Turning Back the Pages

CentralCityGang0811_0130 years ago – October 4, 1985

A volunteer firefighter was injured early Monday morning when one of the oldest houses in the north end of Gilpin County was totally destroyed by a fire. The owner of the house in Rollinsville, Champ Harbert, woke up early in the morning and could smell smoke in the house. At the same time, a Nederland firefighter who was on his way to work saw flames coming from the house. The dispatcher at the Gilpin County Sheriff’s Department was notified of the fire at 6:57 a.m. Within 10 minutes, five fire trucks from the High Country Volunteer Fire Department and about 15 firefighters arrived at the scene. According to Assistant Fire Chief Fran Etzkorn, the house was totally engulfed in flames upon their arrival. The fire was probably caused by an overheated chimney, Etzkorn said Tuesday. It started in the chimney-attic area, but it is difficult at this point to know the exact origin of the fire. Etzkorn said that Harbert and his wife said they had the chimney cleaned about a week before the fire. Sharon Peyrouse, one of the firefighters at the scene, was bent over near the house when the chimney fell on her. Etzkorn said the firefighting gear Peyrouse was wearing saved her from being more seriously hurt. The helmet she was wearing can no longer be used. Bricks from the chimney hit her on the head and back. Peyrouse was transported to Boulder Community Hospital by the Gilpin County ambulance service. Etzkorn said Peyrouse is seriously bruised and has sore muscles and tissues. Tuesday, it was unknown when she would be released from the hospital. Peyrouse had just graduated from the firefighter classes a week ago, Etzkorn said. Peyrouse told Etzkorn this week that she will continue to be an active member of the fire department. The dollar amount of the loss of the totally destroyed house is unknown. The house was insured, Etzkorn said, but Rollinsville is not in any fire department’s district. High Country Volunteer Fire Department did not have to respond to the fire, but it did. A benefit for the Harberts is being held tonight (Friday) at the Stage Stop Inn in Rollinsville starting at 9:00 p.m. Music for the benefit will be performed by the Hardly Heard Band and the Mountain Musicians Guild. All proceeds will be donated to the Harberts.

The Gilpin County RE-1 School unexpectedly closed on Monday and again on Tuesday. A number of parents were not notified that their children would not be attending school on Monday. The school buses picked up the children in the morning and a short time later returned them to their homes. For many children, arrangements had not been made for them to return home, and some children did not have any place to go for the day. Robert Bell, an employee of Black Hawk Hardware, said he opened up a “type of daycare” at the store for three children on Monday. He said, “There was no way the kids could be sent home because they had no place to go.” School Superintendent Fred Meyers said that as of Sunday he was notified that the school had water and that the water was safe. Monday morning the cooks at the school informed him that there was not any water. Meyers said that at first he through the valve was shut off for the school’s water supply. He said he had “no knowledge” of the school being out of water and it turned out to be “a larger problem that it was thought” to be. The water supply at the school is not expected to return to normal until next week. According to Meyers, the week before, arrangements had been made with the contractor working on the school additions to install a water main and lower the pipes into the ground to prevent the pipes from freezing. He said, “This was the weekend we scheduled it.” Wednesday, the school had one third to one half of a tank of water. Meyers said that instead of the estimated 6,000 gallons of water needed to flush the pipes, approximately 25,000 gallons of water were used. Meyers said school will be held today (Friday) because the students did not have school Monday and Tuesday. He is talking to the state about the children missing school for two days. He was not sure Wednesday if the children will need to attend school on another day for the other one that was missed.

60 years ago – October 7, 1955

  A deal is being negotiated wherein the Gilpin County Freight Line will be taken over by Idaho Springs parties next week. This particular line, under the management of Normal Blake, has been in operation for several years and has been efficient, and courteous in all his deliveries from Denver, and we regret that he finds it necessary to sell. To the new owners we wish success.

Mrs. Gladys Erickson was called to Greeley Wednesday morning on account of the death of her father, who had been ill for many months. Sympathy of the community is extended her and her family.

Mrs. Nora Scott was in Denver over the weekend visiting her husband, Walter, who has been on the sick list for several months past. She reports “Scotty” as convalescing, so much so that he attended to matters of business in his office as State Commissioner of Mines on Saturday.

The aspens are now in all their autumn glory with the golden tint predominating, and as we gaze upon their beauty, we cannot help but wonder the way nature does its work. The cafes and taverns are open, and a trip here does much to anyone to see the splendor of autumn and God’s handiwork. So come up to Central City and enjoy this wonderful scene.

Mayor Frank Fleiss has been in Denver during the illness and death of his sister, Mrs. Katherine Goodwin, who passed away Monday night. The funeral will be held Friday at St. John’s Catholic Church.

Mr. Chas. Burdell, a former resident of Smith Hill, was up from Golden, Saturday renewing old acquaintances.

Mrs. Dallas Howard (Helen Fritz) is recovering satisfactorily from a major operation performed last week at Presbyterian Hospital.

Mrs. Jennie Zancanella has been on the sick list for the past several days.

Among those attending the Ice Follies in Denver, Wednesday evening were: Mr. and Mrs. Andy Eccker, Mrs. Mary Ann Eccker, Mrs. Orville Gardner, Mrs. Luella Fritz, Mrs. Emma Eccker, Miss Katherine Eccker and Mrs. Mertrand Mattivi.

90 years ago – October 9, 1925

The autumn is the most delightful season of the year. A spirit of romance pervades it, nature puts on her coat of many colors and most of us ordinary mortals, if we will confess it, feel a quickening of the pulse when the leaves begin to fall and darkness comes before supper. One has but to recall the days of boyhood for an explanation of this fall romanticism. Ask any boy his views and his face will light up with pleasure as he dreams of the Saturday holidays when he can hunt and thrill at the sight of the end runs and the smashing line plays on the football field. Fall is a time not alone for enjoyment of the outdoors; it is also a time for reflection and sober thought. It is a season for gathering about the fireplace as the shadows lengthen to renew family ties that are weakened by the summer vacation season. Autumn seems sad and melancholy, as nature, like the hand of death, withers vegetation. But it is also a time for joy, because it ushers in a period when we have more time indoors for self-improvement and enjoyment of the substantial things of life.

Edmund Lowe in “Champion of Lost Causes” and a Fox News reel will be the picture program at the opera house on Saturday evening, October 10.

Since the change in railroad service and only one train arrives daily, the Denver papers do not arrive until evening, and when this fact was brought to the attention of the Denver Post, that enterprising firm sent up one of their trucks with the Sunday morning papers, for this city and Black Hawk, arriving here shortly after seven a.m., the earliest those papers have ever arrived here. The prospects are that the papers will come up every Sunday morning hereafter.

The open season for deer hunting commences on Monday next, lasting four days which includes Thursday. All of the sportsmen in this vicinity are getting ready for the occasion, and from talk heard on the street, there will be venison galore for all our people.

A dense fog covered the mountains Monday night, accompanied by rain, but the weather was warm and the expected snow storm failed to show up. The fog stayed with us during Tuesday and Tuesday night, but Wednesday morning, the clerk of the weather took pity on us and switched on the bright sunlight, which was appreciated.

To Make a War on Ants: As an effective poisonous bait for ants, moisten a sponge or a piece of bread with a syrup made by dissolving an ounce of sugar and ten grains of arsenate of soda in two ounces of hot water. Some ants may even carry the poisoned liquid back to the nest, resulting eventually in the destruction of the entire colony. The employment of this effective bait, if used with care, may replace the applications of the many insecticidal preparations, which, principally on account of the odor they impart, cannot be conveniently employed.

To Make Cream Dumplings by Nellie Maxwell: Sift two cups of pastry flour with three teaspoons of baking powder and one half teaspoonful of salt. Add enough thin cream to make a soft dough to drop from a spoon – about three fourths of a cupful – sour cream with an eighth of a teaspoonful of soda stirred into it will give a most tasty flavor. Drop each dumpling on to pieces of meat to hold it up from the liquid and cover closely to steam. Cook about 12 minutes, depending upon the size of the dumplings. Dropped from a teaspoon, eight minutes is sufficient.

120 years ago – October 4, 1895

On Saturday morning last the bodies of Martin Ricono and Steve Vallero were found near the 500-foot level in the Sleepy Hollow Mine, the former on a plat about ten feet above that level and the latter in the level. Vallero, when found, was destitute of all clothing excepting two shirts, and the belief is that becoming hemmed in by the water he divested himself of his heavy clothing with the intention of swimming to a place of safety, but the deadly gases cut off all chances, and he succumbed to the inevitable. These two men were working in the west 500-foot level when the water broke in on them and when found were in the east level, having climbed down a winze and crossed over the shaft to that level. The bodies were brought back to the surface about 8 o’clock in the morning, were viewed by Coroner Parenteau and the jury, after which they were taken in charge by undertaker Ed. L. Harris, who placed them in proper shape for burial, the funeral occurring that afternoon from the Catholic Church. The water in this mine, yesterday evening, was 30 feet 7 inches below the 500-foot level, and there is 38 feet 5 inches yet to be hoisted before the 600-foot level can be reached. From that point to the 700-foot level, where all the men remaining in the mine will probably be found, with the exception of young Prisk, who is expected to be found on the back of the 600-foot level, there are no great openings, and in twenty four hours’ time the water can be hoisted after the 600-foot level is reached, to the bottom, and if no accident or delay intervenes, that point will be reached by a week from tomorrow. In the Americus Mine the two bodies will probably be reached within another week, as good progress is being made in lowering the water in that property. The water in the incline yesterday morning was down 470 feet, and by tomorrow it will be down below a point where it comes into the Fiske Mine. The pump is doing excellent work and throwing a big stream.

Chief of the Central City Fire Department Peter Sonne, says that the autumnal glory of a Canyon City orchard is truly inspiring. An hour on a wheel near the city reveals thousands of trees loaded with luscious fruit until their branches bend to the ground or break with the great weight.

Mr. Angus Campbell, one of the trusted employees of McFarlane & Co., this city, packed his grip and canteen attachment last Wednesday and took the afternoon train for Denver, whence he goes to a point near Portland, Oregon. Angus will assist in the erection of a stamp mill in a new mining camp, which McFarlane & Co. have the contract to build. The mill will be one of the rapid drop pattern. It will be supplied with the latest methods for amalgamation and saving of the concentrates.

A flutter of excitement was caused last Friday evening by the blowing of a number of steam whistles at the stamp mills and on mines in Nevada District. Many in this city thought it was a signal of distress. It turned out, however, that a prominent business man of Nevadaville was married the preceding Wednesday in Denver. Those on the alert for the arrival of the bride and groom in the Town of Mines chanced to see a closed carriage driving up Main Street, and in honor of their return gave them a welcome. But they were disappointed in this, as the looked-for parties did not arrive until the following morning. Some of the boys feel pretty cheap over being fooled.

Born: In Central City, September 30th, 1895, to the wife of Mitchell Griffith, a son. Although the father walks with a crutch through being thrown from a load of hay a few days ago, after a call on the Denver Messiah and the above event, he is as happy as a meadow lark. Mother and son getting along well.

Died: In Denver, September 26th, 1895, of miner’s disease, W.T. Bennetts, aged 36 years, native of England. Deceased was well and favorably known in this county, especially so in Nevadaville, where he had resided for a number of years and was engaged in mining. At the time of his death he was a member of the pool operating under lease the Ophir-Burroughs and Conlee-Burroughs, being instrumental in the consolidation of the two properties. Becoming disabled through the disease which caused his death, from working underground any longer, he went to Denver in July last, where he anticipated relief, his wife going there in August last. He leaves a family of four children in addition to his wife. He was a Past Noble Grand of Nevada Lodge No. 4, Independent Order Odd Fellows, as well as a member of the Knights of Pythias. His remains arrived on Saturday morning’s passenger train, and were met by an escort of the lodges of which he was a member and taken to Nevadaville. The funeral occurred last Sunday afternoon from the Centennial Methodist Church at 1:30 o’clock, under the auspices of the Odd Fellows.

Died: In Denver, September 30th, 1895, Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Hooper of this city, in the 50th year of her age. Sheriff Hooper was summoned to Denver Sunday, owing to the illness of his wife, who has been an invalid for a number of years, having met with a relapse. Her body was embalmed in Denver and brought here Tuesday on the morning passenger train, and was taken to the residence of Mr. George Boughton, on East High Street. The funeral occurred from St. James Methodist Church Wednesday afternoon. The obsequies were well attended. Interment was made in the Odd Fellows Cemetery alongside her two sons and the late Dr. Hooper, father of her husband. Deceased was married to her husband in 1866, shortly after the close of the War of the Rebellion. Two sons, Thomas Jr. and George preceded her to the grave some years ago. She leaves a sorrowing husband and daughter to mourn the loss of a kind wife and mother, who have the sincere condolence of a large circle of friends in their bereavement.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button