Turning Back the Pages

• Bookmarks: 3

CholuaBrothers_outlaws30 years ago – May 2, 1986

View from the Casey: By Esther Campbell: “Birds of the pharaoh,” called one of the leaders on the last field trip of the bird watcher’s class I have been attending. She had sighted a flock of large black birds resting in a pond. Through our binoculars we could see black birds with tinges of pink under their feathers. They had long curved bills, long legs, and a broad white line around the eye and under the chin. It was an unusual sighting. Thus, the students with the clues; long legs, bills, and in water habitat turned to their field guides to the section on the order Ciconiiformes (wading birds with long legs, necks, and bills). Wow, they were the white faced ibis. The ibis is an uncommon bird in Colorado. They are migrating. I have just received a copy of the “Living Bird,” a magazine from the laboratory of ornithology at Cornell University. There are two articles on ibises. They are the most ancient of living birds and yes there was a picture of a mummy of an ibis done in gold leaf circa 330 B.C. Ancient Egyptians believed the sacred ibis was an incarnation of Troth, the god of wisdom and learning. The summary of both articles was that five species of ibis are disappearing mainly in the Orient. Closer to home, Dr. Cohen stopped by last week to report he will soon be coming to Gilpin County for the 12th year of the tree swallow study. Sure enough, on my way to Boulder, on Friday morning, I saw several of those glossy blue-black males sitting on the fencing near the Gilpin School and across from the Nifty Nook.

Harvey A. Clifton, 62, ran his truck through the new door at the Central City Fire Department. The newly installed door was completed Sunday, April 27, and before noon on Monday, April 28, Clifton lost his brakes and ran through the door, totally demolishing it. Clifton explained that he was traveling from Idaho Springs via Virginia Canyon and at about 15 m.p.h. He said that when he reached the free parking lot, south of Central City, his truck, with a camper, stopped running. When the engine stopped running he said that his brake system quit working. He contemplated turning at Gregory of Lawrence Street, but said that he would not be able to negotiate either turn as the momentum of the truck was gaining speed to about 45-50 m.p.h. Clifton said that he assumed that no one would be in the firehouse and headed there. The truck crashed through the door. The overhang on the firehouse caught the top of the camper which stopped the truck from hitting the 1931 Ford antique fire truck. Clifton anticipated the impact and was not physically hurt, but Central City Police Chief Mike Brewer notified the emergency medical technicians of the Gilpin County ambulance service to check Clifton and make sure that he was okay. No one was in the firehouse when the accident occurred. The other fire truck was at the Central City shop. The door was being enlarged to house the new fire truck the city has on order. It is expected to arrive later this year. The accident did extensive damage to the firehouse. Damage is estimated between $5,000 and $10,000. Clifton was charged with driving a defective vehicle and failure to provide proof of insurance.

Wanted: Customers at reopening of Mermaid Cafe. Friday, May 2, 6-9 p.m. Signed, Louise and Wendy.

60 years ago – May 4, 1956

The State Highway department had several pieces of equipment at work on Main Street Monday morning scraping the gutters of all debris and dirt which had accumulated during the winter. The street was also cleared of tailings which had been blown from the tailing dump and was a job well done.

Mrs. Mary Hamilton, who has been in Colorado General Hospital in Denver for the past two weeks, came up Monday evening to spend a few days here. She was accompanied by a sister who will spend several days with her. Mary said that “Billy” was improving, and wants to return home as soon as possible.

The play presented by the Junior Class of the high school last Thursday evening at the Clark School auditorium was well staged and well presented, and enjoyed by all who attending. The play was under the direction of Mrs. Maxine Gray, one of the high school teachers, and long hours of rehearsal were necessary, but both the thespians and director can feel well proud of their efforts.

Attorney Sterling Gilbert returned Monday from a short trip to Phoenix, Arizona, where he had accompanied his parents who will make that city their home. He reports a most pleasant trip, enjoyed the sunny climate, flirted with hundreds of Arizona girls, and generally had a helluva good time.

Oscar Williams spent the weekend in Denver attending the convention of the Colorado Peace Officers held Friday and Saturday. While Oscar is no longer connected with law enforcement, he still retains his membership and enjoyed meeting again with many friends.

A Greyhound bus with some forty Japanese were in Central Thursday on a short visit. They are textile workers in Japan and were en route to Miami, Florida.

Funeral services were held in Golden Wednesday afternoon for Thomas Rowe, who died Saturday at the age of 60 years. He was born in Nevadaville and served in World War I and after the war moved to Golden where he has made his home. He is survived by his widow; two sons, Alfred, of Thornton and Thomas Jr., of Golden; one sister, Mrs. Lillian Porter of Medford, Oregon; one brother, Elmer, of Golden, and two grandchildren.

90 years ago – May 7, 1926

“The Gilded Butterfly,” a special seven reel picture and a Fox News reel will be the program at the Opera House Saturday evening, May 8th.

George Morgan and wife arrived in Central from Denver on Tuesday morning, on a visit with his brother, Evan Morgan, who is convalescing from his recent accident. They were accompanied by Mrs. R.H. McBride and Mrs. R.C. Price, relatives, of Denver.

A letter received the first of the week from Samuel A. Rank, of Boulder, in renewing his annual subscription to the Register-Call, said that his right eye had been entirely destroyed and the eyeball completely disappeared. He had been suffering for a number of years from an infection of the eye, which has resulted in the eyesight of that member being entirely obliterated.

Henry P. Altvater and wife motored to Denver on Friday of last week on a visit with relatives, returning on Sunday.

Miss Edna Lewis is reported on the sick list, suffering from an attack of the flu.

Mrs. James E. Lightbourn came over from Rollinsville on Tuesday to spend a portion of the summer months at the old home in this city.

Many springs in this vicinity that have not flowed for years have come to life this year.

The Pewabic Mine force was laid off for several days until the water can be handled, so that work can progress in the lower levels.

Joe Ress took the flyer for Denver to visit a dentist.

These parts were visited by a severe electric storm on Saturday. The lightning put the power line at the Evergreen Mine, near Apex, out of commission and also the telephone line. Mr. Barrick walked to Black Hawk on Sunday to call Nederland for repairmen to remedy the trouble, who came over that afternoon and made the necessary repairs, but not before the water had raised so high in the mine as to submerge the motor on the 600 foot station and the water had to be lowered by bucket until Tuesday. A new motor has been shipped up from Denver, and arrived Monday and the mine is again in full blast.

The flood water from the melting snow has done more damage to the roads than any water in the past five years. The snow has melted so rapidly that the ditches and culverts could not carry the volume of water coming down the mountain sides.

Mr. Wm. S. Barrick has the honor of receiving the first air mail letter ever received at the Apex post office. The letter was cancelled at Des Moines, Iowa, at 7 p.m., arrived in Apex at 12:20 p.m. the next day. A night message usually takes that long to come through.

He had spoken to her on the street and she was properly insulted. “I don’t know you from Adam!” she exclaimed indignantly. “You ought,” he retorted, “I’m dressed different.”

Born: In Central City, April 30, 1926, to the wife of Alfred Rowe, a daughter.

Born: In Denver, May 2nd, 1926, to the wife of J.F. Negri, a son. Mrs. Negri will be remembered as Miss Ermine Parteli, of this city.

120 years ago – May 1, 1896

Cripple Creek, like all new mining camps, met with a severe fire on Saturday afternoon last, whereby over 300 buildings were destroyed, entailing a loss of at least $1,000,000. The fire was caused by the explosion of a gasoline stove in one of the buildings used as a dance hall, and the building being all of wood, burned rapidly, and the fire was soon beyond the control of the fire department. Dynamite was used to good effect, and when it was seen that the fire could not be controlled, twenty buildings were blown up, residences and business houses, which precaution saved the balance of the city. In half an hour after the fire broke out it was beyond control. The section was solidly built up, but that only seemed to serve as a conductor for the flames. An hour later six business squares were a mass of flame and smoke. The post office, with 25,000 undelivered letters, the First National Bank, the jail and town hall, the Gold Mining Stock Exchange, and a hundred stores, saloons and offices, and 300 dwellings of all classes were wiped out of existence, with 90 percent of their aggregated contents. Work of rebuilding was commenced an hour after the fire was under control, and the burned out district will soon be rebuilt on a larger and finer scale than formerly. The mayor, Hugh R. Steele, in a card to the public, says that assistance is not needed, and that the homeless people will all be cared for by those who were more fortunate. The post office was established on Tuesday afternoon, and in a very short time will be able to handle all mail matter as before the fire. As far as could be learned, very few people from Gilpin County met with loss in the fire, the only ones being James Morrison, Harry Teller, and Robert A. Campbell.

From the Thursday evening Denver Post: Robert A. Campbell of this City Shoots Himself at his late Residence in Denver: Within thirty minutes after he had accompanied his wife and infant son to a car, at 9:30 o’clock this morning, and had lovingly bade her goodbye as she started downtown to visit a lady at the Metropole, Robert Campbell, a gentleman widely known in this city and throughout the state, especially in Gilpin County, deliberately committed suicide by shooting. Serious pecuniary losses sustained by yesterday’s terrible fire at Cripple Creek was presumed to have induced the lamentable affair. The unfortunate man, by subterfuge, induced the only other remaining occupant of the house to temporarily leave his presence, and protected against any possible intrusion of his three little daughters who were at school, Mr. Campbell appropriated the bathroom, which he quickly converted into a scene of desolation and death. The shot which killed Robert Campbell, shot through the heart, frightened the servant who ran screaming across the street, and frantically besought the presence of Dr. J.H. McNeill. He responded hastily, but a glimpse assured him that his services were unnecessary. As Dr. McNeill was preparing to leave he was apprised by the return of Mrs. Campbell just then entering the house. As considerately as possible he informed her of the tragedy, but she apprehended its termination before he had concluded. With remarkable fortitude she entered the parlor, after having hurriedly asked the doctor, “Is Mr. Campbell dead?” Receiving an affirmative reply, Mrs. Campbell placed her little boy, which she still carried in her arms, in the care of a lady, and in a moment was transformed into a reckless, desperate woman. Later Mrs. Randolph and other friends arrived and this afternoon the afflicted woman was resting easily, and it is believed that her insanity will be but temporary.

In regards to Mr. R. A. Campbell: When the news reached this city of the suicide of Mr. Campbell, it was not believed, as he was the last man in Central who would be picked out for such a deed. Always jolly and pleasant, seemingly without care or trouble, it did not seem possible that the news could prove true, but it was later verified, with the announcement that he was dead. “Bob” Campbell was about 45 years of age, and had lived in this city for over twenty years, leaving last fall for Cripple Creek, where he engaged in the mining brokerage business. He was elected last fall as County Superintendent of Schools, but since his absence from the county that work has been looked after by Mr. Austin, his deputy. He held the office of President of the Gilpin County Tramway Company, and we believe still held an interest in the sampling works at Black Hawk. H was elected Mayor of this city two years ago, and held other positions of honor and trust while a resident of this city. He leaves a wife and four children, besides his parents in California and relatives in Denver. His funeral will probably take place on Saturday next, and will be attended by a large delegation from this city, when a special train will be chartered. Having lost everything at the Cripple Creek fire on Saturday afternoon, the loss preyed upon him to such an extent that he threatened to commit suicide, but the offers of friends to assist him did not seem to divert his thoughts from that purpose. He carried considerable life insurance in favor of his family, which will leave them in comfortable circumstances.

Owing to the storm that struck the camp on Monday and continued Tuesday evening in Pine Creek District, work was almost entirely suspended, but yesterday the clouds cleared away, the sun came out bright again and by evening the snow was almost entirely gone. The stages came in again loaded down and the hotel accommodations are inadequate to the demand for beds.

Born: In Central City, April 24, 1896, to the wife of William Blamey, a daughter.

Born: In Central City, April 27, 1896, to the wife of Tony Wetzler, a daughter.

Born: In Central City, April 28, 1896, to the wife of I. N. Welch, a daughter.

Died: In Black Hawk, April 26, 1896, Winifred Maloney, aged 1 year 9 months, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. Maloney.

Died: At Short’s ranch, on the Golden road, April 28, 1896, Mrs. Mary Short, age 50 years. Interment will be made in Dory Hill Cemetery this Friday afternoon.

146 years ago – April 22, 1896

From the Weekly Central City Register: The snowfall in Canada the past winter, has been greater than that of any preceding winter since 1849. Between the 23rd of October and the 23rd of March, 165.58 inches, almost fourteen feet, of snow fell. The average fall, during the past twenty years has been 70.50 inches.

Messrs. Dunnegan & Ewers are said to have struck a wonderfully rich silver deposit somewhere in Gilson’s Gulch. They call it the “Velocipede.” Messrs. Cushman & Walcott are prospecting in the same vicinity with encouraging results.

A large ox train loaded with goods for people of this city, arrived here yesterday. The wagons had come through from Cheyenne without convert and the good were damaged to the amount of several hundred dollars. The loss is probably greater than on any lot since the days when freights came all the way from the Missouri river by teams.

Snow lifted lazily through the air all day yesterday, all the night before, and all the day before. Said a brisk old lady to her sleeping offspring, “Come, Milly, wake up! Here ’tis Monday and tomorrow’s Tuesday, next day’s Wednesday; three mortal days gone and not a thing done yet! Wake up, Milly, and help be do the washin’!”

3 recommended
bookmark icon