Community
Entertainment

Jayden Carlson in concert

• Bookmarks: 1

Talented Colorado native plays Nederland

by Dave Gibson

Originally published September 2, 2010, in the Weekly Register-Call: Jayden Carlson has been playing guitar for one third of her life, which may sound like a lot until you consider that she is only nine years old. Classically trained, she quickly moved on to acoustic and electric rock, perfecting her favorite cover tunes from artists such as Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix, and Eric Clapton. Also the creator of her own material, she possesses an amazing “ear” for music and the sweetest voice you’ve ever heard. “I get excited that I get a chance to make people happy,” says phenomenon Jayden, whose beaming smile during her act confirmed it. Her version of the Beatles’ “Come Together” not only brought down the house, it rocked!

Fast-forward to April 27th, 2013: Much has transpired since I first saw Jayden perform at NedFest over 2 ½ years ago. For one thing, she is now twelve years of age. Nordic skiing, mountain biking, soccer, and camping take up some of this otherwise typical preteen’s time when she isn’t pursuing her passion for song-writing and performing. Although an adorable effervescent young girl, she has never had to rely on the “cute factor,” instead wowing audiences with pure talent. Having played at festivals before as many as 80,000 people, Colorado native Jayden is focused on developing her always impressive musical aptitude. With 3 CDs to her credit, the original acoustic title track of the latest, “Born to Fly,” is hauntingly beautiful. Her vocals as resonant as ever, Jayden has now added slide guitar to her repertoire which she adeptly demonstrated recently onstage with Blue’s Traveler’s John Popper.

Following last Saturday’s well-received appearance at the Pioneer Inn in Nederland, Jayden goes on tour with dates in Montana, Nebraska, and Illinois. Homeschooled by her mother even while on the road, Jayden is contentedly a working musician. With a promising future, it has been our privilege to witness her continued rise to stardom.

bookmark icon