Turning back the pages  

ArgoGoldMine_IdahoSprings30 years ago – April 11, 1986

According to Gilpin County Commissioner Leslie Williams she has heard “through the grapevine” that the Mammoth dam will be blown up at 1:30 p.m. Saturday. She had not been officially notified as of Wednesday afternoon, as had been promised by the Forest Service. Williams said the sheriff’s department had been told by the Army, which is doing the demolition. Wednesday, the Army had equipment in the area opening up the road to the site, which is west of the old towns of Apex and American City. The dam is being removed since the state says it is unsafe.

Work on Tunnel #6 on U.S. 6 which is getting overhead lighting and Tunnel #4 and #5 which are getting delineators along the sides and down the middle of the road should be completed April 16. The overhead lighting for Tunnel #2 and the safety improvements for Tunnels #1 and #3 will commence the day after Tunnel #6 is completed, April 17. All of the tunnels being repaired and getting lights are on U.S. 6, west of Golden and proceeding toward Idaho Springs. When work begins on Tunnel #2, people traveling from Gilpin County to Golden will have to travel via I-70 or Highway 46 in Golden Gate Canyon, as U.S. 6 will be closed Sunday through Thursday nights from 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. from the junction of Highway 58 just west of Golden to the junction with Highway 119. The blasting being done to the east of Tunnel #2 is to widen and flatten out the curve at that location. Steel cribbing will be placed along the river bank, along with new guard rails at the roadside. Kiewit Western Company of Littleton, who is doing the work, plans to have U.S. 6 completely done by the end of April or possibly the first week of May.

Changes and rearrangements. The Register-Call is in the throes of several, so don’t be surprised at finding some new people involved in our operation. Claire Tanner, our ace reporter, is going to be taking over as acting editor for a while, since I need to take care of some personal business out of town. Jody Sousa has joined our staff to take over to Claire while she takes over for me. Also taking a leave of absence through the end of May is Debi George, our circulation manager. Taking over to Debi while she is away is Sharon Shamburg. Confused? So are we, but the Register-Call still plans on providing you, our readers, with a dandy little newspaper. Signed, Janet Davis.

Born: Ross and Susan Dicken of Black Hawk are the proud parents of a baby boy. Ross Hovis Dicken II was born April 8, 1986, at 4:08 p.m. at Rose Medical Center. He weighed six pounds 13 ounces, and measured 20 inches. The baby boy has one sister, 5 year old Megan. Maternal grandparents are Mr. and Mrs. Frederick H. Boyd of Gretna, Louisiana, and John W. Savannah of New Orleans, Louisiana. Paternal grandparents are Mr. and Mrs. Harry J. Dicken of Milan, Michigan.

60 years ago – April 13, 1956

  Two young men, one a student at Denver University and the other a G.I. from Fort Carson, were both hospitalized Sunday after a brutal and bloody fight in front of the Glory Hole Tavern in this city. Pfc. Jess Yocham, 28, is in the Fort Carson Hospital, and Paul Pytell, 21, of D.U. is in Colorado General Hospital in Denver, and his condition is considered critical. Both men are seriously injured, Yocham with bruises on his face and head, and Pytell with a fractured skull and broken left jaw, and numerous facial injuries. It has been almost impossible to gather accurate data on what took place, and the various rumors and statements by spectators, have been sifted down to what might be termed pertinent facts. The argument started in the tavern about 1:30 am Sunday morning, caused, perhaps, by both parties consuming a little too much “mountain dew.” Pytell strenuously objected to Yocham talking to his girlfriend and invited him outside, to which the latter readily agreed. In the fight that followed in front of the Armory Hall, Yocham was the better man and knocked his opponent down and when he regained his feet delivered a “haymaker” to the jaw, fracturing that part of his face and driving the jaw to the left side. During the melee the fists of Yocham hammered viciously on the head of Pytell until his face was bruised beyond all recognition. The fight then stopped and Yocham entered a car containing two other G.I’s, when five or more students pulled him out of the car, leaped on him, all pummeling and beating him. Yocham was holding his own, even though outnumbered, until he tripped on the step of the tavern and fell on the sidewalk, where he was kicked in the face and body by all the five students. Apparently tiring from their dastardly attack, the students allowed him to get to his feet, where he slumped over the hood of a car in a semi-conscious condition. Floyd Campbell, a deputy sheriff and Wm. Russell, Jr., also a deputy sheriff, then appeared on the scene and took Yocham to the county jail, more for protection than anything else, and attempted to get either Dr. Durham or Dr. Fowler in Idaho Springs. Dr. Fowler, however, asked that the injured man be brought to his office in Idaho Springs for emergency care, which was done, and he was immediately taken to the Doctor’s office by Max Robb, Campbell and McDowell, where over fifteen stitches were taken in his lip and face. Pytell was taken to Denver by his friends to Colorado General Hospital, where he is at the present time. Spectators claim it was the dirtiest and most cowardly attack by the D.U. students they had ever witness, and the university should well be proud of its students, and Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity should be elated over the cruelty practiced by its members. The fight was fair and there was no occasion for the dastardly way Yocham was treated. It was a most unfortunate affair and it is hoped nothing of a similar nature will again occur here, particularly in such a rotten way. The Provost Marshal of the Military Police says that starting this coming Saturday, two members of the Military Police will be here each Saturday and Sunday until after Labor Day, which is exceptionally good news.

Mrs. Wihlamina Lind, aged 81, died in Los Alkos, California last week and interment was in the city cemetery. She was born in Central City, and her maiden name was Carlson. She is survived by three daughters and two sons, and nine grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.

Miss Marjorie Quiller and Mrs. Earl Quiller entertained their papa and husband on his birthday at a dinner at El Rancho, Sunday.

Mrs. Carl Skagerberg attended the Delta Zeta Alumnae meeting last Tuesday evening at the home of Mrs. Douglas McCluskie in Cherry Hills Village.

Mrs. Lettie Gray and Mrs. Mary Blake attended a Navy Mothers meeting Tuesday evening at the home of Mrs. F. H.. Starr in Idaho Springs.

90 years ago – April 16, 1926

  Tom Mix in “The Everlasting Whisper,” in six reels, and a Fox News reel will be the picture program at the Opera House Saturday evening, April 17th.

An optimist is one who treats a dollar as if it were a dime, and he who looks upon a dime as a dollar is merely a tightwad.

Dr. C. E. Burke, the dentist of Denver, who made regular visits to this city last year, has an announcement in our columns this week, to the effect that he will be at room 76, Teller House, every other Saturday, beginning April 17th. Those in need of dental work, will make note of the above.

A.C. Thomas had his foot examined while in Denver on Sunday and two bones were found to be broken.

Gus Grutzmacher and wife, who had been in California for the winter visiting relatives, returned to Central on Saturday evening last, with the intention of remaining here for the present.

Sunday, thermometers registered 7 above zero, extremely cold for April. Wednesday registered 9 above.

Ed Lindquist and wife returned Friday evening from a two month vacation trip, which they spent in Arizona and the Pacific coast.

Miss Anna Bennett left for Denver Monday morning to represent the Gilpin County grade schools at the state spelling match held in Denver during the week.

Mr. J. D. Richards, who was seriously ill with an attack of the flu, is now convalescing rapidly, which will be pleasing news to his many friends.

Died: A letter received from Mr. Arthur Taylor, of Chicago, brings the sad news of the death of his son, Arthur C. Taylor, at Galesburg, Illinois, on March 23rd, from an attack of the “flu” and pneumonia. The young man was in Central City in 1920, and assisted his father in the construction of the shaft house on the Homer Mine, which Mr. Taylor was operating for Chicago parties, and met with many of the young folks of the city, who will be grieved to read of his death. At the time of his death, he was the traveling representative for the General Motors Acceptance Corporation and was quoted and recognized as one of the best men the company had in that department. He was the only son of Mr. Arthur and Annie M. Taylor, and the many friends of the couple in Gilpin County tender their heartfelt sympathy and condolence in the sad bereavement that has fallen to their lot. The remains were taken to Chicago and laid at rest in the Arcacia Park Cemetery.

Mother: There is far too much rouge on your lips dear. Daughter: Oh, well, mother, the evening is young yet.

120 years ago – April 10, 1896

  About 100 couples were on the floor at the Turner Hall at 9 o’clock last Monday evening at the Easter Dance given by the members of the Rocky Mountain Turn Verein Band, when the master of ceremonies called out for “gents, select your partners.” The grand march was led by Mr. P. Dailey and Miss Mary Brannagan, special music for the grand march being furnished by the full strength of the brass band. From this time on to the hour of 2 a.m., dancing was kept up incessantly, save for the intermission of a delightful supper, which was served at the hour of midnight, and to which many of the fair dancers and their escorts did ample justice. A large number of Black Hawk and Nevadaville parties were present and everyone voted it one of the most successful and best managed affairs of the season. The orchestra acquitted themselves with great credit, as also did the entire band, which played a few selections, and whenever the R.M.T.V. Band gives another dance or social affair they may be always sure of a large attendance if the crowd on Monday night was any criterion.

The Opera House will hereafter be lighted by electric lights, the contract having been given for putting the same in. Manager Humphrey says that he intends to have some first class shows appear at the Opera House, which fact will be appreciated by the general public.

A large number of Gilpinites went to Denver on Saturday to spent Easter Sunday in the Queen City, and incidentally to attend divine worship.

P.H. Balfe, of Denver, came up on Monday. Mr. Balfe is recognized as the champion hammer thrower of the state, and will be remembered as having participated in the games here last Fourth of July.

The roads between Central City and Pine Creek are in good condition, the snow being off them, but it is on the hills around Apex that the difficulty exists, owing to the snow having piled itself up in these roads, and left them in bad shape for any traffic being carried on. Such conditions are to be met with mostly on the hills between Apex and Elk Park, but these will not last long, providing that no more storms occur, as the snow is quickly disappearing. The snow has hindered a number of shipments being made, but this will not long be the case, if the present state of weather continues.

Born: April 9th, 1896, to the wife of Charles Philipps, Central City, a son. The new arrival is a 10 pound alderman, and the happy father is setting up the cigars to his friends. Mother and son are both doing well.

Born: In Central City, April 6th, 1896, to the wife of H. Peck, a son.

Born: In Gilson Gulch, April 8th, 1896, to the wife of Bartolo Albazini, a son.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button