Community
Government

Snow, pot, and water on Council’s agenda

• Bookmarks: 1

City Manager Daniel Miera introduces himself to Council

By David Josselyn

The Central City Council met for a regular meeting on Tuesday, August 5th, 2014 at 7:09. All members except Mayor Ron Engels were present. Alderman Bob Spain acted as mayor pro-tem.

Consent Agenda

The first item of business was approving the consent agenda which included the regular bill lists of July 17, 24, and 31; and the City Council minutes of July 15. Alderman Kathy Heider moved to approve the regular bill lists and Council minutes and was seconded by Alderman Shirley Voorhies. The motion passed unanimously.

Public Forum

The Council opened the floor to the public for addressing any issue on the evening’s agenda. No one from the public came forward to comment on any agenda items.

Snow removal agreement renewed

Utilities Superintendent Shawn Griffith reviewed the Prospectors Run Snow Removal Agreement with the Council. This is a renewal of an agreement originally entered in 2011 in order to help mitigate any possible effects that the City’s sand/salt ice mixture was having on Mack Road which is not asphalt. The agreement has been renewed annually since its inception. Renewal of the agreement would incur a cost of $800 a month to the City from October through May in exchange for Prospectors Run Homeowners Association maintining the road. Alderman Kathy Heider asked for clarification that they are doing this only for Mack Road because Mack Road is a city road and the rest are not. Griffith replied yes that is the case. Alderman Shirley Voorhies moved to approve the first reading of the Ordinance and was seconded by Alderman Gaines. The motion passed unanimously.

No pot for you

Assistant City Attorney Kathie Guckenberger introduced Ordinance 14-07 which would amend certain provisions of Article IX of Chapter 6 and Article I of Chapter 16 of the Municipal Code. The Ordinance would amend current regulations to prohibit all commercial marijuana operations not already contemplated and permitted by the City and the State of Colorado. This would include establishments such as marijuana clubs allowing consumption. Since this Ordinance also changes zoning language, it has to first be approved by the Planning Commission. The Planning Commission will meet next on September 3, 2014. Alderman Voorhies asked that should they approve this tonight, when the 2nd reading would take place. Attorney Guckenberger replied September 16th, during the regular Council Meeting. Alderman Gaines moved to approve the first hearing of Ordinance 14-07 and was seconded by Alderman Voorhies. The motion passed unanimously.

Water Plant Upgrades

Utilities Superintendent Shawn Griffith introduced Resolution 14-14 which would approve an agreement with Golder Associates, Inc. for certain water treatment plant control system improvements. This would provide upgrades to the water plant as discussed in a previous work session. “It also provides the opportunity to save a little bit of money,” added Griffith. The purchase of an upgraded system is in the 2014 budget under a capital improvement line item. Aldermran Heider moved to approve Resolution 14-14 and was seconded by Alderman Gaines. The motion passed unanimously.

Staff Updates and Council Comments

City Manager Daniel Miera informed the Council that his introduction went out in the water bills. “I have an open door policy with the staff and extend it to the community. “I invite anybody who has comments or concerns to direct them to the staff or myself.” Alderman Gaines responded “I welcome you here,” and “I am excited to have you here. I appreciate the formal way you address the council.” Alderman Gaines added that Miera may want to lose the tie. Manager Miera replied that he will most likely relax as time goes by, but he is used to dressing in a suit and tie and will expect his staff to dress appropriately to the occasion. Miera stated he has no problem putting on boots and blue jeans when going out in the field. He then encouraged the Council to go ahead and continue poking fun at him while he adjusts.

Alderman Gaines asked why they keep getting a renewal for a particular liquor license. City Clerk Reba Bechtel responded that it is a marketing tool so that the building is ready to go.

Alderman Heider queried why are the windows covered on Doc Holidays? Utilities Superintendent Griffith responded that “It’s an attempt at winterization.” Alderman Gaines quipped “I guess the summer’s over in Colorado.”

Alderman Gaines asked about the holes in the Big-T lot, “The holes have been filled in, has anything been repaired?” Griffith responded that no repair has been made to the storm drain. The holes were filled in for safety concerns.

Public Forum

The Council opened up the floor to the public to comment on any issues. There were no takers.

Next Meeting

The meeting adjourned at 7:35. Mark your calendars for Tuesday, August 19th, for the next regular Council meeting.

bookmark icon