Turning Back the Pages

• Bookmarks: 3

30 years ago – November 22, 1985

The Gilpin County RE-1 school board reached a $10,000 settlement agreement with the school’s former librarian, Carolyn Hansen, on November 14. Hansen was the school librarian for five years until she was terminated at the end of the school year in 1984. According to Superintendent Fred Meyers, she was a tenured teacher. He said the tenure law states that a teacher has a contract to teach at a school after three years. Last year, Meyers recommended to the school board that Hansen be fired. The reasons why she was fired were not disclosed. This week, Meyers said school officials believed that Hansen was not meeting her job responsibilities, and Dan Ryan, school principal, had observed her not meeting those responsibilities. Additional terms of the agreement are that the board agrees to withdraw its challenge to unemployment compensation. Meyers said Hansen applied for unemployment after she was terminated and the board was challenging her request. The board’s decision to withdraw now gives Hansen the opportunity to collect unemployment, Meyers said. The settlement agreement also stipulates that the school will verify only the date Hansen was employed at the school, rate of pay and that her performance was satisfactory in regard to employment inquiries. Hansen, in turn, agrees to resign from her position and agrees to not pursue any further legal action. Meyers said Hansen was represented by an attorney from the Colorado Education Association. She is a member of the association and, therefore, has legal recourse through it, he said.

It was frightening to think that anyone might have been inside a house in Pinecliffe when it caught fire Tuesday, but that is exactly what the Gilpin County Sheriff’s Department first suspected. The dispatcher on duty Tuesday morning at 8:20 a.m. received a call that a house in Pinecliffe was on fire. Before the High Country Volunteer Fire Department arrived on scene, which was only in a matter of minutes, the house was engulfed in flames. Undersheriff David Martinez at first thought the owner of the house, William Harman, might be inside it. Harman’s pickup was parked only a short distance away and as far as anyone knew, he was inside the house. After questioning several neighbors, Martinez found out that Harman had left the house with a friend about 7:00 a.m. that morning. Later Tuesday, a friend of Harman’s notified the sheriff’s department that Harman had been in Boulder and was fine. After the fire was extinguished, little remained of the house or the possessions inside. High winds and the cold temperature caused the water used to extinguish the blaze to turn to icicles in only a short time. Martinez said Wednesday that Harman lived alone in the house. He said the cause of the fire was probably due to a top-loading wood stove in the house. Martinez did not know if the house was insured or not. The fire is still under investigation by the Gilpin County Sheriff’s Department.

Ferucio “Fred” Dallapietra passed away at the American Cancer Research Center in Denver on November 15, 1985. He was 84 years old. Dallapietra was born on March 5, 1901, in Trentio, Italy. His parents were Antonio and Vittoria Pissini Dallapietra. He attended grade school in Italy. In 1921, he came to America and lived in Russell Gulch in Gilpin County. He became a naturalized citizen of the United States in 1932. He worked in Gilpin County as a hard rock miner. He was also a bartender at the Toll Gate Saloon in Central City. He did general maintenance for the City of Central Water Works and retired from the city in the 1970s. Dallapietra resided in Gilpin County, primarily Russell Gulch and Central City, from 1921 until 1983. For health reasons, he lived in Denver the last two years of his life. Mass of Christian burial was held at St. Mary’s Catholic Church on November 19. He was buried at Bald Mountain Cemetery. Survivors include his daughter, Anne Gruda of Denver, his sister, Gissella Casagranda of Italy; three granddaughters, Mary Beeson of Boulder, Linda Story and Vicki Gruda, both of Denver; two great grandsons, Mark and Matthew Beeson of Boulder; and his ex-wife Mary Dallapietra who is 103 years old and living in Denver.

60 years ago – November 25, 1955

The Register-Call went to press a day earlier this week on account of because it is Thanksgiving, and the office force much prefer the aroma of turkey and pies rather than the sharp smell of printer’s ink. There is an abundance of legal publications this week and should be interesting reading.

Mrs. Wm. Ziege spent several days in Denver the first of the week, leaving “Bike” at home to enjoy the television set which they recently purchased. He says that he has placed a dead line on the set until ten o’ clock in the evening, as he needs his beauty sleep. They expect relatives from Boulder to spend Thanksgiving here.

Oscar Williams intends to spend turkey day in Denver with his daughter and family, that is, if the weather is warm and comfortable, and no slippery roads for his Cadillac.

Frank Warren was taken to Colorado General Hospital in Denver, Sunday evening, to receive medical treatment. Reports received Tuesday that he was much improved.

Claude McKay, after hobnobbing with all the big shots in Denver for the past ten days, returned home Saturday evening.

Mr. Jack Turner was in Golden Saturday attending Homecoming Day at School of Mines of which he is a member of the Alumni.

The Black Hawk Grocery, formerly owned by Mr. Avery Rich has been sold to Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Meyer of Denver.

Thanksgiving Day guests at the Melvin Blakes were Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth McKenzie and Mr. and Mrs. Otto M. Blake.

Mr. Wm. Mason who has been ill in Denver is reported to be improving satisfactorily.

Ray and Bud Klein went to the city Friday to see their brother-in-law, Lawrence Doeling, who is in Mercy Hospital with a broken back as a result of falling on the ice near his home in Denver.

90 years ago – November 27, 1925

Thermometers Friday stood at 2 degrees above zero, Saturday at 6 above, and Wednesday at 26 above. The worst wind this fall visited here on Sunday.

Leroy J. Williams came up from Denver Sunday evening on legal business, returning Tuesday morning.

Mr. C.J. Hancock, representing the Public Service Company of Colorado, was over from Idaho Springs the first of the week in the interests of his company.

Mr. A.M. Fairchild of Black Hawk and Henry Stahl, of this city, left for Colorado Springs Saturday morning to attend the annual district meeting of exalted rulers and secretaries of Elks lodges in Colorado, returning home Monday evening.

William Scholl, of this city, is suffering from a severe attack of pneumonia. He is at the Teller House and is being looked after by the Elks Lodge of this city.

Oscar Williams and wife motored up to Denver Thursday morning to be the guests of his mother in Denver at turkey dinner that afternoon.

Neil McKay boarded the lightning express Thursday morning for Denver, to enjoy a fine turkey spread with his son, Reuban and wife.

Mrs. P. Zancanella left Saturday for Wyoming, where the family may decide to remain.

Wm. Grenfell returned from Arvada Monday and reports Mrs. Grenfell as improving from her recent sick spell.

The Davis house is now occupied by the Griffith families and Mrs. Wilson.

Miss Mary Pallaro has recovered from her recent illness and will be able to attend school again next week.

Work is being carried on at the Becky Sharpe Mine with two shifts at work developing the property.

RECIPE: How to Make Spiced Apple Jelly: Take one peck of tart apples, one half cupful of spices, using cinnamon, cloves and all spice and a little mace if liked. Put the spices into a bag and cook with the apples in equal parts of vinegar and water—enough to cook well. When the apples are soft, drain in a jelly bag. Boil the juice with a little less sugar than juice, heating the sugar first. Pour into jelly glasses when jellied and cover with paraffin when cool. Recipe by Nellie Maxwell:

120 years ago – November 22, 1895

During the wind storm last Monday morning, Mr. Whedon, of the Clear Creek and Pine Creek placer mines, in passing up Eureka Street, luckily escaped serious injury. A large-sized piece of roofing from some building came whizzing along in the air. Mr. Whedon, realizing his danger, made a spring into the street, and the flying roofing landed in front of the express office, alongside the walk. It is better to be born lucky than rich—especially so in his case.

The concert given on Saturday evening last at the People’s Theatre by Miss Louise Tyler and Mr. and Mrs. F.M. English, of Denver, was not as largely attended as the merits of the performers justified. Miss Tyler is an accomplished lady and one of the best violinists in the state, while the parts assigned to Mr. and Mrs. English were rendered in an excellent manner, and received worthy recognition from the audience. Miss Tyler’s playing was first class in every respect, and with the coming years of practice she is destined to make her mark in the world. The entire programme was heartily enjoyed and fully appreciated.

Born: At Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, November 14th, 1895, to the wife of Captain J.S. Rogers, of the 26th United States Infantry, a son. The gallant captain is very proud of his new recruit. Mother and son getting along nicely. The father now steps with a military tread more dignified than ever.

Born: In Nevadaville, November 21st, 1895, to the wife of Henry Trezise, a son.

Died: In Central City, November 16th, 1895, Thomas McCallister, aged 55 years, 8 months and 1 day. Deceased was born in Pike County, Illinois, March 14, 1840, where he was raised until his parents removed to Council Hill, Joe Davies County, Illinois. At the age of 24 years he left the prairie state for Colorado, since which time he had resided in Gilpin County, arriving here in 1864. He had followed mining as an avocation since arriving here. He leaves a wife and four children, two daughters and two sons. He was a brother of the late Mrs. Judge Richard Harvey, brother of Mr. J.C. McCallister and Mr. John McCallister of this city. His father, the late “Squire” McCallister, preceded him to the grave several years. His mother died at the old homestead at Council Hill before his father came to Central City. He was a man of quiet and reserved disposition. The obsequies took place last Monday afternoon from St. James Methodist Church. Interment in the city cemetery.

Died: In Central City, November 20th, 1895, Henry Garlick, aged 52 years, of miner’s disease. Deceased came to Colorado in the early sixties from Wisconsin. He remained here until the gold excitement in South Dakota, and in 1876 left here for Deadwood. After engaging in mining at that place, he returned to Central and made it his place of residence ever since. He served the people of this city in various positions, among them that of treasurer. He was a native of England, his parents locating in Wisconsin, from which state he immigrated to Colorado. He leaves a wife and five children and other relatives in Central and Black Hawk. The funeral occurred this afternoon from his late residents at 12 o’clock. Interment was made in the city cemetery.

Died: In this city, November 15th, 1895, Mrs. Mary Ann Wennan, aged 53 years. The funeral occurred on Monday afternoon at 2 o’clock from the Methodist Church in this city.

3 recommended
bookmark icon