Turning Back the Pages

30 years ago – June 6, 1986

A female was incarcerated at the Gilpin County Sheriff’s Department shortly after 4:00 p.m. on May 31st. She was described as having cinnamon colored hair. Her date of birth was in the month of March. Her eyes were brown black. She stood 10 to 15 inches in height. She did not have a name or have any identification in her possession. When taken into custody for vagrancy, she was not cooperative and in fact “was quite a fighter,” according to Deputy Jon Bayne. The female was a baby bear. Bayne said this week, that at 1:00 p.m. on May 31st, tourists advised the Colorado State Patrol that they had seen a bear a short distance off of Highway 119, south of Black Hawk. When an attempt was made to locate it, the bear could not be found. At 4:00 p.m. Bayne and Reserve Deputy Bill Palmer were patrolling Highway 110 and were waved over to the side of the road by tourists at mile post 2.2. The baby bear had climbed up a small pine tree that was close to the highway. For her safety, she was taken into custody by Palmer and transported to the sheriff’s department. Her mother could not be located in the area. Apparently, the baby bear had been abandoned. After arriving at the sheriff’s department, the Colorado Division of Wildlife was notified. After remaining at the sheriff’s department for an hour and a half, she was taken to the Boulder Humane Society by personnel from the Division of Wildlife. She will reside there temporarily, until they can find her a permanent home. Bayne said that he was told that bears will not readapt to the environment after they have been handled by human hands.

BRECKENRIDGE: The Colorado Municipal Judges Association conducted its annual conference at the Hotel Denver in Glenwood Springs, May 15 through 18. At that conference, Judge Frederic B. Rodgers of the Central City and Black Hawk municipal courts was elected president of the organization for a one year term. Rodgers has served as a member of the board of directors of the Colorado Municipal Judges Association since April of 1979 and was the first appointed presiding municipal court judge of Central City in 1980 and of Black Hawk in 1983. Rodgers also continues to serve as chairman of the Colorado Supreme Court Committee on Municipal Court Rules, an office to which he was appointed in May 1984.

The Central City Street & Road crew began to tackle a difficult task this week of installing a 100-foot culvert across Eureka Street. The project, which began on Monday, was expected to take four days to complete, according to Eric Klemp, Street, Road, & Water Commissioner for the city. The project was proceeding accordingly by placing the new culvert into the ground underneath a gas line. What was not anticipated, was an unknown sewer line. Klemp said that the line was not on the city map of the water lines. Norman Blake, president of the Black Hawk-Central City Sanitation Department, said Wednesday that the sewer line is part of the old sewer system that is still in place in the city. It is not listed on an older map for the sanitation department. Lack said that this is not uncommon on some of the older maps. Blake explained that the majority of sewer lines in Central City were replaced years ago, with the exception being on Eureka Street. Those lines were replaced at the same time as the others because of the summer traffic. Klemp said that members of the sanitation department responded immediately to the location. He added that the crew and the sanitation department have a good working relationship. Klemp said Wednesday that the project should be completed on schedule despite the temporary setback.

60 years ago – June 8, 1956

The Georgetown dam, about one mile below Georgetown on Clear Creek, broke loose Monday sending torrential floods boiling down the normally placid waters, causing almost a half-million dollars in damage. The dam was a new one, completed last September by the Colorado Game & Fish department and was stocked early this spring with many tons of trout. It was known as Lake Georgetown for many years and was used by the old Colorado Central Electric Light company to generate electricity for the two counties. When the use of it was discontinued, after the dam broke away, it was taken over by the Colorado Game Commission and later became the property of the town of Georgetown. The breakthrough was thought to be caused by a fissure under the spillway due to three warm days which sent melting snow from the mountains above Georgetown into the valley of Clear Creek. The dam, already swelled up by the spring runoff, filled up Sunday night and the continuous hammering of the waves against the spillway, some 60 feet wide, began crumbling. The waters rushed through, building up a head that sent the small creek flooding into a river, tearing out nine bridges between Georgetown and Idaho Springs and cutting into the banks along the highway, in places entirely washing out the road the entire width. Idaho Springs was most fortunate in not having more damage, but as it was, many houses east were flooded, but fortunately no one was killed. The flood continued down the canyon toward Golden and Arvada but did little damage. It was the most disastrous flood in the history of Clear Creek County, and if it had happened when the flow of water is increased during the next two weeks, from melting snow banks, the damage would have been much greater.

The State Highway Department finished putting up a huge sign across the street in front of the Post Office designating a one way street west from the junction of Lawrence and Spring streets.

Lou and Alice Cohen assumed management of the Central Bar & Cafe last Friday and celebrated the occasion with an “open house” during the weekend. Extensive improvements are being made consisting of a new lunch counter extending from the bar to the back of the room, where short orders will be served at all hours. They have been fortunate in obtaining the services of “Curley” Foster as their Chef, who promises a cuisine of delectable foods, specializing, however, in charcoal broiled steaks and chicken dinners served family style.

As the summer festival nears, it would seem most apropos and decidedly necessary for the City Council to declare a “Clean-Up Day” throughout the city. It has been several years since this has been done and it would enhance the beauty of Central City.

Died: Fred Stroehle, of Idaho Springs, died at the Presbyterian Hospital in Denver, Monday evening from a heart condition. He was taken to the hospital two days previous and placed in an oxygen tent to relieve his suffering. He was 77 years of age. Fred was born in Black Hawk, where he attended the schools there. In his early youth he will be remembered as being a member of the Black Hawk band, being one of the youngest musicians and was most proficient in handling the snare drums. In company with his brother the late John Stroehle, took over the management of the Stroehle Boiler & Machinery Works in Black Hawk, with a similar plant in Idaho Springs, where Fred was the manager of the plant for over forty years. He was most proficient in this line of work and made many friends throughout the state. In later years he accumulated many mining properties in both Gilpin and Clear Creek counties, some of them being quite rich in the precious metals. He was a member of the Black Hawk Lodge, No. 11, A.F. & A.M., Central City Chapter, R.A.M., Knights Templar and the Shrine, and was one of the youngest men to affiliate with the Shrine from this county. He is survived by his wife, Gwen, whom he married in 1918. Funeral services will be held this Friday afternoon at the Masonic Hall in Idaho Springs, both Idaho Springs and Black Hawk lodges participating in Masonic  services, with interment in Idaho Springs Cemetery.

Died: Ramon Smith, aged about 44 years, was found dead at his home in Black Hawk, Wednesday afternoon. The body was discovered by John Anderle, a neighbor, who had noticed his car had not been moved from in front of the house for several days. Upon investigation through a window, he noticed Smith lying on the floor. He notified Sheriff McKenzie, who in turn called Coroner Charles Robins. He apparently suffered a heart attack sometime Sunday night, as he was seen during the evening. The TV set was operating and three of his wire haired terriers were in the home. One dog, however, was dead. Smith had been a resident of Black Hawk for the past three years, coming from Denver and was one of the teachers of the Black Hawk School for over a year. He was a graduate of Regis College in Denver and Notre Dame University. He was a member of the American Legion of this city. He is survived by a sister, Mrs. Dorothy Blackman, of New Mexico, and an uncle in Denver. He is also survived by his wife, of Denver, from whom he was separated. The body is in the charge of the Tomford Mortuary in Idaho Springs, and so arrangements have been made for the funeral, pending the arrival of his sister.

90 years ago – June 11, 1926

“The Outsider,” a special six reel production with an all-star cast, and a Fox News reel will be the Opera House program for the Saturday evening, June 12th.

Don’t forget the baseball game to be played Sunday at the Quartz Valley grounds, between Black Hawk and Central City.

Henry P. Altvater and wife, accompanied by Mrs. Louie Welch and son Jack, left for Denver Sunday morning to attend the funeral of Mrs. Thomas Stribley, held that afternoon. They returned during the evening, accompanied by Mr. Stribley and daughter, Mrs. Hazel Wolfe, and the two latter left on Tuesday morning for Great Falls, Montana, for a couple of weeks visit, with the intention of returning overland and remaining here for the summer.

Mrs. Yet a Schroeder, who has been visiting her father, Mr. Peter McFarlane for a couple of weeks left for her home in Denver Thursday morning.

The objection to a revolver is that you may use it when you shouldn’t, and can’t find it when you should.

Married: In Central City, June 5, at the home of the bride, Rev. Howard Benton, pastor of the Methodist Church, officiating, Mr. Elders Shaeffer and Miss Viola Willis. Only the family relatives and a few invited friends were present to witness the ceremony. The bride carried roses and was dressed in a beautiful dress of peach georgette crepe. The couple left after the ceremony for Boulder, where Mr. Schaefer is employed, and will make that city their home.

Married: At Georgetown, May 18th, by the Justice of the Peace, Mr. Paul Mattivi and Mertrand Avery, both of Black Hawk. We are a little late with the announcement, as the young people had kept their wedding a secret until recently. However, their many friends extend congratulations and good wishes.

Married: In Denver, June 5, Rev. Raider, officiating. Mr. Merle Thompson and Miss Helen Berry. This announcement comes as a distinct surprise to their many friends in this section, and the newlyweds are jubilant in the thought that it would be a surprise. The bride is a graduate of the Boulder University, and has been on the faculty of the local high school for the past two years. Mr. Thompson has a garage business in this city and is making a success of his business. Both young people are well and favorably known and number their friends by the score, who extend to the newly wedded pair congratulations and best wishes for a long and happy future.

A marriage license was issued in Denver during the week to Evans L. Keller, of Palmer, Colorado, and Miss Bessie P. Jeffrey’s of Central City.

Died: In Denver, June 7, Mrs. Sophia Neno, mother of James Neno, of New York, Mrs. Mabel Dunn and Samuel Neno, of Denver. Deceased was formerly a resident of this city, and will be well remembered by former residents here and in Denver.

The funeral of Mrs. Thomas Stribley took place from the Rogers Mortuary in Denver Sunday afternoon at 1 o’clock, and was attended by many old and dear friends of the family in Denver and this city, who were present to pay their last and sad respects to a former neighbor whom they had known for nearly a half-century. At the close of the services the remains were interred in the Crown Hill Cemetery.

120 years ago – June 5, 1896

Last Monday about noon, Sterling Newell had his leg broken as the result of a runaway team. He was returning from the mine and while driving up County Road Street to put his rig in Hansen’s livery stable, he saw a runaway coming down. There is a steep hill at this part of the road and Mr. Newell instantly concluded to turn in by the Methodist Church, but unfortunately there were some little children playing in the way, and he then jumped out of the rig, expecting that his horse would pull to the side of the road out of danger. Unluckily, in jumping, he struck his right foot on a big rock, causing a fracture of two bones about four inches below the knee. Mr. Newell was taken to his room in the Teller House and medical aid was summoned. It is expected that he will be confined to his room for three or four weeks. The runaway team luckily passed Mr. Newell’s rig without doing any injury, and ran across Eureka Street, where the wagon was demolished but the horses escaped without injury.

Miss Pearl Griffith, who has been visiting relatives here for several weeks, returned to Denver Sunday.

Mrs. Billings of Denver, mother of Mrs. Ben Thomas, came up on Monday to make a visit.

Dr. A.C. Asquith went to Denver last Friday and spent several pleasant days, returning on Monday.

Marshal Keleher went to Denver last Sunday afternoon. He expects that the lower altitude will be more beneficial to his regaining lost strength than up here in the mountains. Good luck to you, Mike, and hope you will derive much benefit from your visit.

H.B. Triplett of Denver came up last Friday to visit his brother, T. Triplett, at the Teller House, and left again on Tuesday.

  1. Peers has been a sufferer from rheumatism for the past week, but is improving.

Born: In Nevadaville, May 26th, 1896, to the wife of N. Semmen’s, a son.

Born: In Nevadaville, June 5, 1896, to the wife of T.H. James, a girl.

Died: In Central City, May 29th, 1896, of pneumonia, Peter Heggland, aged 35 years. Funeral services were held in the Swedish church on Sunday, interment being made in the Central City Cemetery.

Died: In Denver, June 1st, 1896, Battista Ricono, aged 37 years, of pneumonia. The remains were brought up from Denver on Tuesday and funeral services were held in the Church of the Assumption on Wednesday morning at 8 o’clock. Interment was made in the Catholic burying grounds.

Died: In Black Hawk, June 3rd, 1896, Roy Gunn, aged 4 years, diphtheria, son of Mr. and Mrs. F. Gunn.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button