Community
Entertainment

Call Me Ned performance by the Belvidere Players

• Bookmarks: 5

What happens when Grandpa Bredo thaws out?

By Jaclyn Schrock

When there is such a limited range of entertainment possibilities during our current COVID-19 pandemic, a local outdoor melodrama with social distancing is ideal. Saturdays, August 22 and 29th in Central City the musical melodrama “Call Me Ned” is presented outdoors. The quirky “frozen dead-guy” stored in a Tuff Shed near Nederland is the reason Nederland has celebrated Frozen Dead Guy Days since 2002. But, what happens if the monthly ice delivery is interrupted?

Can you image the setting of “Call Me Ned” in the funky, hippy community? As the festival scene picks up the story a band is playing. People come from far and near to celebrate the frozen dead guy during Nederland’s annual festival, hosted during the frigid cold March season. The dead guy kept -60 degrees for 20 years is actually Grandpa Bredo, born and raised in Norway.

The 2019 play, “Call Me Ned,” was presented at the annual Frozen Dead Guy Day Festival. It would have been presented in 2020, but sadly, it was cancelled right when COVID-19 closed everything down.

Could anyone believe who he was? You know, some of those in Nederland have a reputation for being a bit under the influence of Colorado’s herb of choice. So, how could anyone at the festival help Grandpa Bredo figure out even where he was, since he died in Norway, kept frozen and shipped to Nederland 20 years ago?

“Call Me Ned” is the creative results of Patrice LeBlanc and Ed Schoenradt considering what would happen when Grandpa Bredo could accidently thaw out during the Frozen Dead Guy Festival. The Belvidere Players were able to have permission to do the play during a warmer season. Presented in Central City, we may have found it easier to laugh at ourselves from a distance.

Last week’s performance of “Call Me Ned” had a crowd of supporters who enjoyed participating in the show, by dramatically calling out “Tuff Shed” whenever it is mentioned, similar to college students who attend and interact with the “Rocky Horror Picture Show” movie shows. This play is the amazing results of a cast who enjoy “playing” together and is a treat to participate in as an audience.

The garden between the Teller House and the Central City Opera House is a lovely place in the summer. Approaching from Eureka Street, the overflowing blossoms draw us into the sentinel tree tranquility and security of the massive stone walls. The entrance is centered with wooden memorial fragments of mining days, just to set the stage.

If you’d like to have a tasty lunch to have a dinner theatre experience, JKQ BBQ from next door can be contacted to order a box dinner with a beverage from the bar. JKQ has reduced hours since our wild fire season has restricted smoking meat times during the fire restrictions.

Contact JKQ to reserve a front row place in the lowest part of the garden where the street noise is reduced. There is also seating in the entry area and up on the balcony of the Opera House.

Make reservations at on Facebook/Belvidere-Players or call 303-421-2243.

5 recommended
bookmark icon