Community
Entertainment

Turkaly Family Benefit Concert

Featuring Raven and the High School Band

By Sunny Vincent

The community was “Rockin’ out” this Friday night at Gilpin County School’s auditorium. The band Raven which consists of a group of four Gilpin County students started the concert with National Anthem in the style of Jimi Hendrix featuring John Holsten.

Before the concert began Gary Haarbye introduced the Turkaly family who gave a heartfelt thanks to all who were there to support their family and Casen, “The Main Man” as Haarbye called him, also told the entire audience “Thanks” as he danced around on the stage in anticipation for the concert to begin. The Turkaly family is working hard to cover medical bills for their son who is battling Shwachman-Diamond Syndrome.

Raven came out to start the concert and rocked the house, getting the crowd up and dancing. The band Raven included the following students: Chris “Bottle neck” Bleske on guitar, Johnee Hendrix on guitar, Tatum “Thunder Bunny” Lepro on drums, and on lead vocals and bass “Raven.” Raven rocked the following songs: “Hit Me With Your Best Shot,” “Kryptonite,” “The Wind Cries Mary,” “Sweet Home Alabama,” and “Wish You Were Here.”

Next, the high school band continued the concert with many songs. They started out with, “Are You Gonna Be My Girl” featuring Jonathan Ramsey on lead vocal. Then they continued with “Refugee” and “Here Comes the Sun” with a violin solo featuring Nina Halsted. They kept the crowd going with “Moon Dance” that featured a flute and violin duet featuring Nina Halsted and Kayla Whisenant. Next was “Slow Ride” with an introductory drum solo by Tatum Lepro and vocal by Gary Haarbye.

The concert continued with “What I Got,” and followed by “Clocks” with a flute duet featuring Andromeda Ramsey and Kayla Whisenant, piano accompaniment by Katura Sales. “My Cherie Amour” was played as flute solo featuring Kayla Whisenant. Then Mike “Turkey” Yerkman gave the crowd a drum solo and when he was done ran into the audience and gave Cason his drum sticks.

“All Along the Watchtower” was next with the entire band playing and then “My Heart Will Go On” (with another flute solo featuring Andromeda Ramsey accompaniment by Katura Sales on piano and Loran Rich on guitar. Then the band played “Take Me Out” and “Dani California,” followed by an improvisational jam played by Trevor Dziedzic and Mike Yerkman. Then the concert ended with “Even Flow” and the finale “Oye Como Va” with the entire band playing and Haarbye singing.

The high school band consists of the following students: Chris Bleske, Trevor Dziedzic, Nina Halsted, Loran Rich, Andromeda Ramsey, Jonathan Ramsey, Katura Sales, Kayla Whisenant, Michael Yerkman, John Holsten, and Tatum Lepro.

Many were dancing throughout the concert. Haarbye would like to give a special thanks to Jada Ghodes and Tyler Krug for taking care of the donations at the door. And to Tyler Stevens and Zach Schell who helped as the stage crew.

If you would like to help support the Turkaly family there will be another benefit put on at Roy’s Last Shot on, Saturday May 25th from noon to 5:00 p.m. It is an all you can eat barbeque and side dishes at $12 for adults and $6 for children 10 and under. There will also be a silent auction and raffle with lots of great items. The band “Raven” will be playing again along with the band “Hot Spell.”

1 view
bookmark icon