Community
News

Flattening the Curve during COVID-19

• Bookmarks: 3

Artist auctions painting to support World Central Kitchen

By Sue Griggs

In the midst of the COVID-19 global pandemic, Denver artist Steve Griggs painted this watercolor cityscape on canvas depicting people walking in a downtown area, appropriately spaced, and wearing face masks. This is an unprecedented time in history and we felt it needed to be documented in his art. As we do our part by staying home, we want to contribute what we can to those who are suffering from financial hardship. Food insecurity is a real problem. Even more so during this time of unemployment and income loss. As such, we have chosen to use Steve’s art to support World Central Kitchen who in turn supports those in need.

We are auctioning ‘Flattening the Curve’ through eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flattening-The-Curve-Original-Watercolor-on-Canvas-24-x-12-Donating-Proceeds/402239313005

The 24″ x 12″ watercolor on canvas panel will be shipped to the highest bidder and 100% of the proceeds will be donated to World Central Kitchen COVID-19 Food Relief.

We always need empathy and compassion in the world. There is no greater time than now.

Filled with light and movement, artist Steve Griggs’ watercolors convey a sense of time, place and memories. Enjoy the following selection from his portfolio. He says, “I have one goal when I paint—to create an image that speaks to the viewer and moves them, in some capacity, to a deeper sense of appreciation for beauty in the world. Although my formal education was in studio art and design where I learned traditional techniques and principles, I have chosen to focus on a style that is suggestive of reality but leaves the viewer with an emotional response. When I hear someone say one of my paintings “speaks to them” I know I have achieved my goal. Whether I’m painting a landscape or cityscape, I don’t capture a moment in time but, rather, the feeling of the scene.

We don’t live in a static world. Visual elements are constantly changing. I want my paintings to show movement, progress, and an ever-evolving scene. In the city, people are moving, light and shadows are shifting, there is rhythm and motion. We’ve all been there. We’ve all experienced it. When someone views my cityscape paintings, I want them to connect with what they felt in any given city.

I’ve had people say they know the exact location depicted in my painting. Maybe that is the place I intended. Maybe it isn’t. What is important is that they connect with the feeling and emotion and it becomes the place they want it to be.

When I paint, I start with a blank paper and immediately apply color. I don’t draw on the paper first. That is not to say I don’t plan my paintings in advance. I do. I might work up a painting in my sketchbooks over several days, planning the placement, light, color, perspective and special elements. I often do a couple of “trial” paintings before completing the final piece.

Nevertheless, approaching watercolor with such a loose and free style lends itself to a fair amount of risk. Watercolor can be a relatively unforgiving medium and it doesn’t take much for a painting to get muddy. It actually takes control and mastery to create a painting that appears free!

It is the freedom in my style that allows the viewer to eschew the literal and, instead, connect with the emotion that accompanies whatever story the painting is telling them.

There is quite a bit of vulnerability in my painting style, both for me as the artist as well as for the viewer. It is in this space of vulnerability that we connect, not as painter and viewer, but as humans filling our souls through images of beauty.

Publisher’s Note

We have previously published an article about Steve returning to his roots in Central City to do a video show at the Washington Art Gallery, and are happy to help him promote the sale of this painting to support this this great cause in our nation’s time of need. See more paintings by Steve at his website, or check out his Facebook page, or on Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
https://stevegriggswatercolor.com

3 recommended
bookmark icon