Turning Back the Pages

• Bookmarks: 2

OhMyGodRoad_192930 years ago – May 16, 1986

Letter to the Editor: To: A long-time part-time Central City resident, From: A short-time, part-time Gilpinite: Dear Madam, As a relative newcomer to the city, I have earnestly tried not to step on any proverbial toes of the establishment and in retrospect, perhaps my actions of the last two years have not met the expectations of the business community. Your formal complaint to the police department has been officially relayed to me and I concede that I stand guilty as charged, I do put out a poultry feed for the benefit of pigeons, sparrows, squirrels, and other hungry animals which eat cracked corn. Perhaps if you had come to me first with your accusation, we could have reached a mutually agreeable compromise. However, in that you chose to make the matter one of public consumption, I am responding via means of public forum. At this point it is interesting to note that during your absence, none of the people who traversed the sidewalks in question, including shall we say “relationships,” had made any type of complaint. The experience of having a formal visit from a police officer was indeed humiliating, and if that was your purpose, you succeeded. However, I now feel that it is only fair for me to ask if you also complained about: 1) Other shops and bars that sell popcorn, peanuts and assorted bread stuff items that are spilled on our sidewalks and end up as pigeon food; 2) Establishments that sell food to go in that the cans, cups, lids, wrappers and chewing gum somehow get thrown onto our sidewalks by persons unknown; 3) The dogs and cats that rummage through garbage cans, thus leaving trash to blow onto the streets and sidewalks; 4) The “residue” left on the sidewalks by those same dogs and cats. In any case, the pigeons and other partakers are hopefully going to find food somewhere and for the time being it will be in the vicinity of my shop. If anyone has an alternative feeding location that will be safer from the cats and maniac drivers, I will gladly make the change, because it was never my intention to create hardship on anyone. Since you elected to make this a formal police matter, you or anyone having a better idea may avoid my presence by passing your suggestions along to them; I am sure they will relate that message as adeptly as the first. For the record, I sincerely hope a solution can be reached because even though you have the apparent ability to influence local issues, no one is without “skeletons in their closet” and escalation instead of reasoned resolution of this matter will be detrimental to all concerned. Sincerely, Lary Brown, Central City.

Thelma Bibles was selected as the employee of the month for March at the Gilpin County School. Bibles “stands out because of her flexibility and willingness to assume different roles. In the past year she has been a PE assistant, art assistant, office helper and teacher aide. Her hard work and positive attitude are one of the best in the school,” according to Superintendent Fred Meyers and Principal Dan Ryan. The employee of the month is selected by Meyers and Ryan.

May Louis Markham: May Louise Markham passed away at her home in Santa Fe, New Mexico, on May 11. She was 75 years old. Funeral services were held on Wednesday in Santa Fe. Burial followed the service at the National Cemetery. The community extends their sympathy to her daughter, Janet M. Davis, editor of the Weekly Register-Call and resident of Central City, regarding the loss of her mother. In addition to her daughter, Mary is survived by three sisters and two brothers.

60 years ago – May 18, 1956

The square dance given at the Elk’s Hall Saturday evenings are becoming out popular, and you are reminded that another of these enjoyable “do-se-does” will be held this coming Saturday evening, May 19th. Better plan on attending and enjoy an evening of entertainment.

Jack Shelly, the Mayor of Lake Gulch, was injured in an automobile accident last Friday evening while on his way home to his manor in lower Lake Gulch. He was thrown from a Jeep and sustained several severe cuts on his head and body. He was taken to Dr. Fowler in Idaho Springs for treatment and several stitches were necessary to close the cuts in his head. However, he is feeling quite pert again, which is good news to his many friends.

Mrs. Clifford Parsons has been spending several days in Denver this week while enjoying a short vacation, and in the meantime, little Clifford has been experimenting in all parts of the culinary art and apparently is successful as he doesn’t seem to have lost any weight. He also celebrated his ???? birthday on Monday and was a guest of Wm. Grenfell at a sumptuous lunch at Angelo’s Cafe. Hope you have many more birthdays Clifford.

Mr. And Mrs. Wm. C. Russell Jr., accompanied by County Treasurer Hugh L. Larry, left yesterday morning for Victor, Colorado, to spend a few hours, and on their return will bring back Mr. And Mrs. Albert Lawry, who will spend the summer months here.

Mrs. Nora Scott tripped on the front steps of the Court House Wednesday afternoon and fell to the first landing, sustaining severe injuries to both legs from the knee to the ankle. She is using crutches for a few days but is still her sweet, smiling self.

A group of local persons drive to Heidi Chalet Friday evening for one of their famous Vol-au-vent dinners, served by Mr. and Mrs. Barney Olsen. The guests were Mr. and Mrs. Charles Anderson, Mrs. Arthur Gray, Mrs. Frank Eccker, Miss Kathryn Eccker, and Mr. Sterling Gilbert.

90 years ago – May 21, 1926

Peter B. Kyle in “The Golden Strain,” a six reel production, and a Fox News reel, will be the program at the Opera House Saturday evening, May 22.

The only difference between the fisherman liar and the golf liar is that in the first case it’s a problem in addition and in the other, one of subtraction.

Died: In Denver, May 15th, at St. Joseph’s Hospital, Thomas Cody, of Central City, aged 70 years. Mr. Cody was born in Dubuque, Iowa, on March 23, 1856, and came to Colorado forty-five years ago, settling in this city, where he engaged in mining and quartz hauling, and joined a number of local pools for working mines in different parts of the country. In later years, in connection with his brother James, they established a coal business, which was conducted successfully until a year ago, when they sold out their holdings and stock to the Black Hawk Coal & Food Company, after which he retired and enjoyed a long needed rest. A year or more ago he had a stroke of paralysis, from which he partly recovered, and was able to be up and around, and last September he concluded to make his home in Denver, in the hope that a lower altitude would be beneficial, and with his daughter, took up quarters in the Neal Apartments on Welton Street. He was stricken the second time and was then taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital, where he passed away Saturday morning. Mr. Cody was known by almost everyone in Gilpin County, and was honored with many offices of trust in both city and county, which he filled with credit and satisfaction. He was sheriff of this city for seven years, and served several terms as alderman for the fourth ward, and was greatly beloved and esteemed by all who knew him. Of a happy and jovial disposition, it was a pleasure to meet him on the street or in his business office, as he always had a kind word or greeting for anyone whom he talked with. A fair and square businessman, honest and honorable in all his dealings, he leaves behind him a record that anyone would be proud of. He was a member of the Central City lodge, Order of Elks, and is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Harold Kerrigan, of Cheyenne, Wyoming, and Mary Elizabeth Cody, of Denver, and a brother, James, of this city. His wife died fourteen years ago, and a son, James E., who died two years ago. Funeral services were held Monday morning from the Holy Ghost Church, in Denver, interment made in Mount Olivet Cemetery.

Died: Mrs. Helen Jones. Following an illness of two weeks, Mrs. Helen Jones died early Tuesday morning at the home of her son, Fred Jones. She was 75 years old. As Helen Wolcott, Mrs. Jones came to Colorado with her family at the age of 10 years. The trip was made from her home in Iowa by covered wagon, a dangerous journey in those days of savage Indians on the warpath. The family settled down at Black Hawk, where Mrs. Jones spent sixty years of her long life. Five years ago she moved to Denver and made her home on Navajo Street. Mrs. Jones was a Daughter of the American Revolution and a great-great grandniece of Oliver Wolcott, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Surviving Mrs. Jones are seven sons, one daughter, and nineteen grandchildren. Four sons living in Denver at Fred, Roy, Edward, and George. The other children at Frank of Georgetown; Mrs. Maud Kruse and Ernest of Loveland, and Walter of La Junta.

120 years ago – May 15, 1896

Cricket: The initial game of this sport was played on King Flats last Saturday afternoon between eleven members of the Mountain Daisy Club of Nevadaville and Central City Club. This was simply a practice game, but it brought out some very good playing on both sides. The final score was Central City, 96 runs; Mountain Daisy, 57 runs for the loss of 9 wickets. The game was called with the Mountain Daisy club at the bat, with but one wicket to fall, but owing to the supply of cricket balls being exhausted, stumps were drawn. Games will be played every Saturday and Sunday afternoon when the weather permits, and later in the season match games will be arranged with representative teams of Colorado Springs, Denver, and elsewhere, to be played here and abroad. Some good material is to be found for a strong cricket club in this county, and some interesting games are looked for during the season.

Mrs. Charles Polglase and daughter, from Denver, who have been visiting Mrs. John Polglase of this city for the past week, returned home on Monday afternoon last.

A new surface water line has been put in through High Street from the reservoir, and another one has been put in the toll gate to the New York Mill.

Mrs. Christiansen arrived at Black Hawk yesterday and left for Apex to join her husband, who is a well-known contractor of that camp.

Last Friday, as a prospector from Yankee Hill was bringing some mules to Central, near Peck Flats the one he was riding became unmanageable and finally succeeded in throwing the man off. Unfortunately, however his thumb had become so fasted in the reins that he was dragged along by the mule in this manner until the first joint of his thumb was pulled clean off. Luckily, he did not bleed from the injured thumb, and he finally reached town and was attended to by Dr. Ashbaugh. The inured member is now healing up.

Tom Ford, a miner who has lived here for a number of years, has been acting strangely of late, and was locked up in the county jail by Sheriff Nicholls. Last Friday an examination was made as to his sanity before Judge Hicks and a picked jury. After hearing the testimony of the various witnesses, the jury declared Ford to be insane, and he will be sent to the Pueblo Asylum as soon as admission can be obtained for him there.

Marshal Keleher is doing nicely, regaining lost flesh, and is now able to be up and around the house every day. With a spell of warm, pleasant weather, he would soon be able to come downtown.

Born: In Central City, May 9th, 1896, to the wife of A. Thompson, a son.

Died: In Leadville, May 9th, 1896, Mr. B. W. Essen, brother in law of Charles Hager, and formerly a resident of Nevadaville.

Died: In Black Hawk, May 14th, 1896, of pneumonia, William Ender, aged 55 years.

Died: In Gregory Gulch, Mountain City, May 14th, 1896, of dropsy, John Williams, aged 14, son of Mr. And Mrs. W.H. Williams. Funeral services will be held in St. Paul’s Episcopal Church on Sunday at 2 p.m.

2 recommended
bookmark icon