Turning Back the Pages

30 years ago – February 24, 1989

Early years of Black Hawk.

For the past two years, the Gilpin County Historical Society has suffered an annual loss of approximately $1,500 on the operation of Black Hawk’s Lace House. Unless things turn around this year, the historic structure may be closed to the public next year, according to Historical Society President Bonnie Merchant. The major expense at the Lace House is for labor, explained Merchant in a letter to the Black Hawk Council, and constructive suggestions as to how to reduce costs or increase income are being solicited from the Aldermen. Although labor costs were reduced in 1988, thereby lowering the overall loss, tour income also dropped last year by a whopping 35 percent. The Historical Society has decided that the annual loss is a burden that it cannot afford to continue to absorb.

  It was a great week for the Eagles girls’ basketball team when they defeated Temple Baptist on February 16, then trounced Belleview the following day. Ann Farrar was high scorer in both games, racking up 29 points against Temple Baptist. The final score was 39-30. The next day Farrar scored 26 points, helping the Eagle girls defeat Belleview 49-25. Amy Giroux earned 11 points, her personal all time high score in a game. The girls were set to play Westland this past Thursday. On Saturday, February 25, they will host rival Nederland at home. The game starts at 4 p.m., in the Gilpin County School gym. The girls are hoping for some community support before the district competition begins. Nederland won the previous game against the Eagles by a score of 47-14. As of press time, the Eagle girls had a season record of seven wins and six losses, which they hope to improve by the end of the week. They have already qualified to compete in the district finals and hope to have a loud cheering section to spur them on. Following the girls’ game against Nederland, which begins here at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, the boys’ basketball team will also compete against rival Nederland. “We need a loud cheering section,” said Coach Barry Wood. “This is our last game before district.” The boys’ basketball team record for the season so far is seven wins and nine losses, Wood said. Treat Cate has been making over 12 rebounds per game. Because the team has only seven players, there isn’t much time to rest during a game. With five players on the floor at all times, Wood commented, there’s a lot of running by each team member during every game. The district tournament for the girls begins Wednesday, while the boys’ tourney will begin Thursday.

  Although they put on a valiant effort, none of the five Gilpin County School wrestlers met with success at the state wrestling tournament held last week at McNichols Arena in Denver. Brook Anderson came close to a victory when he put his opponent on the mat, but ended up two points short of winning. “We faced a lot of tough opponents,” said Coach Jack Curtis after the tournament, “but next year we’ll have some seasoned veterans who gained valuable experience at this year’s meet.” Curtis is gathering information on the summer wrestling camp to give to his team, so that anyone interested in working on his skills can consider the opportunity.

60 years ago – March 6, 1959

  Right now there appears to be plenty of money for everything except mining. We in Colorado have horse races, dog races, and even bingo to allow gamblers to take a chance, but if you want to raise money for mining development, you meet handicaps that are difficult to surmount. Severe state and federal laws must be complied with. We have often thought that state and federal authorities should organize and finance an ideal company as a guide to show how such financing could be done by the men who wrote these laws and now expect the average mining man to organize a company and win success in interesting speculative money in his venture. There is practically no new mine financing underway at this time and, as a result, there is little activity in our mining districts where formerly all was activity. Our Sunday papers were filled with rather definite information as to the possibility of war with the Communists. We will need gold and lots of it to carry on a war if we consider our debt of $280 billion. Before the war starts, our government should wipe out laws that prevent mine financing and possibly give the prospector and the gold miner a bonus for the gold he produces in addition to the $35 per ounce it now pays. Russia is working its mines day and night, and our government needs to get back to our old system that opened mines, and through operations, replace those that are now idle.

Central City Nuggets:

  Mrs. Emil Thiel and Mrs. Carl Skagerberg attended the Mount Lookout Chapter of the DAR on Monday afternoon. The meeting was held at the ranch home of Mrs. Frank Crane, of Golden. Mrs. Thiel is on the National Defense committee and Mrs. Skagerberg is Magazine Chairman for the group.

  Mrs. Clifford I. Parsons returned Sunday evening from a month’s vacation spent with relatives and friends in Arizona and California. 

  Mrs. Mona Robb returned home Tuesday evening from a visit with her son, Jack, and family, in Grand Junction. Her granddaughter retuned with her and will enter the grammar school here for the duration of the school year. 

  Mrs. Inez Schmidt returned last evening from a six week vacation spent with relatives and friends in Arizona, California, and Utah. She reports a most pleasant vacation, but is glad to be home again to enjoy (?) this spring-like (?) weather.

Black Hawk Gold Dust:

  Mrs. Henry Klein was up from Denver Thursday calling on Ruth and Otto Blake. Mrs. Klein says her husband is improving in health. 

  Mr. Tony Shearer, brother of Mrs. Allender, has moved from Denver to a house in Chase Gulch.

  Mrs. Mary L. Colbert of Silver Cliff, Colorado, is spending several weeks with her grandson, Robert Pipes, and family.

  Before departing for Navy training at San Diego, Wallace Nelson was suddenly taken ill with pneumonia, and is now in Fitzsimmons Hospital.

  Mrs. Isabelle Tobin, who works at the Pine Haven Nursing Home in Morrison, was in town Tuesday.

  Among those attending the 60th wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. John Rohling, were Mr. and Mrs. Otto M. Blake, and Mr. and Mrs. Louis Carter. They reported a large attendance at the gala celebration, and that one of the features of the party was an exhibition waltz by Mr. and Mrs. Rohling.

  In Memoriam: In loving memory of Hair S. Blake, who passed away three years ago on March 1st. Signed, Mary Blake and Family

  In Memoriam: In loving memory of Thomas H. Belcher, who left us 16 years ago, March 9, 1943. Sadly missed by his family. 

90 years ago – March 1, 1929

  Mr. and Mrs. Hugo Nelson left for Denver the first of the week, where they will make their home, Mr. Nelson having secured a job with an automobile company.

  Mr. and Mrs. Clifford I. Parsons, who have been visiting relatives at Canyon City for several weeks, returned home on Sunday evening.

  Attorney Leroy J. Williams was up from Denver last week, attending to legal matters before the county court, returning home on Sunday afternoon.

  Mrs. Bernice Falkenberg of Los Angeles, California, daughter of Mr. Sol. Bacharack, arrived in Central Tuesday afternoon, and in the following day disposed of the entire stock of goods which her father owned to Denver parties. She said she visited her father in the Jewish Hospital in Denver, but he was unable to recognize her, and that he was gradually failing in health and very little prospects of his recovery.

  Died: William D. Saunders, Representative from Gilpin County to the state legislature, was found frozen to death in a vacant building near his residence in Black Hawk, Wednesday evening, about 7:30 o’clock, by Charles Robins and William Hamilton, neighbors, who were searching for him. Coroner George Hamllik, and Sheriff Oscar Williams were notified and brought the body to the undertaking rooms in the city, where a partial examination was made to see if he had met with foul means, or had been robbed. No injures of such a nature were revealed, and as watch and chain were in his vest, and his pocketbook untouched, the theory of robbery was abandoned, and the conclusion was reached that he must have had a fainting spell or a stroke that felled him and he froze to death. Mr. Saunders came up from Denver Friday afternoon last week, as was his custom, returning to Denver Sunday afternoon to be present Monday morning at the regular session of the legislature. He was not seen after Saturday, and it was supposed he had gone back to Denver Sunday afternoon. What led to the finding of his body resulted from Otto Blake’s discovery that the back door of Mr. Saunders residence was open, and he informed William Hamilton, who was a partner of Mr. Saunders in business matters: he had better go up and see if the house had been broken into and contents removed. Entering the front room, Mr. Hamilton found the overcoat, small valise, and scarf of Mr. Saunders lying onto table, and realizing at once that he had not gone to Denver, made a search of the premises for him, but without success. He then called on Charles Robins, a neighbor, and told him of what he had found, and with the aid of a flashlight made a thorough search of the premises, but found nothing, until they went out the back door, where they saw foot prints in the snow leading to a vacant house adjoining, but none indicating a return. They followed the foot prints and found Mr. Saunders lying on the floor in one the rooms, dead. Mr. Saunders had been a resident of the county for over 30 years, was a bachelor, about 55 years of age, and was elected by the Democrats in 1924, and last fall was reelected for a second term. He was a member of Black Hawk Lodge No. 11, A.F.&A.M., and is survived by two sisters residing in California; Mrs. Rachel Maughan at Porterville and Mrs. Bessie Hodges of near Porterville. Mr. Saunders was a very pleasant and agreeable gentleman, and made lasting friendship with everyone he came in contact with, and as a member of the legislature worked for the best interests of the people, and at the present session was the author of a number of bills for consideration by the legislature. Coroner Hamllik, Thursday morning, is considering further particulars in Black Hawk in connection with this death, and may decide a coroner’s inquest will be unnecessary.

120 years ago – March 3, 1889

  Mr. L.E. Pennock, of Black Hawk, form assayer at the State Ore Sampling Works at Black Hawk, left to Eldora, Boulder County, Saturday, where he has secured a good position with a chlorination plant located at that place.

  Senator S.V. Newell telephoned this office Wednesday that he had attended a meeting of officials of the Colorado & Southern Railroad in Denver, and was assured that a new depot would soon be under construction here by the company, to take the place and the present building now used for that purpose.

  Mr. Henry P. Lowe came up from Denver Wednesday and closed down the Topeka Mine until weather conditions get better. He said there was between 600 and 700 tons of ore in the mine already to hoist, but not being able to get coal to the mine, and with the quartz haulers not able to haul ore to the mills and smelters, he regretted greatly the necessity of closing down, and throwing his force out of work. He also reported that three more sacks of high grade ore was shipped to Denver to be added to that already there, which will melted up into bullion later on.

  Manager A.L. Collins, of the Gregory-Bobtail properties, announced the first of the week that the company which he represents will suspend operation on the Gregory-Bobtail group of mines on the 18th of this month, unless some arrangement is made by parties now getting the benefit of the pumping plant on that property, in keeping their mines free from water, standing their share of that expense. The Fisk company is the only one that is standing their share of that expense, and have been paying $1,000 per month to that end, while other companies who are benefitted fully as much with the pumps going, and their mines kept free from water, who have not contributed one cent to that extra expense. A meeting was being held in New York City this week, to consider conditions, and it was hoped that some arrangements would be made to keep the pumps going.

  Mr. A. Rapin & Company, who are operating the Wedge Mine in Lake District under lease, are keeping up development work with encouraging results. An assay on a body of ore showing in the upraise carried 10.20 ounces gold, 6.20 ounces silver, and 30 percent copper; a total valuation of $307.72 per ton. The miners are taking out ore in the upraise and shipments will be made during the coming week.

Born: In Central City, February 26th, 1899, to the wife of Anton Richter, a son.

Born: In Black Hawk, February 17th, 1899, to the wife of E.A. Dewey, a son.

Born: In Black Hawk, February 18th, 1899, to the wife of Matt Andrietti, a son.

Born: In Central City, February 24th, 1899, to the wife of Theodore Olson, a daughter.

Born: In Nevadaville, February 20th, 1899, to the wife of John Jaka, a daughter.

Born: In Nevadaville, February 26th, 1899, to the wife of George Nankervis, a daughter.

Married: In Central City, March 2nd, 1899, John P. Rohling and Miss Maud Mitchell, both of Black Hawk.

Married: In Central City, March 2nd, 1899, Justice Thomas Hooper officiating, Mr. Willis G. Osborn and Miss Clara Wilson, both of this city.

Died: On Dory Hill, February 28th, 1899, of pneumonia, Emma D., wife of W.S. Floyd, aged 45 years.

Died: In Central City, February 27th, 1899, son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Wennen, aged 11 months.

Died: In Central City, March 1st, 1899, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Nylander, aged 1 month. 

151 years ago – March 5, 1869

  Colonel George E. Randolph, superintendent of the Ophir Company, returned from the East on Saturday.

  The Tascher Company has just enclosed their new stamp mill and was busy crushing ore from the mines in this vicinity, as was also the Kimber Mill just above in Eureka Gulch.

  Thursday, March 4, as the day when President Andrew Johnson stepped out of the presidential chair and gave way to President Grant.

  Parties came to Central Wednesday with a load of tar, which they made at Bear Creek.

  The report of the public schools in Central City showed that the number of children between the ages of 6 and 21 was 300; that the average daily attendance was 104; and the number attending school was 160.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button