 1 to 8. Your newspaper is freedom’s key to better living. It unlocks the door to a richer life for everyone. It chronicles who is sick, who died, who was born, who married, who took his own life, who was hurt in an accident, the toils of disaster and particularly in the Register-Call, view with tolerance the compassion on those whom the finger of suspicion has been directed, but has always upheld those tenets that constitute a newspaper. The success of this endeavor is best exemplified by the fact that searching through its columns of the past 95 years, it has always been on the side of truth, and has never besmirched a name without being fully aware of circumstances. In this tradition, we are proud; yes, proud enough to look into the future that we have always been fair and reasonable in all the problems that have beset each and every publication. And that is the “Why” of National Newspaper Week.

The people of Gilpin County were saddened by the news that Sheriff Kenneth McKenzie died at St. Anthony’s Hospital late Tuesday evening, where he had been for several days receiving treatment. “Ken” was born in Boulder County, and for many years worked in the mines in and around Ward and Nederland. He was superintendent of several mines in this vicinity, and later was an overseer of road equipment of Boulder County. He was 56 years of age. He came to Gilpin County in the late 30’s and supervised road equipment on District No. 2 in the Black Hawk area. He was elected Sheriff in 1948 and has held that position to the present time. In his capacity as Sheriff of Gilpin County, “Ken” was most conscientious in his work and was considered as one of the most able law enforcement officers in the state. He was extremely well liked by all residents of Gilpin County as a fearless officer and was greatly admired. Surviving are his wife and daughter, Mrs. Donna Blake, of Black Hawk, and one brother Preston, and a sister, Mrs. Edith Owen, both of Huntington Beach, California. Services will be held today, Friday, at 1:30 p.m. at the Methodist Church in this city, with interment in Dory Hill Cemetery.

Mr. Orange H. Scott, who has been a resident of Tolland for several years past, died Tuesday in Denver after a long illness, and his funeral will be held this Friday morning from the Ollinger Mortuary, with interment in the Fort Logan Cemetery.

George Magor informs us that the tours of tourists and visitors through the Opera House has been most beneficial to the Association since the closing of the Teller House and the Opera House, and as long as this beautiful weather exists, he expects many more thousands of visitors to visit this historic edifice.

Black Hawk News:

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Mitchell celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary last Saturday evening with a family dinner at the home of their daughter and son in law, Mr. and Mrs. Warren Johnson. The Johnsons have recently purchased a new home at 47th and Dover in Denver.

Paul Eccker was up from Denver Sunday making some repairs on his mother’s house on Clear Creek Street.

Mr. and Mrs. Harry Gallagher and daughter Kathleen, who have spent the summer at their ranch on Guy Hill returned Saturday to their home in Concordia, Kansas.

Mrs. Roy Steers is in a Denver hospital preparing to undergo an operation for a goiter.

Raymond N. Klein, a lifelong resident of Black Hawk, died early Wednesday after a lengthy illness. Ray was born in Black Hawk and has spent his entire life here. In partnership with his brother, he operated and owned several mining properties in this district. He was 67 years of age and is survived by two brothers, Henry and Louis, of Black Hawk, and two sisters, Mrs. Rose Williams and Mrs. Ernestine Doeling, both of Denver. Funeral services will be held Saturday morning from the Catholic Church in this city, with interment in the Catholic Cemetery outside Central City.

Rollinsville News:

Henry Placek is feeling fine. He was able to leave the hospital and is at the Bob Thompson home in Boulder. About the middle of October he expects to be back at Skyline.

Mrs. Nora Scott of Central City was a visitor at the Mike Neal home in Moon Gulch Friday.

Mrs. J.C. Cotter left Collinsville Friday for Denver where she will join her niece and nephew, Miss Mary and Phil Heuer, for a three weeks outing to points west and California.

Mr. Bob Ferguson, who lives on the South Beaver, has returned home after hospitalization in Denver. His wife and daughter were in Denver with him.

Art Crow of Collinsville and Tom Collins of Black Hawk attended the annual meeting in Denver of the International Footprinters Association No. 20 last Tuesday night.

The section crew under Art Lawrence was at the scene of the foothills forest fire near the mouth of Coal Creek Canyon Friday and Saturday. D & R.G. section workers all the way from Littleton to East Portal were called in to fight the fire which was fanned by high winds. The local crew is made up of Mr. Lawrence, foreman; Bob Logan, Bob Mavis, Ed Torres, Dave and Gabriel Martinez.

90 years ago – October 8, 1926

Buck Jones in “Man Foursquare,” and a Fox News reel, will be the pictures to be seen at the Opera House Saturday evening, Oct. 9th.

The light fedora hat, found near the body of the murdered man on Dory Hill by Mr. George Green while looking for cattle on Wednesday of last week, was the only clue which could lead to the identity of the unfortunate man, and that clue has been followed most closely by the Denver Post, the district attorney, Joel E. Stone, and his force in the district attorney’s office for this district, and local authorities, with a result that the murdered man has been fully identified and a direct information charging Frederick W.J. Barlow, of Denver, former Canadian army major, with the murder of Glenn D. Barnes, was filed in the district court in Central City on Monday noon by deputy district attorney B.F. Napheys, Jr., of Idaho Springs. The hat band contained the name of “Warner Knight Clothing Company,” as well as the initials “G. D. B.,” of gilt letters which were pasted on it. With the assistance of Mrs. Everett G. Williams of Denver, the Post was able to locate the firm which sold the hat to Barnes, at Ottawa, Kansas, and from the proprietors of the store, the further fact that they sold the hat to Barnes, and gave the residence of Barnes as Princeton, Kansas. The Post then got in communication with the family of Barnes and his sister said that Glenn had purchased a new Chevrolet coach, and had left for Colorado on Saturday, August 28, with a J.E. Williams, as a companion. When a ring was mentioned as having been taken off the finger of the dead man by Coroner George Hamllik, the sister identified it fully. The coach which Barnes drove to Denver, is now owned by W.W. Phillips, of Denver, who bought the machine from the Carpenter Motor Company, of Denver. That firm, the records of the statehouse indicate, purchased the machine from F.W. J. Barlow, who according to the records, bought it from Frank W. James, of Salina, Kansas, and nowhere in the records of the secretary of state does the name of Glenn D. Barnes appear. Barlow is now a fugitive, and disappeared from his home in Denver on Saturday last, after being questioned by investigator Bartlett, of the district attorney’s office. The body of Barnes, which was buried in the Dory Hill Cemetery by Coroner Hamllik on Thursday of last week, was taken up on Monday last, and taken to Denver for shipment to his home in Princeton, Kansas. His brother, Frank Barnes, accompanied by Harley Goff and Fred R. Pinney, of Princeton, Kansas, members of the I.O.O.F. Lodge, of which Glenn Barnes was a member, to help identify the remains as a member of that order, and at the request of the lodge and members of the family, arrived in Central the first of the week. When the ring, hat, shoes, and pieces of clothing taken from the body, was shown to Mr. Barnes, he exclaimed, “Those things belonged to my brother.” The murdered man was 32 years of age, and a son of J.G. Barnes, a wealthy farmer of Princeton, Kansas.

Married: In Denver, October 6, 1926, at the Francis De Sales Rectory by Father Donnelly, Hugo Nelson and Miss Edna Lewis, both of Central City. The bride has spent the greater portion of her years in this city, and has been the able assistant in the county treasurer’s office, as well as in other county offices, is of a sweet and lovely disposition, and admired for those traits which go with lovely womanhood. The groom has followed mining as a vocation, and is highly spoken of by all who know him. At the ceremony, Mrs. Lottie Katta and George Lewis, sister and brother of the bride, were the attendants, after which a wedding breakfast was served at the home of Mr. and Mrs. George Lewis. The happy couple left on an auto trip over the state, and will return to this city next week to make their future home.

Married: In Central City, October 2, 1926, by Justice Gustave Kruse, William T. Bradley and Gwendolyn Bone, both of Boulder.

Died: Harry J. Sears. Henry J. Stahl received word Monday on the death of Harry J. Sears, at Sunset Beach, California, on Sunday, aged 53 years. He was the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Nate Sears, was postmaster here for several years, and was well known throughout the community. He was a member of the Woodmen Lodge, and is survived by his widow and brother, Albert.

120 years ago – October 2, 1896

Fred Yoder, George Yoder, and Dave Sailor were tried on Tuesday before Justice of the Peace Thomas Husband, charged with burglary and petit larceny. Harry Narthey, a boarder at the Granite house, had some clothing stolen from him and the prisoners were found with the property in their possession. After hearing the testimony, the Yoder boys were held over to the District court in the sum of $300 each, and the case against Sailor was dismissed.

While out driving in a buggy with W.H. Williams and son last Sunday, Wm. Bennallack of Mountain City was thrown out of the buggy through the running away of the horse. Mr. Bennallack was taken to his home in Mountain City, where Dr. Asquith made an examination, and found that he had received cuts on the face and was considerably bruised about the left leg. Before going to press we learn that he is resting easily, and is doing well.

Bartoli Bassolio, an Austrian, was seriously injured in the Crown Point and Virginia Mine on Wednesday afternoon. A stull gave way, and the unfortunate man was covered up with rock and dirt. The injured man was conveyed to his home in Russell Gulch, where upon examination by Dr. Moore it was found that half of his scalp was torn off, and that he had a bad cut on the leg, one inch deep and several inches long, requiring twenty stitches.

Mrs. John best of Denver was a visitor to the county on Monday.

Miss Ida Kruse left Monday afternoon for Vassar College. Relatives and friends accompanied her to Forks Creek to wish her goodbye.

J.F. Hopkins, manager of the Sleepy Hollow Mine, was up from Denver on Tuesday.

Miss Iona Knight returned on Tuesday from Chicago, where she had been visiting relatives. Iona is now an accomplished bicyclist, and can scorch with any of them.

Born: In Nevadaville, September 30th, 1896, to the wife of Rev. C.H. Cage, a son.

Born: In Central City, September 30th, 1896, to the wife of Fred Davies, a son.

Born: In Black Hawk, September 30th, 1896, to the wife of Michael Sullivan, a son.

Died: In Central City, September 26th, 1896, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. N. Balta, aged 3 months.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button