Turning Back the Pages

Milda_070215_630 years ago – September 27, 1985

Jo Lasley, 14, is five feet tall and 92 pounds. Prior to Wednesday, she had a desire to play on the Gilpin County RE-1 School football team. When asked why she wanted to play football she said, “I have liked football for a long time and I basically wanted to see if I could do it.” At the beginning of this week, Lasley caught a cold and as of Wednesday night she decided to quit the team because it was more than she physically could handle. Had Lasley decided to continue practicing for the football team, she would not have been qualified to play in the school games until she attended the required number of practices. Barry Wood, the football coach, said she had attended four practices. It is a requirement of all members of the team that they attend nine practice sessions before participating in the games. A lawsuit filed in a Denver federal court by Lasley’s mother, Pat Cohen, against the Colorado High School Activities Association and Dan Ryan, the RE-1 principal, will be dropped, Cohen said. The lawsuit was originally filed on September 20 against the CHSAA and Ryan primarily because the school was informed it would be disqualified from competition in all sports if Lasley was allowed to play on the team. Cohen said Ryan was secondary in the lawsuit. Wood and Ryan did not object to Lasley playing on the team. Cohen said, “Dan (Ryan) is very supportive of her playing.” Lasley said Wednesday that “it is hard, because of my size, to be effective” when she attended the afternoon practices.

Make that two people who have been retrieved from mine shafts during September in Gilpin County, after suffering only minor injuries. The most recent incident occurred on Saturday, September 21, at a mine near Russell Gulch. After falling an estimated 80 feet into the mine, Robbie Smith, 22, of Wheat Ridge was rescued by Van Cullar and John Starkey, along with a number of other locals. According to the report prepared by Gilpin Undersheriff David Martinez, Smith had tried to climb down a piece of cord into the shaft when he slipped and fell. Two people that were with Smith at the time reported the accident to the sheriff’s department. Upon arriving at the scene, Martinez could call down to Smith but could not see him. Smith thought he had a broken arm and a broken jaw. Emergency medical technician Dick Allen of the Gilpin County ambulance service confirmed that Smith did have a broken arm. After being removed from the shaft, Smith was transported to Lutheran Medical Center in Wheat Ridge. Martinez reported that Smith was allegedly drinking 80-proof alcohol prior to climbing down the shaft. Earlier this month a woman and her motorcycle were retrieved from a mine shaft south of Russel Gulch.

Eiven and Jean Jacobson, 50 years! Jean and Eiven Jacobson eloped to Littleton 50 years ago. Their golden wedding anniversary was Wednesday, September 25. The Jacobsons, who make their home in Gilpin County, celebrated the occasion last Sunday night at the Briarwood in Golden. Along with the couple were Jean Jacobson’s cousins and their husbands, Ida May and Jack Birtwhistle of Stockton, California, and Betty and Jim Hamlin of Playa Del Rey, California. Congratulations are in order for the Jacobsons!

Richard Ihme – 1965-1985: Richard “Rich” Leo Ihme, previously of Gilpin County, passed away at Children’s Hospital in Denver on September 21, 1985, after fighting leukemia for several years. He was 20 years old. Ihme was born in Kansas City, Missouri, on January 26, 1965. He attended Gilpin County RE-1 School for a portion of his freshman year in school and all of his junior and senior years. He was a 1983 graduate of the school. Survivors include his mother, Barbara Henderson of Littleton; his father, Norman Ihme of Fort Collins; four brothers, Mark Ihme of Denver, Norman, Steve, and Tom Ihme, all of Fort Collins; his grandparents, Ethel and Don Henderson of Cushing, Oklahoma, and Mary and Norman Ihme of Englewood; and his step-parents, Kathleen Ihme of Fort Collins and Richard Henderson of Littleton. Ihme was buried at the Hampden Estates Mausoleum in Denver.

Frederick J. Werschky: Word has been received of the death of Frederick J. Werschky of Denver, the father of Black Hawk City Councilman Jim Werschky. Services will be held today at 1:00 p.m. at the University Hills Lutheran Church, Denver.

60 years ago – September 30, 1955

From the Editor: I am wondering if the members of the City Council are men or mice. Obviously the latter. During the summer this paper has respectfully asked and advocated that loud speakers on Main Street be obliterated. No action was taken and raucous sounds continued to pour forth from early morning until the small hours of the following day. Why? Now another question comes up, that being the repair of the roads leading to the High Streets, particularly St. James and County Road. Due to the flash floods during the summer, these streets are in a most deplorable condition, but not one rock has been raked from them. Mayor Ramstetter informed me that no money is available to make these necessary improvements, yet the Council authorized payment of wages to a Denver traffic officer, now retired, to an amount of close to one thousand dollars, for services in walking three or four blocks attempting to find a traffic violation. I understand this retired officer, who commuted from Denver each day, was responsible for the collection of less than two hundred dollars in fines, although he stated he would earn his salary three times over. Did he? But that is water under the bridge and the residents of the upper High Streets demand that some action be taken and roads be repaired before winter. This is no reflection on Street and Water Commissioner, Joe Menegatti, as he has plenty of work to keeping the water lines in shape, but it is meant as a reflection on the City Council for their lackadaisical manner in ignoring various needed improvements in the city. County trucks will cooperate with this work if a request is made to County Commissioner Martin Nelson, who has always been most helpful in helping Central City in its dilemma. “Oh Consistency, thou art a jewel.”

Mrs. Perl Neff and Mrs. Lettie Gray left Wednesday for a three day trip to the western slope where they will visit friends.

Mrs. Wagner, Marion Heeren and Madelyn MacFarland drove to Boulder Sunday.

Mr. and Mrs. Louis Carter and Mr. and Mrs. L.J. Williams enjoyed a dinner at Heidi Chalet last Tuesday evening. The occasion was the 30th wedding anniversary of the Carters.

Mr. and Mrs. Milo Fisher celebrated their 18th wedding anniversary last Sunday.

Jack Frost has made his yearly visit here and the aspens and willows are now a profusion of radiant colors, blending from the orange and red to the lesser shades of green, and mingling with the deep green of the pines, makes a most beautiful picture. This is the season of the year that reminds us of “the melancholy days have come, but visitors here will be enraptured with the beauty.”

The first snow fell Saturday evening. A very wet one but the trees didn’t break.

90 years ago – October 2, 1925

From Denver, to the Editor of the Register-Call: You have heard, undoubtedly, that the Nirvana Art Photoplay Corporation will begin the production of its first picture, “The Law of Karma,” to be screened in three acts out of five in Black Hawk and Central City. Last Saturday our Producing Manager was up the second time, with the location managers and photographers to select the places best suited to make the first fifteen scenes. The reception given them by your city officials, in Black Hawk and Central City, has been so highly appreciated that we take this as a method of making our appreciation known through your valuable newspaper. We have been assured that the people of Black Hawk and Central City will contribute their share to give atmosphere to the pictures, and we have been told that miners and their women folks will voluntarily get into the mass scenes to be screened. They have to be dressed in the garments as in days when the towns started, when Black Hawk and Central City were the richest places in the State of Colorado, when the wealth contributed by the miners and their folks gave the strongest impetus to make Colorado’s progress and industrial advancement. As it will be necessary for the undersigned to be in Black Hawk and Central City on Friday to make all preparations I shall be pleased to make your personal acquaintance and talk things over. We would highly appreciate your further courtesy in bringing an advance note of our coming in your paper and thereby oblige, Yours Very Truly, J.C. Stewart, Secretary, Nirvana Art Photoplay Corporation.

Tom Mix in “The Deadwood Coach” and a Fox News reel will be the pictures shown at the Opera House Saturday evening, October 3rd.

The condition of Mrs. Mary Mills, who was struck by an auto Saturday evening, while walking across the bridge on Washington Avenue, near the Dollison home, is much better. The Golden woman, 81 years of age, was knocked down by the machine and her right arm was broken in two places, her left arm was also broken and her head was cut. The driver drove off and has not been apprehended. Lying practically unconscious on the road, she was found by Misses Rose and Ernestine Klein, and was removed to the J.H. Owen home, where Dr. Kemble attended her. She is now resting at the Robert H. Roberts home on Ninth Street.

Death of Elias Goldman: We received a letter Wednesday evening from Mrs. Carrie Goldman Faulk, of New York City, a daughter of Mr. Elias Goldman, announcing his death on Saturday, Sept. 25, at the age of 87 years. She said he had been ill for the past eight months, the last two months at their summer home at White Plains, New York, where he felt much improved, and on their return to New York he had a heart attack which ended in pneumonia, which was the direct cause of his death. He was buried by the Lafayette lodge of Masons, of which order he had been a member since 1866. Mr. Goldman came to this city about 1868 and started in business which he conducted until about twelve years ago, when he and his wife went to New York to make their home with their daughters. He was well known throughout the county and left a host of friends still residing here, who will be surprised to hear of his passing away. He is survived by his widow and daughter.

120 years ago – September 27, 1895

Shortly after our last week’s issue had gone to press, information was sent to this office that the body of Thomas Williams had been found just below the 400-foot level in the Sleepy Hollow Mine. Undertaker Ed. L. Harris, Coroner Wm. Parenteau and James Dorris, with a casket left for the mine where a large crowd had congregated, anxious to know whose body had been found. The coroner and undertaker were lowered to the 400-foot level and the body, which had not been moved since discovered, was found lying on the dirt about sixteen feet below this level. A rope was lowered and the body hoisted to the surface, where it was easily identified as that of Thomas Williams, no great change having taken place in his appearance, considering the length of time he had been under water. The funeral occurred Saturday afternoon, the church being crowded with relatives and friends of the unfortunate man, whose life went out while working to help a fellow miner, Mr. Henry Prisk, to a place of safety. These two miners had succeeded in climbing up to within twenty feet of the 400 foot level, where a pole was found standing, which reached to the floor of that level, and with the assistance of William Prisk was enabled to reach that level and was rescued. Whether from over exertion in assisting Mr. Prisk, or from the effects of bad air and gas that the water brought with it, Mr. Williams was unable to climb up the pole, and when found was lying at the bottom of it. He had removed his boots to make his climbing easier, and when found was barefooted, and but a few feet from where Mr. Prisk had left him over three weeks ago. This is the first body that has been recovered since the accident happened and the prospects are that several more will be reached before the first of the coming week. Up to yesterday noon the water in the incline shaft on the Gregory had been lowered 473 feet, and it will have to be lowered at least 400 more, or 200 feet vertically at this point before the first station pumps will be reached, which are placed at the 660 foot level in the Gregory. The Palmer pump has been doing excellent work, and is lowering the water between thirty five and forty feet every twenty four hours. At the Americus Mine the water is being lowered from four to five feet every twenty four hours. At the Sleepy Hollow Mine the water yesterday noon stood about 10 feet above the back of the 560 foot level, and if nothing interferes that level will be reached probably today, but we do not anticipate that any bodies will be found much before Sunday or Monday. At every point nothing is left undone to get to the bottom of the mines at the earliest possible moment and recover the bodies.

Mr. J.W. Holman, one of the ’59 pioneers of this county, arrived last Sunday evening from Denver. He will remain here looking after mining interests until tomorrow evening. He goes from Denver to Cripple Creek and thence into the Gunnison County.

Lost: Between Central and the Bonanza tunnel, an opal pin. The finder will be rewarded. –Nora Galligan.

Born: In Kansas City, Mo., September 22, 1895, to the wife of G.J. Marshall, of Central City, twins – daughter and son. The happy father received this information by mail yesterday. He left on the morning passenger train for Kansas City.

Born: In Mountain House District, Gilpin County, September 20, 1895, to the wife of Geo. H. Jerome, a daughter.

Married: In Hebron, Nebraska, September 22, 1895, Miss Myrtle Wright of that place and Mr. Jesse F. Montgomery of Gilpin County, Colorado. No cards.

Married: In Georgetown, Colorado, September 25, 1895, at the residence of the bride’s parents, Dr. E.S. McWhorter of Central City, and Miss Selma Springer of Georgetown. Mr. William McWhorter, brother of the groom and Miss Clara Springer, sister of the bride, acted as groomsman and bridesmaid. The ceremony which united the happy couple was witnessed by a few of the intimate friends of the contracting parties. They will take up a residence in this city on their return from their bridal trip to Colorado Springs. The groom is a well-known society man of this city and the bride a society belle of Georgetown. That their married life will ever be pleasant and their voyage over matrimonial seas long and prosperous is the wish of their many friends and acquaintances.

Died: In Mountain House District, Gilpin County, September 25, 1895, A.J. infant son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Nichols, aged 11 months. Interment was made in the Black Hawk Cemetery on Dory Hill.

Died: In Central City, September 26, 1895, Francis Chapman, of miner’s consumption, aged 55 years. The funeral will take place from the M.E. Church, Central City, on Sunday morning next at 10 o’ clock. Friends invited.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button